9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wantedto bring this to everyones attention

CBM MOTORSPORTS ECOTEC STYLE BILLET REMOTE OIL COOLER ADAPTER

What kind of oil filter would you run?
Where would you mount the oil cooler?
How big of an oil filter would you run?
And where would you put the filter?

I was thinking of mounting the cooler right behind the bumper on the aluminum bar. Any insight would be awesome. That link is just the adapter i would still need the braided hose, an fittings, oil filter adapter, and the cooler.

·
Registered
493 Posts
You know your car already has an oil cooler right?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I didnt know that, but it wouldn't hurt to have an auxillary. Even so, the questions still remain about where to mount the oil filter amd which oil filter to run.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
I wouldn't add an external. our oem cooler uses engine coolant to increase the speed at which the oil reaches operating temp but doesn't let it get higher and therefore extends engine life buy doing those two things.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I wouldn't add an external. our oem cooler uses engine coolant to increase the speed at which the oil reaches operating temp but doesn't let it get higher and therefore extends engine life buy doing those two things.
+1

Ok good point but we have to agree that the oil filter is in a terrible spot. And a bigger filter wont hurt.
I have no issues with it. Oil change takes me 10-15 minutes and that includes jacking it up and drain time. Why would you a need a bigger filter? The current size has been doing fine in ecotes for 10+ years.

This mod seems like it would be a good for another type of vehicle running an offroad only race engine requiring much higher demands than our vehicles.

·
F_ck Bates
5,376 Posts
ur oil filter would still be in the same spot. that just replaces the black cap u remove to get to the stock filter. no need to move it. honestly that adapter is for earlier ecos that didnt have the provisions for an oil cooler. that cap gives u -an fittings to attach hoses so u can run a remote oil cooler. if u did do it i believe u would mount the h/e to the front condensor with fan ties.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Actually it would not fit with the stock filter in place still if you look at it, you would need an external oil filter setup to mount to it. I had one of these on my yamaha vstar because the filter was an internal style and it was behind the exhaust making oil changes a pita. Seems like a huge waste for something that isnt needed. Id rather spend it on something worth while.

cost of:
this cap
braided hoses
custom oil filter cradle and filter
more hoses
oil cooler
fans
= just not worth it.

·
Registered
9,397 Posts
Changing the filter is easy if you lose the supercharger.

or...if someone shows you where to stand and how to snake your hand/arm in.

·
Registered
958 Posts
the stock cooler is good for a stock engine or a lightly modded engine other then that it is junk. it over taxes the cooling system one of the mest things ive done is to get the oil cooler of the engine coolant and put it out front

you can make a the cooler adapter out of your stock cooler adapter its an easy and fairly cheap to do

that cap replacement will work for an engine with no factory cooler but will not work on a lsj

·
Registered
493 Posts

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
I just don't see how the stock oil cooler could over tax the engine cooling system unless one was doing an endurance race or something. 7qts of oil, something like 2 gallons and change for coolant... that's a lot of oil for a 4 cyl. I think that even a pretty gnarly build would have no issues over taxing the system whatsoever.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My thought process was cooler oil doesn't break down as fast, thus lasting longer. I could be wrong but that was always my understanding. I realize that trying to cool down oil that is heated/cooled by coolant is pointless. It does seem like a strange way to cool the oil but im by no right an engineer lol. I was going for convenience mainly that oil filter is in a bad spot. Ive got huge hands so i cant stand/hover/dance/meditate or anything of the sort to get my hand to fit. But i have learned something new about my car so im grateful to have asked the collective knowledge.

·
Registered
958 Posts
it dose not extend engine life the main purpose for the factory cooler is emissions the faster you get the oil to temp the les fuel is used

I just don't see how the stock oil cooler could over tax the engine cooling system unless one was doing an endurance race or something. 7qts of oil, something like 2 gallons and change for coolant... that's a lot of oil for a 4 cyl. I think that even a pretty gnarly build would have no issues over taxing the system whatsoever.
look at it this way your trying to keep 6.5 quarts of oil at a specified temp and keep the engine cool at the same time the few that have ditched the stock cooler have dropped engine temperature

·
Registered
958 Posts
there use to be a company that made a plate to replace the stocker but I can or will show others how to mod the stock oil cooler so you can run it as a external setup

1 - 20 of 32 Posts