Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 RL and after driving it around for a while and getting it up to normal operating temp and I sit for 2 mins at idle at a light or the drive thru, the car shuts off. This has happened for about 5 months and I've tried figuring it out for a while now but can't seem to nail it. When I continue driving it and going down the road it seems fine. But when that needle reaches the middle it stutters and shuts off until I drive off. Is the car trying to protect it:huh:self or what?

·
Registered
9,397 Posts
When you say it shuts off, do you mean like, it stalls and everything on the dash stays lit, or you mean like everything dies as if you turned the car off?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a cai but its been doing this before I had it on. But yes it shuts off and everything will stay lit. Kind of like the car stall but its not in gear.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes , but this problem only occurs when the temp needle reaches the middle of the gauge maybe even a hair above it. If I run the heat in the car it helps a bit but not much. I'm at a lose

·
Registered
4,362 Posts
At half way there is no danger to anything unless the gauge isn't reading correctly. When was the last time you performed some maint. on this thing?
TB cleaning, maf cleaning, a st of new plugs goes a long way man.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I do maintenance on it regularly, I just changed the fuel filter, new oil change I cleaned the throttle and the mad sensor 2 months ago. I replaced the spark plugs last year but idk if that might be it because I don't remember if I purchased the hot or the cold ones. Would that make a difference in the performance and what might cause the engine to act that way when its in normal operations?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Also I haven't done a coolant flush on this car yet so idk if that would help or not because I heard dexcool Gunk's up the engine

·
Registered
9,397 Posts
coolant won't cause this issue, unless you have a bad ECT, maybe. you need a scan gauge with live data and some know-how now to track the problem down.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yea, that's the direction I'm heading. I'm going to buy a system scanner and post my results back here soon and give you guys the 411 on the car thanks for the help so far

1 - 11 of 11 Posts