Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i know this is a redline forum but i have a serious question. please no flaming here just trying to get an opinion. buying two cars. 1 will be a redline. the other either a srt-4 or a pt cruiser turbo. after talking to many people in the industry i can take all of the turbo upgrades for the srt and put them on the pt. i need at least one family car, and the pt will seem to fit this bill more than the srt. some say the neon has as much room inside as the pt though so im not sure. i have driven both the srt is faster stock but would be about the same modded. what do you guys think??
honestly here thanks much
a 500hp pt cruiser. i can imagine the look on thier face!!!!!

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
Personally, if sheer out of the box speed and an instantly available aftermarket is what you want, then I take my hat off to the SRT-4. Great little cars and I have to give them props.

However, when it comes to exterior styling, the RL has it beat hands down IMHO. Plus, our aftermarket seems to be picking up quickly so......

As far as PT Cruisers go, I can't stand the looks of those minature bread trucks. Once again, just my opionion. :D

But yes, a 500hp PT would be quite a sleeper. :eek:

·
Registered
361 Posts
When I first saw the PT Cruiser, I was all about buying one as my first car. That was like 4 years ago. Now after seeing what stupid teenagers have done to the PT, I can no longer look at that car the same way. I would go with the SRT-4 because I don't believe the PT Cruiser Turbo to be as good as the SRT. And the PT kinda looks like a cross between a hurse and a shoe. Don't ask how, it just does.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
zfactor said:
i know this is a redline forum but i have a serious question. please no flaming here just trying to get an opinion. buying two cars. 1 will be a redline. the other either a srt-4 or a pt cruiser turbo. after talking to many people in the industry i can take all of the turbo upgrades for the srt and put them on the pt. i need at least one family car, and the pt will seem to fit this bill more than the srt. some say the neon has as much room inside as the pt though so im not sure. i have driven both the srt is faster stock but would be about the same modded. what do you guys think??
honestly here thanks much
a 500hp pt cruiser. i can imagine the look on thier face!!!!!
If the choices are between a PT Cruiser and an SRT for a family car, I can't see talking anything other than the PT. The SRT is not a family car, not matter how you look at it. You can use it as one, but it's not gonna be a family car.

·
Registered
610 Posts
I'm no expert on Mopars, but I don't think the PT turbo has all the good stuff that SRT4 has like forged engine internals, intercooler, LSD, etc. A stock PT turbo would probably be fine a family wagon. I just don't know if it would be a cost effective sleeper. I'd seek advice from PT/Neon experts.

·
Premium Member
3,231 Posts
PT bad I drove a turbo one and beat it up good. The car/truck/box thing in my opinion is ugly and over sized for the chasis. Its a neon subframe and suspension differnt body.

SRT-4 aftermarket is all over the place no problem getting parts.

Redline I bought one and my choices were similar SRT-4, TC scion, PT turbo, Audi TT, WRX, and the odd ball of a Expedition. The SRT- was on top till i drove a redline and felt the interior was nicer the seats were built more on a daily driver and the trunk is insane. And the Ion never dents.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
appreciate all your feedback. i was talking to the guys at agp and they had said the pt and srt motors were the same?? anyway this is a tough one. i would rather have the srt but the wife would rather the comfort of the pt?? the redline has to be the most comfortable of these yes i give it that. she will be mostly driving the redline. i want speed. im used to driving my 800hp 300zxtt around so this will be like :eek: !! i know these are all good cars and i would still be driving my 300 all the time but the gas is ridiculous and its only a 2 seater. i am keeping it for the weekends and for track use. soo we hope to see 840+ whp 798.8 right now. for all of you questioning this is with EXTENSIVE MODS almost 55k$ or more invested in time and parts. thanks to sgp racing and z connection for this kind of power. back to the topici want at least 400+whp hoping for 450+ i know this can be done with the srt but not sure yet of the redlines capabilities after talking to some techs. including saturn motorsports and a few i know at gm racing division they are suggesting 350 to max out these motors without opening them up. if it came down to it i think i would rather drive a 350whp supercharger than a 400whp turbo though i feel the sc would be much smoother overall and little to no lag. but i just think the pt is ugly as hell, no offense to those that love it please.
i was initailly considering : scion tc- after talking to kenny tran of jotech i realized this was not my choice immediatly. stock motor not capable of anything higher than 275 according to jotechs testing. so this would require $$$$$$ according to kenny.
wrx- dont really want to fork over the loot for the sti right now and even if i did they are very capable cars but with the awd hook up great but loose so much through the drivetrain.
evo 8- just seems to expensive to me for what it is. dont get me wrong i love the car. if i didnt have my z i would by one in a heart beat. but again comes to budget with this one
srt-makes huge power!!! very cheap, but seems to lack much in the handling dept. i fealt the rl was much better after driving them in this dept. cheap to mod easy to get 450whp only about 4400$ or so to get there. just AND IN NO OFFENSE PLEASE DONT TAKE THIS WRONG to me its a neon. i have never liked the neon since day one. i know this is "different" but it looks like a neon. and the interior is so plastic. but theres the BIG power thats easy
a second rl- well we now have one. and as much as i love it i just dont believe it will ever make the power i want in this car. it could just how much$$$$$$ most of everything would be custom one off parts trust me that gets expensive!!!!!!! kenny tran said to duplicate his 533whp scion tc id be around 25k$ plus the car!!!!! id be happy hitting really over 400+ but not sure yet what will come of this and how long it will take to get there?? i dont see any real options for a big turbo on these anywhere. ive been looking for a turbo manifold for the redline to replace the sc with and just dont see them, so again custom fab. $$$$ then the intercooler rc injectors piping etc..... and i would need to find a good intake manifold for this ???? where short of the saab piece but not to make this kind of power and then worry about engine managment etc..... asny thought on this from the likes of ray or psi fi would be great. i know there will be the twincharger but seems to be around 350hp or so with this. i spoke to ripp today about a different kind of sc for the redline and they are considering it as a full stage 2 or 3 upgrade!!!but with ripp it will be $$$$ but done right.

what do all of you think
1) still remains pt or srt
2) second redline - but will it make the power???? and how much

sorry to ramble on just wanted to express what im dealing with in my desicion. any input would be great thanks

·
Registered
764 Posts
I would definitely take the srt4 over the PT. IMO, the styling of the SRT is way better looking. I was in an SRT for the first time yesterday, and they are pretty roomy. I was surprised at how much room the backseat has.

·
Registered
10,787 Posts
brk_05 said:
I was surprised at how much room the backseat has.
I agree on that point. I have never been in the back of a PT, let alone seen one in person...lol. But their backseat compared to ours...well there is no comparison. I mean we do have some leg room (if the two front passengers are shorter or average height) but it ain't nothing to brag about (though the cool side doors are :p). But if your looking for a family car, the SRT-4 has the room (aside from the trunk..go GM and their obsession with huge trunks in small cars...way to screw the cobalts, you give it a huge trunk, yet you can't fit a set of golf clubs through the trunk opening easily..you have to fight with them...lol) and the power and the ability to crank out more for realitivly nothing in parts. Now again, I know nothing of the PT and its size and what not.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well we will see tomm i may be owing a ion quad coupe instead. yes you read that right not a redline. :D
i have been approached by some of the big boys with a car that was built for a very large company for sponsorship use i cant say who for or built by whom at this point i promised i would not due to the amount of calls they would get im sure. but it is a fully built 2.2 with sleeves and all. a full very large turbo kit. right now makes 325+ but they said it need stand alone ecu to make huge power but 500whp is no problem. just now depends on price. they have had this thing " sitting around " for a while and are ready to start some new stuff. so we shall see but it would be awsome. let you all know soon enough. i may still end up with the srt again depends on what they want for this beast but we shall see.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Well as a Saturn enthusiast, I would naturally tell you to go with the second Redline. Now, the SRT already can get 300 HP w/ the stage 3 Mopar kit, but you said you're looking for 450whp. Personally, I think the ECOTEC is more up to the challenge of the 450whp you desire. Granted, the 2.4 turbo in the SRT is a nice motor too, or else it wouldn't be able to achieve that 300 hp rating, I just think that at 450whp, the power curve will be very peak-ey and you won't have that on demand power of the supercharger, you would need to run in the upper rpm band. The 2.0L ECOTEC may require changing out a few internals, but I'm sure it will be more than willing to meet your demands as well as deliver smooth aggressive power from idle to redline. Hmmmm, maybe that's why they named it the Redline.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
After going to the track and seeing a SRT4 a while back with the Stage 1, tons of bolt on's, and a 3" back exhaust (no cat), my thoughts on those cars have changed. The guy was whooping STi's and WS6s. I'm truly impressed with them since with minimal money you can get them haul ass. I was actually thinking of an ACR SRT4, but I've heard the insurance is real high on a SRT4 plus I can't get a discount on Dodge products. I'll stick with the Red Line.

Anyways, I say go for the SRT4. The PT Cruiser is dinky looking, and I think it's a detuned version of the SRT4 engine in the PT turbo.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I owned a 2003 PT Cruiser GT for 57,000 miles - other than some initial engine management issues, it was a trouble-free car. It worked well with my family (two big teenagers) and we did a couple of roadtrips from PA back home to Texas. It NEVER got better than 21 mpg and usually averaged 17-18. Thee Redline blows that away, even with aggressive driving.

If you have little kids, and want to have FUN driving, the Redline or SRT-4 is a better bet - the Redline's rear doors open wide for kid access or baby seats, as would the SRT's 4 doors.

Resale value on the PT was HORRIBLE....I finally sold it for $4k back of book...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.