Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How difficult is it to change the oil on your own?...If it isnt that hard where is the bolt to drain the oil?...Do you use synthetic 5W-30?...How many quarts do you need?...What kind of oil do you prefer?...

·
Registered
630 Posts
If you have a redline you have to use moble 1 synthetic. Its super easy to do like 10 min, and everything else you can look up in your owners manual.

·
Registered
2,967 Posts
Look in the how to section for a complete description. The only hard part is getting the oil filter out. It is under the supercharger and really needs a special short socket to take the top off. I bought mine off Ebay. Others have talked about picking them up at local stores (I had no luck with that). It is really tight threading the filter and cap out from under the SC thru the wiring harness. I have done mine once. I hope the second time is easier. The drain is on the back side (at the bottom) of the oil pan. I needed 6.5 qts. Use only Mobil 1 for warrantey reasons.

·
Registered
13,594 Posts
a small child can help u reach the filter and pull it out. unless u have little girlie hands u will get cut up a bit

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
I have done every oil change myself it isn't that hard to do really. I have a 23mm I believe impact socket that I use. It helps if you unbolt that small overfill neck and move it forward and reach up through there.

I recommend Carquest Premium oil filter. They are made by WIX which is a really good brand. Don't use a fram filter. I used carquest full synthetic oil also because it's made by valvaline just with a different label. And I get a discount at Carquest so it only cost me about $30 for the whole thing.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
or it's 1" 1/4.......i think thats it. All I know is i bought it because it also fits my Civic's Axle Nut. or I had 1 1/4 and it was slightly loose and 23mm is the correct size.

·
Registered
13,594 Posts
korax123 said:
or it's 1" 1/4.......i think thats it. All I know is i bought it because it also fits my Civic's Axle Nut. or I had 1 1/4 and it was slightly loose and 23mm is the correct size.
u might be right....

·
Registered
11,403 Posts
Why the heck did they use 23mm when 24mm is at least a somewhat normal size?!?!?

Anywho, I just pull the supercharger, gives me a chance to check its wear, and is just as quick (with the right tools).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts