Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SMS now has a strut tower brace for the RL, which, in my opinion, looks better than the SPS. It's $149. There's also an anti-roll bar listed but I'm not sure if it will work on or is needed on the RL. Goofy, are you still thinking about making a strut tower brace?

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Good find; looks a little plain-jane, but it works. Damn I wish I had money . . . :(

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Is one of these really going to make a difference in handling? I am not exactly throwing my car into turns. Would one of these do anything for everyday driving ?

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
jeepin79 said:
Is one of these really going to make a difference in handling? I am not exactly throwing my car into turns. Would one of these do anything for everyday driving ?
You would notice it definitely. Bump-steer would be almost gone, the car would be a bit more responsive, and body roll would greatly reduce up front. It would feel overall more stable.

I like that, might have to get one and paint it black :D

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Although I've never put one on, I beleive that Progress sway bar WILL work with the Redline. AFAIK it doesnt pass through the V-beam like the stock bar, and just bolts to the trailing arms and runs behind the beam. I wonder what affect adding an additional 22mm bar would have on the RLs handling? Too much??
WOT

PS> I think the SPS strut bar looks a lot more "refined".
Is the SMS bar even alum alloy? (doesn't look like it) Steel brackets with a piece of plumbing pipe?? :confused: The significant "drop" (and resulting leverage) on those brackets is going to be too flexible IMO. I think it needs more gusseting. Guess it would depend if you're putting it on for "the look" or to actually stabilze the strut towers.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
Schizzo97SC2 said:
You would notice it definitely. Bump-steer would be almost gone, the car would be a bit more responsive, and body roll would greatly reduce up front. It would feel overall more stable.

I like that, might have to get one and paint it black :D
i'm not sure it would affect it that much. even though i haven't tried one out, we've got one of the stiffest chassis' right now, and it's been said before that adding a strut tower brace doesn't really affect the ion so much...

·
Registered
372 Posts
Even with a super stiff chassis there's always room for improvement IMHO.

I'll probably buy one soon, I'll post once I get it on. :cool:

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
Lucifer said:
Even with a super stiff chassis there's always room for improvement IMHO.

I'll probably buy one soon, I'll post once I get it on. :cool:
agreed, but i don't think it'll be quite that dramatic...

·
Registered
361 Posts
Just took a look at that strut bar and it is definitely not the best looking one, but its one-piece construction looks to be more stable than the SPS 3-piece construction. While the SPS one does look better, I have a feeling that the SMS one is going to perform slightly better.

For those wondering if a strut bar will help any, I put one on my SC2, it's a 3-piece construction and my car holds the road much better. I can take corners 10-15 mph faster and on almost bald tires. I don't know about the ION but I'm assuming you will see at least small gains and they make the engine bay look soooooooo much better.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
So does anyone here have any actual facts or evidence? .... cause all i'm seeing is alot of hypothetical situations. If you've never had one on a car, how can you assume what kind of a difference it makes? The make strut tower bars for TONS of cars. 350Zs come with them stock, and they have one of the stiffest chassis every made for a sports car...

There's one person here with the SPS one, and he claimed it made quite the noticeable difference on the car...

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It's not the prettiest but you could paint it or chrome it. I'm more of a "form follows function" kind of guy so all I require is that it fits. It's also $50 less than the SPS. I would like to know how much each weighs, though. If GoofyGuy makes one, I might go with his.

·
Registered
4,965 Posts
Sp00ner said:
There's one person here with the SPS one, and he claimed it made quite the noticeable difference on the car...
I think Sinister Redline is the one that has it, because I think I remember seeing it when all the pictures of the spark plug cover were coming out.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I have a SPS strut bar and I did notice a difference the car feels much tighter in the corners. Pics are in the gallery.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Strut tower braces are a proven upgrade in all cars. Any way to stiffen the frame, expecially where suspension parts are attached, helps the responce of the vehicle.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Liljon said:
The RL does not suffer from torque steer. The "half shafts" are equal length, which would rule out torque steer.
Maybe it's my car then. When I'm hard on it, especially in 2nd it seems, the car wants to pull to the left. I know it's not the alignment as on a straight stretch of road the car still tracks straight.

Later,
Chrome...

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Chrome said:
Maybe it's my car then. When I'm hard on it, especially in 2nd it seems, the car wants to pull to the left. I know it's not the alignment as on a straight stretch of road the car still tracks straight.

Later,
Chrome...

I noticed it too but only when the road is uneven.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Liljon said:
Strut tower braces are a proven upgrade in all cars. Any way to stiffen the frame, expecially where suspension parts are attached, helps the responce of the vehicle.
I agree but usually only neccessary if you increase your cornering traction with larger tires or slicks. About 10 years ago a bunch of buddies and I actually bolted a pair of dial indicators up against one of those 3 nuts on the strut tower of an S-car (with the hood removed) and took it around the local circuit. We found the strut towers were deflecting by as much as .200-.250" , which can have quite an effect on your geometry- typically rolling your outside wheel affecting camber,(which you dont want).With a bar tying the towers together , we were still able to get SOME deflection, but it was like a fraction of what it was, requiring significantly fewer steering corrections through the corner.

FYI
Adding a brace will have little effect on "torque steer" (caused by unequal delivered torque to the drive wheels) or "bump-steer" for that matter which by definition is a change in TOE, as your suspension travels through it's range. Lowering kits however WILL often have a negative "bump steer" effect, unless you are using a spacing device to adjust the tie-rod end or steering gear by the same amout you "dropped" your car.

HTH
WopOnTour

HTH
WopOnTour

1 - 20 of 32 Posts