Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 · (Edited)
OK. So, I got the new leak-down test kit in. I ran the car to operating temp (which I hadn't done the first time around) and ran through in firing order - 1-3-4-2. I ran the test up to 100psi and I have ~0-1% loss for all cylinders. I ran through the test twice just to make sure I got the same results and it was consistent. So I would imagine that means the cylinders/rings are in good shape. Back to the drawing board...

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Update: Did an oil change over the weekend. Noticed when I got to work on Friday I could hear lifter tapping. Ran to the gas station and grabbed a quart of oil - it was barely showing on the stick. I decided to do an oil flush and threw some Seafoam in it for a good ride, then used some Motor Mechanic Oil Flush and let it idle with that stuff for a bit before dumping the oil. Filled it back up with a little heavier weight oil this time - 10W30 Mobile 1 High Mileage. We'll see how things go this time around. Still a mystery where the oil is going.

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Update again... Put about 900 miles since the last oil change and went to start the car before work on a cold morning and could hear tapping in the valve train. Checked and the oil was barely on the stick again. Dumped about 3 quarts to get it to where it should be. I've got a week vacation coming up here soon and I think I'm just gonna tear down the motor for rebuild. It's got just over 190k now and it probably couldn't hurt. Wondering what y'all recommend for a rebuild kit. I did some googling and there seems to be quite a few choices out there.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts