Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Does anyone else have a rasping / chattering / dragging noise when the throttle is not engaged and while the vehicle is moving? :confused:

It's not from the exhaust popping (I get that too) as it seems to originate from underhood. It's usually more prevalent and audible at lower speeds, not necessarily when I'm engine braking. The condition has existed since I received the Ion (with 13km) and the noise isn't really all that distracting and sounds a little like a refridgerator or drinking fountain running. It may be a noise that's associated with having stick as opposed to automatic, since it's the first time that I've owned a vehicle with a manual transmission.

Whatever the case may be, it sure doesn't detract from the Red Line driving experience! :D

Any help to satiate my curioisty would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
I'm hearing the same noise you are hearing. I've heard it since the beginning of the car, but it seems to have gotten more noticeable now (at 1200 miles). There is a noise when I'm hitting the gas that can be slightly translated into the wind whooshing into the intake from the supercharger.
The noise you are talking about, I hear it when I let off the gas and am not depressing the clutch. This sound is pretty similar to the supercharger air sound, but it is a little distinct and noticeably louder. As soon as I press the clutch in, it will go away, so I'm assuming it's coming from the transmission. If it gets any louder like it has been lately, I'll be taking her in to have it checked out. I think there might have been another thread about this noise a few weeks back...not sure though. If I come acrossed it, I'll link it in here. I forget what that thread said about it, which is why I'm going to investigate a little more.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Its gear mesh noise from the trans, there is no fix for it right now, but as soon as i hear of one i will post it.

·
Registered
10,787 Posts
Yea, I have that noise too. Under light accelleration or coasting (while in gear) I hear it. My Cavi did the same thing, so I wasn't to to worried, but its nice to know that someone knows what is making that noise (John). Thats one problem off my list, now I just have to go back to Saturn and get my remote starter fixed :( .

·
Registered
141 Posts
Icon said:
Does anyone else have a rasping / chattering / dragging noise when the throttle is not engaged and while the vehicle is moving? :confused:

It's not from the exhaust popping (I get that too) as it seems to originate from underhood. It's usually more prevalent and audible at lower speeds, not necessarily when I'm engine braking. The condition has existed since I received the Ion (with 13km) and the noise isn't really all that distracting and sounds a little like a refridgerator or drinking fountain running. It may be a noise that's associated with having stick as opposed to automatic, since it's the first time that I've owned a vehicle with a manual transmission.

Whatever the case may be, it sure doesn't detract from the Red Line driving experience! :D

Any help to satiate my curioisty would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.
Thanks for posting this question Icon. I've been meaning to post this same question.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
XeroState said:
Thats one problem off my list, now I just have to go back to Saturn and get my remote starter fixed :( .
You got your RL with a remote starter? I don't recall that being an option...

·
Registered
10,787 Posts
jpapa said:
You got your RL with a remote starter? I don't recall that being an option...
haha, no. I got one installed at Saturn. It's a 2-way alarm/starter. But when I arm my car for the remote starter part, it leaves the radio on (it does turn off on that 10min thing but still) and I just want to see if they can change that or not as the door needs to be opened to turn it off sooner...which won't happen as the doors are shut and the car is armed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts