Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,617 Posts
$108 was on the receipt, Had Car Care Plan so it was free. My dealer needs to start buying Mobil One in bulk.

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
Aeain said:
$108 was on the receipt, Had Car Care Plan so it was free. My dealer needs to start buying Mobil One in bulk.
$108?

That's just ridiculous, man. It's not like we bought a Porsche or NSX or something.

I absolutely refuse to pay that much for an oil change that I can take 30 minutes out of my day and $35 and do myself.

·
Super Moderator
4,617 Posts
JPK said:
$108?

That's just ridiculous, man. It's not like we bought a Porsche or NSX or something.

I absolutely refuse to pay that much for an oil change that I can take 30 minutes out of my day and $35 and do myself.

Like I said, I didn't pay it. Car Care Plan is awesome.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I'll check tomorrow and see how much we would charge. I know we've done a few already. It's not all that hard at all!

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
Catshreds said:
JPK: how hard was it to do? where did you get filter at?

Not hard at all. You just remove the two nuts that hold that coolant filler on top and you can move the hoses and all aside to get the filter housing cap out. It took a little geometrical thinking to get the housing cap out but it was really no big deal.

I got a Fram from Autozone. The ecotec 2.0 S/C is even in their index of filter part numbers. It cost about 8 bucks for the filter.

·
Registered
43 Posts
It's about $60 where I'm at. That's for a Sytec change because the company has a deal with Castrol, and won't use anything else, unless it's warranty work.

And $8 for a filter? Man am I glad I work at the dealer. I got one for my truck for $1.16!

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
Kory Miller said:
It's about $60 where I'm at. That's for a Sytec change because the company has a deal with Castrol, and won't use anything else, unless it's warranty work.

And $8 for a filter? Man am I glad I work at the dealer. I got one for my truck for $1.16!

The dealer charges about $15 for the filter I believe. They also charge you like $12 a qt for the Mobil 1 Synthetic. You can go to Wal-Mart and get Mobil 1 for about $4.75 a qt.

·
Registered
87 Posts
My first oil change was like 71.00. I thought they were joking when they told me that, so I laughed. Then looked at the receipt. They charged like 20 for labor and 45 for parts. I was upset! I felt so dumb paying 70 for an oil change.

JPK how many courts of oil did you use? They told me it requires 7 for a change?

·
Registered
105 Posts
According to California service depts. The SC has to be removed to change the oil! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I did mine in about 20 mins without unbolting anything. Cost about $35 using Mobil1.

It is much easier to do if you stand on the driver's side of the car. Your hands seem to go right into place. Just stand next to the left front tire.

·
Registered
98 Posts
oilchange

JPK said:
Oh, I know. I'm just saying that $108 for an oil change on this car is proposterous (sp?).
yes $35.00 if done by yourself. Plus Tax of course
Filter from dealer was $6.00
you need Rhino Ramps, (Walmart)
1 1/4 inch socket to remove the filter cover, extensions, rachet 6 3/4 quarts of Synthetic (Mobil 1 Walmart $4.00 QT)
oil drain pan
rags
the filter cover has its own o-ring around the top
and the drain plug has its own built in seal. 15 or 16 MM socket (cant remember)
lots of fun

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just paid $62 for my oil change, which i thought was crazy because i used to change th oil on my last car for $15. I know it uses synthetic which is more expensive but I was told not to do it myself becuase the car is chain driven so they lube the chain when doing an oil change. Is that true?

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
rugbyguy01 said:
I just paid $62 for my oil change, which i thought was crazy because i used to change th oil on my last car for $15. I know it uses synthetic which is more expensive but I was told not to do it myself becuase the car is chain driven so they lube the chain when doing an oil change. Is that true?

Never heard that one before.

·
Registered
244 Posts
rugbyguy01 said:
I know it uses synthetic which is more expensive but I was told not to do it myself becuase the car is chain driven so they lube the chain when doing an oil change. Is that true?

OMG! No that's not true! I friggin hate service depts that pull that shit! It makes us good service depts look bad! Reading this thread has got me soooo fired up! Grrrrrrrrr!

Oh and I forgot to check on what we charge for a LOF on a RL. I'll be back.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts