Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just took my car to a commercial retail shop for a concern and while there, learned that they don't do the oil changes. However, they have an outsourced oil change business next door. The oil change business is in the same building.

So I thought that it is convenient and they probably are good at oil changes.

So I bring the redline over to the next door and say I have a performance car and the supercharger is on top of the filter. Can you handle it?

Reply: yes we are do many cars and even doing a new porsche right now. I looked over and yes a SUV type porsche was on the lift. Ok that makes me feel better.

I go on that the ion redline takes 6-7 quarts of oil and do you have the oem filter or mobile 1 filter?

Reply - yes we can do that no problem

So I meet the oil tech in front of the garage and he comes almost running at me and I look over at his hands and he is wearing oil on his gloves - (wonderful - please get into my car and smear motor oil all over the place)

I say can you change your gloves - why he says - look at your gloves

ok so he comes back with new gloves and proceeds.

Next I am waiting in the office and I look over through the window and about 3 people are looking at the engine bay. They are like scratching their heads.

Make a long story short, they don't know how to do it.

I know that there is a method to the oil change and it is easy to do if you know the method on the redline.

They need to know the ion redline or cobalt SS supercharged -

this is my advice to new owners

I am going back to Chevy

Super Moderator
You can pull the filter without taking the blower off if you have a shallow socket and enough wobbles/extensions.
Chances are a lube tech does not.

At least at Chevy they are familiar with the lsj.

I did an oil change on a 2020 Porsche macan last year. Talk about dumb

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is one thing I miss about the old saturn ion 2 that I had - take it to the quick lube joint and done in 10 minutes - everyone is happy

Super Moderator
You could go back to that turbo swapping your lsj. Gets the blower out of the way. haha

Registered
2007 IRL, magnaflow catback, coilovers, carbon wing, al splitter, zzp 2.5" header&dp, soon to be S3
Loosening the oil filter cap is easy enough - get a socket that fits the cap, a u joint extension on that, and then a regular extension on that. (After completely unscrewing the cap) To take out the filter you first have to detach the cap from the filter, maneuver the cap out, and then the filter. Install in reverse order, and done. But make sure after you get the cap back in after the new filter you are absolutely positive the filter is attached to the cap. I've done it twice now, but you may be outta luck if you dont have skinny hands like me lol.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
These are very good points:

The turbo is nice idea, but I think that may go to my head - I can just image rolling up next all the professional race car drivers on the road today - I mean, go out for a ride (most days of the week) and it's like INDY 500 from the 70's.

In regard to the filter:

That's awesome that you can do it yourself - what ever the method, it takes special care to fix any thing on this car.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts