Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
yea i should have known the type of people i would come across in that group. having plenty of experience with FB groups in the past for other subjects i have seen this type of attitude before. thankfully there are a number of decent folk in the group as well. and im not denying that i did overpay by a little. she was 4800 so i overpaid by around 800 in my mind. total was 5065.00 all taxes and titles included of course but i dont really consider a tag fee and whatnot as part of the baseline price. plus after getting in touch with my credit union again yesterday and signing the loan agreement turns out im only paying 2.2% interest not the 7% they originally quoted me at. the paperwork indicated that in borrowing 4k i will only be paying back around 4125 or 4150 total so only 150 max in interest on the car. id like to see anyone in that group get a better interest rate on a car loan. not to mention my insurance, with full coverage, is only 69 bucks a month or so. doubt any of them have that low of a monthly payment on a fully covered car.

still havent picked up the car yet. should be tomorrow or the next day. the credit union is sending the ckeck by mail instead of direct deposite. they wanted to charge me 25 bucks and i am fine waiting another day or two to save 25 bucks. the credit union is in the same state so it shouldnt take more than a day or two to arrive. i will have her within a week of my birthday and thats what really matters.

you cant tell in the pictures but shes actually quite a bit dirty. bird poop etc. i cant even see the supposed wax job ppl commented about in the group on FB. ill be using some nice car cleaner i bought years ago and havent used much that is top of the line stuff. normally costs a few hundred online but i got it cheap in person at a special sams club was having. ill probably touch up the engine bay as well even though it is fairly clean. really clean compared to a lot of the pictures i saw on the FB group of peoples engines.

also found out that for sure the previous owner didnt check the timing chain, they had plans to had they kept it but didnt do it yet. so that will be one of my first things to check after i change the IC pump. though i still need to confirm thats not working which im pretty sure its not since it seems like no matter how much fluid i add i cant bring the level up to the plastic resevior.

sorry to ramble on but i find it funny how so many people consider 125k miles a "high mileage" car. this car will be the lowest mileage car i have ever owned and so far as saturns go they easily break the 200k mile mark. id be more than happy with 75k miles out of her but i think i will be able to get her closer to 300k with no major issues so long as i do some regular touch ups like the timing chin and bushings you mentioned. i checked the cv joints, or whatever they are called, on the car by rocking the tires/wheels to see if there was any play in them or noise. they didnt budge an inch. once i have her i will upload more pics and probably a few other posts eventually. ill for sure be asking some questions when i go to change the IC pump though i will mainly read the old posts about it since there are step by step instuctions

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Congratulations man! Welcome to the club....time to go smoke some unsuspecting V8'S
not until i get that IC pump checked out or replaced! dont wanna be going too hard on the engine and supercharger with a broken IC pump. maybe ill just smoke a honda or two in the meantime. whats crazy about these cars is their 0-60 time is better than a lot of V8s even if the V8s have more power. then again its more so about the driver so i will have to do some practice especially since im still not use to driving stick again. been watching some helpful videos on youtube about how to launch it, double clutch, as well as some general helpful tips about how to keep the clutch in good condition like rpm/rev matching when shifting. but back in the day i drove my sl2 saturn like a race car and i powered through the gears with no problem after i had been driving it for a few weeks. i loved that 98hp car so i cant wait to see how it is driving a 205hp car!

now is it true that a lot of these were underrated from the factory at 205hp and were sometimes closer to 210-220hp? i guess without a dyno i wont know for sure what my car is. i imagine if the IC pump isnt working im not getting that full 205 anyway.

also learned shes not a pure base model. shes got onstar and a few other non base model add ons too. and from what i can tell i think shes almost hooked up for a nice sound system in her. i think i still have my old amps and such so if i do wanna put in a tasteful soundsystem i can. nothing crazy. only a 500-1000 wat RMS system and 2 10" subs. had it very well done on my last car so that you couldnt hear it much from outside the car, no rattling panels, but you felt it on the inside like crazy. it was a plexiglass ported box and i kept the plexiglass facing down so the sound and vibrations traveled through the frame and into my seats. i had it set up that way because i took my sister around some and shes deaf so i wanted her to feel the beat

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Frequent the oil changes every 3k and stick to acdelco filters. Helps out the timing tremendously. "Supposedly" my base model has almost 300k on the original timing chain (ive only had this one about 1k miles) but I did the oil change last week, and it was still golden. I bought the car off my buddy and he never let it go 3k without a change.

IC pump is super easy to do. You'll see once your under there. But the hoses are glued on from the factory, so almost expect to need to put new hoses on it because you'll want to cut them after fighting to break them free (assuming no one has done the pump before)

Napa sells a Mercedes one that fits with a 1 year warranty. Told me to bring it in every 8-10 months to warranty it out, they don't care. Haha

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Frequent the oil changes every 3k and stick to acdelco filters. Helps out the timing tremendously. "Supposedly" my base model has almost 300k on the original timing chain (ive only had this one about 1k miles) but I did the oil change last week, and it was still golden. I bought the car off my buddy and he never let it go 3k without a change.

IC pump is super easy to do. You'll see once your under there. But the hoses are glued on from the factory, so almost expect to need to put new hoses on it because you'll want to cut them after fighting to break them free (assuming no one has done the pump before)

Napa sells a Mercedes one that fits with a 1 year warranty. Told me to bring it in every 8-10 months to warranty it out, they don't care. Haha
napa sells the hoses or the pumps? yea i read about them being glued on and a bitch to change without cutting the lines. i will want to get some hoses and the pump at the same time so i dont have to worry about my car being in various parts and needing to drive to the store. still gonna check well to see if the pump is working when i get the car, hopefully tomorrow or the next day.

the seller says they have only ever used mobil one full synthetic oil. so i suppose i will have to switch to using synthetic oil which i have always used truditional motor oil in my cars. not sure of the benefits of using fully synthetic oil but i guess i will learn. ill give her an oil change every 3000 or so then. i think it was recently changed but still i will want to do it the next even 1000 miles on the odometer. im use to doing it every 5000 on other cars as i have been told more often than that is a waste but im thinking with a performance car its best to change often for the life of the parts. any input on synthetic vs regular oil?

also good news is most of the pumps locally have 93 octane fuel and i think a few even have 100!

would a tune to the car be worth it without any mods? just to remove the rev limmiter and such? also to have it tuned to 93 octane or will the car already have tuned itself since its been on 93 octane its whole life?

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Napa sells the pumps. I just bought some coolant hose and re ran all the lines when I bought my redline.
Most people will argue the 3k on the oil change. But why not? Its the health of your engine.
A tune on stock is useless. You wont see anything else out of it. And 93 is fine to just roll with. 91/93 is about the same. So it wont hurt. Just don't use 87 or 89.
I'm not really sure how it would do on 100. I think my buddy used a tank of it on his stock car no tune. I can't remember though.

I run whatever in my base model and it adjusts as such. But it's speed density not maf. I can get away with a bit more. My redline is tuned on 93 though and thats all it sees

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
alright so double checking the IC pump it may be working and was just low on fluid. secondly whats funny is there was no check engine light when i first started her and left, after i got gas it came on so im sure they been clearing the codes at the dealership. shes been sitting since febuary so it could just be an O2 sensor but i will know more when i plug up an OBD reader to it and check it.

on another note there is a slight creek or rumble with the steering i assume is the tie rod ends or the other part you mentioned earlier goaliemo. all in all she seems to drive well, shes laying down the power still and its hard not to spin those wheels, not because i want to haha. all the ball joints or cv joints seem ok, no rock in the car when i push with my foot on the wheel to try and rock it.

i assume its throwing codes from having been sitting but who knows.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts