Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, this is a wierd one so I'm sorry if it's not very clear.

I have been hearing this strange clunk or bang from time to time. Could really get a fix on location or pattern so I thought maybe I was just hearing a noise from outside the car or maybe I hit something on the road. Most of the time the engine is revving hard and the stereo is on so you can understand.

The last few days it has been way more obvious. Example today I stop at a light, in the middle of traffic. I gear down and break as usual. I keep the clutch in and trans in 1st. Break is on. Just sitting there when *CLUNK*! It must be pretty loud even outside the car cuz the woman stopped next to me quickly looks over at my car!

Any ideas would be great. It's going in to the dealer in the AM so it may be too late to give them suggestions but I thought I would throw it out there to see what the brainiacs in this forum could come up with.

Thanks again to you all!

Campbell

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
if u have intake that is your problem :p when i hit gas real quick the tubing hits something under engine bay not hurting anything thoe ;)

·
Registered
674 Posts
cvenom2122 said:
if u have intake that is your problem :p when i hit gas real quick the tubing hits something under engine bay not hurting anything thoe ;)
Huh :confused:

Campbell, the clunk may be your exhaust. The exhaust on our cars has an odd heating and cooling cycle and tends to tick and bang quite a bit. I've had mine pop so loud I thought I ran something over.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
I get the random, '3 knocks' every once in a while, my girl keeps asking my if I have someone in the trunk...

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
no...no....
it's gotta be the trunk monkey

if you haven't been looking after your trunk monkey and feeding him once in a while, then he gets all hypoglycemic and starts to faint at the lights

you're hearing your trunk monkey pass out and fall over, probably has lots of goose eggs on his head by now!

:D

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
Ah, so that's my problem! Here I thought it was the car, no wonder I can never find it...

·
Registered
3 Posts
I was hearing the same sound (mostly after hard driving on the Parkway) I'd take the off ramp and come to a stop. about 15 seconds later (bang) there goes the exhaust. I had Saturn of Monroeville check it out and they tell me that's normal (Back pressure)and there's really no fix... I'm planning on putting on an aftermarket exhaust and I'm hoping that may take care of it, who knows.

·
Registered
683 Posts
My wices QC had it. They found an exhaust leak when they did a backpressure check. It was actually a back fire from the middle of the exhaust. The sound is a backfire going through a resonator and a muffler, quiting it down quite a bit. I am starting to notice it on my RL as well, excactally the same, while ideling parked it does it. Also sometime like 45 seconds or so after you turn off the car. Have them do a backpressure check to see if any fresh unburnt (volitile) air is entering your exhaust. Good luck.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just got a call from the dealer, they want to drive it for the night to see if they can replicate. Guess I get the shitty base Ion for the night...ohhh yaaa, it's so damn hard to hide my excitement.

I will call them back and have them test the backpressure. I still don't really understand how you would get that. Is it unburnt fuel in the exhaust igniting?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
atwilson said:
no...no....
it's gotta be the trunk monkey

if you haven't been looking after your trunk monkey and feeding him once in a while, then he gets all hypoglycemic and starts to faint at the lights

you're hearing your trunk monkey pass out and fall over, probably has lots of goose eggs on his head by now!

:D
Well, that's my mistake. I assumed that you always have the same trunk monkey. I figured that mine was either dead from when my last car was totalled or it was killed by all the shit flying around in my last trunk!

·
Registered
683 Posts
Well that is the whole purpose of the Catalytic Converter, to burn off all the unburnt fuel. I have heard a couple of people having problems with their cat fouling. Odd to say the least, but with the air/fuel mixtures we had on the origional map, it is no wonder. Maybe they will finger somthing out. Do you have the most current ECU update?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
unknownsuperhero said:
Well that is the whole purpose of the Catalytic Converter, to burn off all the unburnt fuel. I have heard a couple of people having problems with their cat fouling. Odd to say the least, but with the air/fuel mixtures we had on the origional map, it is no wonder. Maybe they will finger somthing out. Do you have the most current ECU update?
Got the ECU update for the "hard to warm start" issue. Didn't get a chance to call the dealer back so we'll see what they say in the AM.

Thanks to everyone for the feedback....both helpful and funny!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
well, I got the car back with no change. They were unable to duplicate....figures! Guess I will have to try to do a little more investigation myself.

BTW, had my first oil change done. $115ca with tax!!!!! Whoa Man! I asked if I could supply my own oil next time and they said sure. I need a breakdown of the prices of all the supplies, it just said $85.

If it's cheaper in the US it might be worth the drive!

·
Registered
367 Posts
8 liters of 5W synthetic gets a bit pricey. .. my dealer warned me way ahead of time that my oil changes will be somewhere near the 100 dollar mark ....
here is a question --- Can you do your own oil changes and document it by keeping the reciepts from buying the stuff? (for warranty etc.)

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Moosehead115 said:
8 liters of 5W synthetic gets a bit pricey. .. my dealer warned me way ahead of time that my oil changes will be somewhere near the 100 dollar mark ....
here is a question --- Can you do your own oil changes and document it by keeping the reciepts from buying the stuff? (for warranty etc.)
I can't speak for Saturn but I know my last car they said they were OK with that. You just had to have proof of purchase and document each change carefully.

·
Registered
683 Posts
I buy the oil and take it to them. They charge me $14 for it, not bad really. Saves me some time, and still goes toward that buy x get 1 free oil change punch card.

·
Registered
8,327 Posts
yeah its the exhaust. no matter how had you run it is the pipes expanding and then when you basicly stop for a second or turn the car off you will hear at least one loud BANG and its just the exhaust cooling off. when i run it hard it usually has quite a few loud bangs like a goddamn backfire then its more of just a tick tick tick tick and its all good. its does bug the shit outta me tho sounds like somthing is breaking.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts