Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to intro myself...New to the Redline and wanted to say hello and learn from what I read in here....current owner of 04 civic si and will be trading soon and the redline seems to be a contender for my budget.

I like the cars and my wife has a fwd v6 Saturn vue and I enjoy the Saturn product...

Nice to meet ya,
Parts Pimp

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Welcome to the boards, the Redline is a nice step up from the Civ.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
I am from Holly Springs, about 5 minutes southeast of raleigh. I got mine (an 04) in Chapel Hill, but if you check w/ Saturn of Cary, they might still have some 04's... Basically the same car... There are two very minor differences and one major difference between the two, and they are offering mad discounts/rebates on the 04's....
The differences that i know of are, there is a sweet fuel rail cover on the 05... the 04 has the fuel rail/injector assembley exposed.

The 04 has three slits on the bottom of the the rear bumper (body kit area), the 05 has 4... I don't know why they changed that, but whatever

The major difference is on the 05, they are going to start offering the Competition Package. There are two really sweet things in that, an LSD!!!!!! (which our car despretely needs) and fog/driving lights that fill the inserts. But that will cost 2500 on top of the 21k base price... Not sure how much you want to drop on it.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
ptparker said:
The 04 has three slits on the bottom of the the rear bumper (body kit area), the 05 has 4... I don't know why they changed that, but whatever
Good catch... I don't think I ever noticed that...

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Sp00ner said:
Good catch... I don't think I ever noticed that...
I think that might be the only difference on the outside. Someone chime in if they know something else...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What is the Stock boost amount? what psi? I have heard of people boosting 18psi on stock internals....Is that true? Thanks for the input.....

·
Registered
296 Posts
ptparker said:
...The major difference is on the 05, they are going to start offering the Competition Package. There are two really sweet things in that, an LSD!!!!!! (which our car despretely needs) and fog/driving lights that fill the inserts. But that will cost 2500 on top of the 21k base price... Not sure how much you want to drop on it.
The competition package (assuming you are buying new) only adds $1470 to the cost of a new RL... adding the comp package components to our older RLs will cost roughly $2500.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
jmichna said:
The competition package (assuming you are buying new) only adds $1470 to the cost of a new RL... adding the comp package components to our older RLs will cost roughly $2500.
+ Labour :p
WOT

PS> Welcome PP!

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Parts Pimp said:
What is the Stock boost amount? what psi? I have heard of people boosting 18psi on stock internals....Is that true? Thanks for the input.....
There are about 234234234231554 posts discussing incresing the boost. Here is the digest in the shortest amount space possible. Each point below has at least 347754754 posts about it.

-- Stock boost is 12 PSI. Period. There is a bypass that kicks in and does not let it get over that. Don't even think about disabling that bypass. World of problems begin.
-- Without ECU modifications (i will touch on later) you cannot get anything noticable over that
-- If you swap the pully with a smaller one, you can get to 12 psi quickly, but again, that is the max
-- PSI-FI is a company in NJ. They are about to (any day/week now) release a kit (stage 0 or 1 depending on how you count) that will do three things that I know of: 1) smaller pully = more boost faster; 2) different injectors = more fuel into the engine; 3) a piggy back unit that straps onto the ecu = getting around the 2bar MAP sensor limitation, allowing more boost (18 to be exact), allowing more fuel into the engine
-- There are no dyno charts yet of the psi-fi kit, but there are a few ppl in the forum that have this kit installed (lucky bastards live in NJ or PA, are in the 'beta' program) and they love it.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
The only Redline that I've even seen close up is Vitas, and it was dark and his is black. Other than that I've never really seen one driving for more than a split second...

I'm ashamed though... my keen obervational skills have let me down...

·
Registered
4,556 Posts
we cant even add it to our old redlines...

keith-

·
Registered
296 Posts
SilverRedLine04 said:
we cant even add it to our old redlines...

keith-
Keith,
Are you talking about the competition package components? If so, the service manager at my Saturn Dealer (Glenview, IL) has said they will (eventually) have access to the parts comprising the competition package, and they will be able to install them, as "replacement" parts. Supposedly, the fog lights should be available by the end of May, the LSD should be available mid-June... didn't really ask about any of the other stuff, as these are the two things I'm most interested in. We will get hit hard with the labor charges... sigh. :eek:

·
Registered
196 Posts
ptparker said:
The 04 has three slits on the bottom of the the rear bumper (body kit area), the 05 has 4
I know it's not a big deal, but the newer bumper cover (with the 4 slits) was added during the end of the 2004 model run. Mine is a late '04 and has the 4 slits. My brother's '04 was built after mine and also had 4 slits.

ptparker said:
There is a sweet fuel rail cover on the 05... the 04 has the fuel rail/injector assembley exposed.
I just added the fuel rail cover myself. Looks cool.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Signals said:
I know it's not a big deal, but the newer bumper cover (with the 4 slits) was added during the end of the 2004 model run. Mine is a late '04 and has the 4 slits. My brother's '04 was built after mine and also had 4 slits.

I just added the fuel rail cover myself. Looks cool.
So signal will be our test monkey for making everyone's 04 an 05-Comp....
Wonder why they changed the rear bumper facia...
I wonder how much that LSD will be installed..... Not the qualife but the SAAB/GM one....

·
Registered
296 Posts
ptparker said:
... I wonder how much that LSD will be installed..... Not the qualife but the SAAB/GM one....
My dealer's service department manager has told me to expect around $2200 or more... a lot of labor involved in this differential swap.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
at 2 and a half boxes of ziti (thanks, tony soprano), I am happy with one wheel spinning at a time :-D

now, show me somethng for a grand (or close) installed, and I will be the first in line.... OK, so maybe not FIRST, but I will get in that line...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts