Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, excited to join the Redline crew.

Bought my first '05 Ion Redline yesterday as a fun daily and also as my first manual car. 175k miles, but the previous owner took care of it, and it came from California, so essentially no rust. Pretty much stock, but after I do some basic maintenance and fix a few things, I'll plan on a couple simple mods.

As a new owner, is there anything I should know or replace right away? The first thing I want to do is replace the hood, as it has a dent in it. I'm guessing I couldn't use a base Ion hood, so any pointers on the best place to get one (preferably not replacement, trying to keep it OEM).

Thanks all!

·
Super Moderator
1,608 Posts
Welcome!

Base model coupe hood will fit.
Def first to check would be control arm bushings and intercooler pump.

Has thw timing chain been done?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome!

Base model coupe hood will fit.
Def first to check would be control arm bushings and intercooler pump.

Has thw timing chain been done?
Awesome. Any good places where I can get a hood, or should I just resort to junkyards or Ebay?

Control arm bushings were done, but not the intercooler pump. I don't think the timing chain has been done recently, so I'll add that to the list too.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Awesome. Any good places where I can get a hood, or should I just resort to junkyards or Ebay?

Control arm bushings were done, but not the intercooler pump. I don't think the timing chain has been done recently, so I'll add that to the list too.
How bad is the dent? Can it be pulled out, it would save you a lot of hassle. Welcome to the R/L. As Gole

welcome to the R/L forums. As mentioned above, timing chain is a must, along with the guides, guide bolt, water pump and probably balance chains at that mileage. Check Rock Auto for the full Cloyes kit. Might as well do it all while your in there. Oh and you’ll get the updated hydraulic chain tensioner with the kit too.
Did you ask a dent repair place about that hood? They may be able to pull it out.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How bad is the dent? Can it be pulled out, it would save you a lot of hassle. Welcome to the R/L. As Gole

welcome to the R/L forums. As mentioned above, timing chain is a must, along with the guides, guide bolt, water pump and probably balance chains at that mileage. Check Rock Auto for the full Cloyes kit. Might as well do it all while your in there. Oh and you’ll get the updated hydraulic chain tensioner with the kit too.
Did you ask a dent repair place about that hood? They may be able to pull it out.
Dent is at a weird sharp angle, pulling it out is probably not an option.
Thanks for the info, I'll definitely grab that Cloyes kit. Much easier to replace all the components in one go.

·
Super Moderator
1,608 Posts
I dont think you can buy hoods anymore. Junk yards are normally my go to. You near east texas by chance? My local yard has 2 coupes

·
Premium Member
2,156 Posts
Nice silver Redline ...I used to have the ion2 in silver. I know this is a 6 months old sorry for answering if this is old news

Good luck with the replacement - try a local collision/auto body repair place - cost of repair may not be that much and they know how to make it new. You may get lucky if wait for one to pop up somewhere though,

The replace question:

I would start with some new performance tires and get the best feel for the ride.

The tires on these cars go bad very quick and it is easy to sense when driving.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts