Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok guys its not as bad as it sounds but i was driving back to base from buffalo and on route 19 in WV there was a tire in the road, well one of those things from a semi, when i swerved to miss it i totally lost control, well not totally i did manage to keep it on the road for a little. But what i am getting to is i hit like a white pole, it was plastic so did not to much to the car but i did lose my mirror, now i didnt lose the actuall housing just the mirror part on the pass side and when i did slide off the road it kinda broke the black part under my front bumper that seems to be fixable, but what i want to know from the guys who work at saturn is how much this is gonna cost me, and if i just tell them that i hit a bump and the mirror fell off will the warranty cover it or are they gonna charge me anyways, all i want is a new mirror. and the housing just the mirror. How Much? and will the warranty cover it? By the way i am ok, the car is a little dirty from the trip in the ditch but only cosmetic problems so far, and some tread is gone from doing a 360 at 80Mph. Now i just want to fix my baby :(

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
i wish you luck in convincing them that a "bump" caused the mirror to fall off, i really do, but i wouldn't buy it. good luck!

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yea i know but i figure its worth a try, and the worst thing that they can do is charge me for it. its not like they car charge me more because i tried to lie.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
this is what it looks like

as u can see its not really that bad. but still not good

Attachments

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
Not enough to call the insurance company? Dosen't look too bad, other than the mirror. Were your rims dinged up too? Couldn't quite tell. If you need your rim(s) replaced, you ought call, I'm sure they're pretty pricey...

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
no the rims look fine so far but they are very dirty so could not tell if they are scratched up, i am not planning on going to the ins company, i will just do the repairs and go on with my business.

JOHN, or anyone else that works at saturn can u guys look up a price on the mirror for me? Thanks in Advnace

·
Registered
351 Posts
That sucks man. Hope you can fix it soon. goodluck on the cheap price.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks man, i think i might check e-bay, i know its a long shot but worth a try, does anyone know if its the same mirror as the reg QC

·
Registered
289 Posts
navymitch12 said:
ok guys its not as bad as it sounds but i was driving back to base from buffalo and on route 19 in WV there was a tire in the road, well one of those things from a semi, when i swerved to miss it i totally lost control, well not totally i did manage to keep it on the road for a little. But what i am getting to is i hit like a white pole, it was plastic so did not to much to the car but i did lose my mirror, now i didnt lose the actuall housing just the mirror part on the pass side and when i did slide off the road it kinda broke the black part under my front bumper that seems to be fixable, but what i want to know from the guys who work at saturn is how much this is gonna cost me, and if i just tell them that i hit a bump and the mirror fell off will the warranty cover it or are they gonna charge me anyways, all i want is a new mirror. and the housing just the mirror. How Much? and will the warranty cover it? By the way i am ok, the car is a little dirty from the trip in the ditch but only cosmetic problems so far, and some tread is gone from doing a 360 at 80Mph. Now i just want to fix my baby :(
Good Luck, brother! Good thing you didn't have a yugo! You might not have seen the light of the next day. ;) How did the RL handle during your emergency manuever?

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
it really handeled GREAT, like i could not have been more confident with the way that went, i realize much more could have went wrong but the car really held its own.

·
Registered
10,134 Posts
Good thing you were'nt hurt, knowing Saturn you can't get just the mirror, you have to replace the housing too. That's 250-275, it's more if it was painted. And that little piece down below is an estimated $75. Good luck with the bump story.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i found them on ebay for 50$ but i would like to just buy the mirror, we will see how it goes

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Makes you want to hunt down all the 18-wheelers to find the one that lost its tire and beat the driver over the head sensless doesn't it? Anyone know how you can get someone to show liability for lost cargo like that causing damage to your vehicle? I know I've seen some lawyer types in here (granted the topic of conversation had little to be desired) maybe you can answer. I remember driving late at night and about 1/5th of a mile ahead of me seeing sparks fly like crazy because some truck lost a wooden pallet on the road. I'm sure someone eventually "ran into" it. I thought I'd seen everything that could be seen dumped on the Highway at that point. Early one morning on my way home from work, on I-635 I actually saw a KITCHEN SINK, not a cheap little fiberglass one mind you, but an industrial sized stainless steel sink sitting in the middle of the Highway, and I thought I'd seen everything............:eek:

Good luck getting it all fixed.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Near Miss

I was following an 18 wheeler in a construction zone, the truck passed a knocked over orange and white barrel, the vaccum from behind the truck accually dragged the barrel into my lane, luckly there was no traffic around and the 4 wheel disc brakes came in handy.

IONTOP

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
I watched a sheet of ice, no lie, it was like 3' x 6', slide off of a semi and smash into a car 2 lanes over from me. It was a thin sheet, but the car almost lost control and hit the wall.

·
Registered
10,787 Posts
On a semi-industral road, I've seen a semi take the corner to hard and actually lose his cargo, THE ENTIRE CARGO BOX slide off the bed and into the other lane (turning right and the box slide off to his left) and smash into a large 4X4 truck and roll it into the ditch. Luckly no one was hurt but I was in shock when I saw hit it happen. Needless to say, that driver was charged with reckless driving and improperly secure cargo (not sure of the legal term). Also, I saw a pack of foxes on the road..well side of the road. Kinda of sad, not only did 1 get hit, but like 4 did. You would think 1 would be smart enough to run, oh well, that's nature and her mysterious way.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Repair Efforts

Well this is what i got so far, its just temp but it looks better than having that dam mirror not there. tell me what u think guys. o and it was 6$ to fix and some fabricating of my own

the wheels are a little scratched up but only on the pass side and the front needs some more work but i think i should be able to get it back to about 80% with little money involved

Attachments

·
Registered
127 Posts
navymitch12 said:
ok guys its not as bad as it sounds but i was driving back to base from buffalo and on route 19 in WV there was a tire in the road, well one of those things from a semi, ...(
First off, nice repair job for the money.

I also had a bad experience in WV, on I-79, several years ago, so not in the RL obviously. Through a particular curvy portion, (it should be noted that for the most part, interstate highway in WV only have two lanes) a semi in front of me, while taking a turn, started dropping cinder blocks all over the road, I had to go off the road OR run over one of them broken pieces. A clanking notice from below later, I damn near had a heart attack and promptly pulled out the cell phone and call the State Police on them. YES! It was the semi driver's unlucky day that a few miles down the road a huge sign actually showed State Police can be reached on *79 or something from mobile phones. Nothing but a scratch under my car fortunately, but still could have been a nightmarish scenario.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts