Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car has about 80-90k on this set of OEM replacement struts/shocks now and I'm going to replace them.

I've read a bunch on the FE5 kits and that seems the way to go.

HOWEVER, I do want a good amount of performance out of this thing as far as handling goes. Would some kind of Konis be a better option? I do not want to go coilovers.

This car has Eibach lowering springs as it sits on Sparco wheels with fresh Continental DW tires.

Also, while I'm doing struts/shocks, what else can I add that will improve the handling on this without spending a fortune? Do strut braces help much? What else can I do? Thanks in advance :cool:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Forgot to mention that I would like to do some Autocross at some point in this cars life. I might have to save up for the Pedders it looks like, but I don't know...

·
Registered
9,397 Posts
I guess it depends what class you want to run in autox what you can add to the car.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well ultimately, I don't care about being competitive...I just want it to handle really well. So it can be just about anything.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Yup you could do pedders for a tiny bit cheaper I think but the YYZ Are a better spring made by ion enthusiasts and all ya have to do is stick em in.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sounds good to me. Are the upgraded sway bars worth that much in these cars? Plan on doing strut tower brace and wondered if the rear sway bar was worthwhile. I'm completely going over this car; it's worn out.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Sounds good to me. Are the upgraded sway bars worth that much in these cars? Plan on doing strut tower brace and wondered if the rear sway bar was worthwhile. I'm completely going over this car; it's worn out.
Rear bar is more worth it over the strut bar specially for autoX cause it keeps the rear more stable, something the ions lack. Personally I get nothing from the strut brace but it looks good and in theory it should do something. LSD and rotated mounts are great upgrade and Powell cabs are good too when ya have the cash.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Powell cabs? And that was what I was thinking...These things are very light in the ass end and I hate it; especially under heavy braking.

LSD will be done when the trans gets rebuilt ;)

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
If you haven't replaced the stock with FE5 already it is prolly time anyway to replace whole arm. They are lighter and stronger than stock.
I've got stock control arms in it. What about the tubular arms from zzp? Are those any good?
Not sure on those, I asked about em awhile back don't think anyone here has tried them.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Could you guys post links to both the strut and rear bars you're talking about/have? While upgrading my suspension I might as well looking into them at least for consideration.

Further, this YYZ plug and play kit from CED - is it just an upgrade to FE5 or are those also lowering springs? Description doesn't say. Thanks again for all the help!

:cowsmile:

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Could you guys post links to both the strut and rear bars you're talking about/have? While upgrading my suspension I might as well looking into them at least for consideration.

Further, this YYZ plug and play kit from CED - is it just an upgrade to FE5 or are those also lowering springs? Description doesn't say. Thanks again for all the help!

powellracing have the better rear bars but they aren't cheap. The hardcore is 250 and the XXX is 285 plus shipping. I plan on getting:
ZZP Rear Sway Bar

Not sure where the strut bars are from I got one used.

I believe the YYZ are a slight drop like an inch to inch and half on a rl. If you are putting them in a normal ion it will be a large drop.

·
Registered
270 Posts
You're awesome 1313, thanks for all the info! Maybe I'll just contact CES and inquire about the drop on the plug & play kit. As you said, if there's even "just" at 1" drop it will be a huge drop from my ION stock height compared to your Redlines.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
You're awesome 1313, thanks for all the info! Maybe I'll just contact CES and inquire about the drop on the plug & play kit. As you said, if there's even "just" at 1" drop it will be a huge drop from my ION stock height compared to your Redlines.

You will end up with the same gap as a redline with the same setup. They are in truth the same car.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Ahh crap, as usual us Canadians get the short end of the stick. Looks like CES doesn't ship to Canada. You guys think it's hard just GETTING parts for your cars, try living up here and not even being able to get them even if we FIND them!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts