Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

21 - 40 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
snobrdrdan said:
But who drives only 5K in one year though??? lol

me, it's not a daily driver, and i changed the oil twice in that year, every 6 months, so it's always clean lol.

i also use the ac delco filter, it's like 5.88 from my dealer or something like that, it's cheaper than the fram's and shit at pep boys. And castrol syntec oil.

·
Registered
8,327 Posts
i go until the light kicks on and thats about 7 k or so for me .... ive been poor lately and i just finally got to change my oil at 16,000 miles later :eek: .... i know tisk tisk but i just got 12 quarts of oil and two filters for mine and the wifes car (04 rl and 03 vue) and it only cost me $70 instead of going to the dealer just for my car for $107 :eek:

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
2 years & 10k miles on my car. Not daily driven, no winters. I click my filter's into the cap then slide that down as I have see our Cavalier come from a dealer oil change with the filter not clicked into the cap and the filter was squished a bit. I won't let that happen to my RL ever:ack:

Mike

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
AWESOME write-up, thanks a ton for the effort. I was dreading my first oil change, as I knew what was involved but hadn't done it myself before. This made it a LOT easier.

Getting the filter out = a bit more of a PITA than the write-up led me to believe, lol. Even with the coolant neck moved down, it's just a BITCH to get my hands and the cap/filter around in there. It's not so much the blower as all the wire loom under there. Grr.

I used an STP filter 'cuz the dealerships were closed and it was that or Fram, I figured no difference. They were having a sale on Penzoil Platinum full synthetic, thought I'd give it a shot for the almost $2 a quart difference over Mobile 1, we'll see.

Asshats who dod the last change air gunned the fucking drain plug on, took an 18 inch bar and me doing pull-ups on it under the car to get it loose, lol. I swear every dealership and/or service place that's touched this car before I got it and sice has fucked something up. :rolleyes:

Assuming it was changed at the dealer that took it in (couldn't say for sure), this oil was almost exactly 4500 miles old when the change oil indicator dinged. Based on it's appearance, I wouldn't say for sure that they changed it, though, lol. I've seen 5k old conventional oil that looked better than this supposedly 4500k mile full synthetic.

·
Registered
651 Posts
If you are worried about the filter you can easily change it without changing the oil. The way our filters are positioned you can change the filter with little to no loss of oil.

The only way to tell if it's "dirty" for sure is to do oil analysis bottom line. There is no other way around it.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Ok guys, dont bash me for this but from my understanding our cars automatically detects when the oil needs to be changed by the # of piston revolutions. Again dont bash me this is what i was told by the guy at the saturn dealership. when i asked (because i take mine in every time the "change oil" comes on in the info center) why it comes on at a different mileage every time?

10,144 Posts
Ok guys, dont bash me for this but from my understanding our cars automatically detects when the oil needs to be changed by the # of piston revolutions. Again dont bash me this is what i was told by the guy at the saturn dealership. when i asked (because i take mine in every time the "change oil" comes on in the info center) why it comes on at a different mileage every time?
don't quote me on it but im pretty sure that it does various calculations not only (if even) including the piston revolutions. different conditions, different habits,all factors i suppose.

·
Registered
4,523 Posts
don't quote me on it but im pretty sure that it does various calculations not only (if even) including the piston revolutions. different conditions, different habits,all factors i suppose.

Yup....depends on how you drive the car & the conditions

·
Registered
46 Posts
First of all if you can't change your oil its really not that hard. Second an oil filter is an oil filter stop bitching about brands I promise they are all basicly the same. I have been working on cars for years and I have picked up some tricks, If you take your oil cap off before you pull your drain plug the oil drains faster and there will be less old oil in the crank when it looks like its done because its not making a vacuum anymore. You do not need to let the car run for a full minute before you pull your dipstick only long enough to build up some oil preasure 10 seconds should be plenty of time. I am putting this up because I am trying to help people If anyone here feels the need to flame me for any reason kiss my ASE certified butt.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
First of all if you can't change your oil its really not that hard. Second an oil filter is an oil filter stop bitching about brands I promise they are all basicly the same. I have been working on cars for years and I have picked up some tricks, If you take your oil cap off before you pull your drain plug the oil drains faster and there will be less old oil in the crank when it looks like its done because its not making a vacuum anymore. You do not need to let the car run for a full minute before you pull your dipstick only long enough to build up some oil preasure 10 seconds should be plenty of time. I am putting this up because I am trying to help people If anyone here feels the need to flame me for any reason kiss my ASE certified butt.
you sound like an ase certified dick!....stay the **** away from my car!...damn!

·
Registered
46 Posts
also people PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do not go to your dealer your local midas or whatever does the same work just fine dont let the dealer say it will void anything thats a lie and against the law. support your local mechanics if you cant do the work yourself and you will be happier in the long run

10,144 Posts
also people PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do not go to your dealer your local midas or whatever does the same work just fine dont let the dealer say it will void anything thats a lie and against the law. support your local mechanics if you cant do the work yourself and you will be happier in the long run
I actually do the same work in my garage. who woulda thought, gtfo troll.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I actually do the same work in my garage. who woulda thought, gtfo troll.
Look man all i am saying is if you can't you dont need to let the dealer rip you off you can get the same work done cheaper i am trying to help people the name calling is really uncalled for.

·
Registered
46 Posts
you sound like an ase certified dick!....stay the **** away from my car!...damn!
and you sir sound like a dumb ass i hate when you try to help someone and they are too damn stupid to understand that oh and calling someone a dick on the internet really brings up those cool points too!

·
Lurking Diplomat
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Hey Rich,
The people on this forum are generally very well-educated when it comes to their cars, and some of them are very well-educated when it comes to cars in general. The purpose of this site is to allow people who have been educated in different disciplines, by different teachers, to discuss, debate, and disseminate that knowledge to those of us who are still learning.

I appreciate your willingness to share with us your knowledge, and the fact that you can are an ASE-certified mechanic could prove valuable, as most of us are NOT certified mechanics. However, when you end your first post on this forum with "kiss my ASE-certified butt," most people aren't going to react too kindly. Seeing as how you've only been a member of this forum for a month, and the four posts you've made (total) have been extremely confrontational with regard to procedures used in an oil change, you shouldn't be surprised when people react negatively to you basically calling us all a bunch of idiots.

I would suggest that you spend some more time reading, posting, etc. and get involved in a few discussions in a non-confrontational manner. You'll probably get much farther and might even learn something yourself. All the best.

Oh, to clarify: my use of "a minute" in the original post, referring to allowing the car to run, was colloquial. We here in Chicago measure everything in minutes, not just time. A more precise measurement may be in order, but a minute is definitely not going to hurt, and I don't think that anyone who has read or made use of this tutorial was confused on that point. Truth be told, you're the first person to have brought it up.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Hey Rich,
The people on this forum are generally very well-educated when it comes to their cars, and some of them are very well-educated when it comes to cars in general. The purpose of this site is to allow people who have been educated in different disciplines, by different teachers, to discuss, debate, and disseminate that knowledge to those of us who are still learning.

I appreciate your willingness to share with us your knowledge, and the fact that you can are an ASE-certified mechanic could prove valuable, as most of us are NOT certified mechanics. However, when you end your first post on this forum with "kiss my ASE-certified butt," most people aren't going to react too kindly. Seeing as how you've only been a member of this forum for a month, and the four posts you've made (total) have been extremely confrontational with regard to procedures used in an oil change, you shouldn't be surprised when people react negatively to you basically calling us all a bunch of idiots.

I would suggest that you spend some more time reading, posting, etc. and get involved in a few discussions in a non-confrontational manner. You'll probably get much farther and might even learn something yourself. All the best.

Oh, to clarify: my use of "a minute" in the original post, referring to allowing the car to run, was colloquial. We here in Chicago measure everything in minutes, not just time. A more precise measurement may be in order, but a minute is definitely not going to hurt, and I don't think that anyone who has read or made use of this tutorial was confused on that point. Truth be told, you're the first person to have brought it up.
beautifully said!....and adam thanks much for your original 'how to ' post!..colm.

·
Lurking Diplomat
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #39

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hey Rich,

Hey man you got a good point didnt mean to come off like as much as a dick as i did, my bad. Trust me I am not trying to put anyone down i am honestly just trying to help people by spreading what i have learned through the years. i would also like to throw out an "i'm sorry" to anyone who was offended by what i said.

21 - 40 of 62 Posts