Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, i bought my RL a few months ago, its a 2004. When I bought it, it had 4700 miles on it and an oil change was done from the factory when i bought it. Now, 4000 miles later my oil change light has not come on, nor have i had to add any oil to it. Shouldn't I have had to at least put in a quart or 2 during the past 4000 miles??

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
Why should you have to add oil?? Ideally, you will never have to add oil, and should only change it when the light comes on. Mine came on for the first time at 6800 miles. I changed it at 3500 myself, and didn't hit the reset for it.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
you'd think it was a good thing that you haven't had to add oil...

has anyone actually tested their oil after waiting for the oil change light to come on?

also, where/how would i go about doing that? i'm up for a change in like 200 miles, but i was thinking of letting it go until the light comes on this time

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
I have a book at home that, if I'm not mistaken, gives a list of some places you can contact about that. Perhaps you can call a machine shop as well? If I find it when I get home, I'll let ya know.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
Sp00ner said:
I have a book at home that, if I'm not mistaken, gives a list of some places you can contact about that. Perhaps you can call a machine shop as well? If I find it when I get home, I'll let ya know.
that'd be cool, thanks!

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I personally dont trust the oil life light. I have been changing mine at 5k. I had a 03 ION 3 and I let it go till the light came on. It came on at almost 10k from what I remember. Seems like way too long in my opinion.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
jeepin79 said:
I personally dont trust the oil life light. I have been changing mine at 5k. I had a 03 ION 3 and I let it go till the light came on. It came on at almost 10k from what I remember. Seems like way too long in my opinion.
that's why i want to wait once and see the results of an oil test. that's the only real way to find out if you ask me...

·
Registered
10,787 Posts
Since I don't put a lot of miles on my car, I'll just be changing my oil once to twice a year or when the oil life meter comes on. The way I see it, if GM says the oil is fine, then its fine. If its screws the engine up, they pay for it all and I get a new engine as it says right in the manual to trust it (well...not those exact words). I mean in the 4 months that I've owned my car, I've only put 2,300km(woohoo for metric) on my car.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Don't get me wrong, it IS a good thing....i guess im just not used to it because of my old car. Im just going to wait for the oil change lite to come on.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
XeroState said:
Since I don't put a lot of miles on my car, I'll just be changing my oil once to twice a year or when the oil life meter comes on. The way I see it, if GM says the oil is fine, then its fine. If its screws the engine up, they pay for it all and I get a new engine as it says right in the manual to trust it (well...not those exact words). I mean in the 4 months that I've owned my car, I've only put 2,300km(woohoo for metric) on my car.
That's my exact mind set right now. I just changed my oil at 3200 miles, but that's because I didn't like having the initial break in oil still in there. I'll be listening to the oil life meter now, unless I start having to wait anything past 7000 miles.

And wow, only 2300km in your 4 months of having it. You're missing out driving this thing man! 2300 MILES in 4 months is really low, but km...wow...

·
Registered
10,787 Posts
I know, I am only 18 and need to work (to pay off the car...lol) so its not like I go on trips anywhere (farthest I'll go is s'toon which is ~200km north of me...so not a big trip). My work is, I measured it last week, exactly 7.1km away from my house (so that's twice a day) and my university is roughly 34km away (only in school for the fall and winter semesters though...and I bought this car with 1 month of school left).

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
When I'm at school, I don't drive around too much. I bought mine with 2 months of school left, and ended up putting 1200 miles I think during those 2 months. During the summer now, I have to drive 20 miles to and 20 miles from my internship, 5 days a week. So 200 miles a week commuting to and from work, and wherever else I drive, my miles are racking up pretty good now.

·
Registered
367 Posts
i've put 5000 km on in 2 1/2 months, i drive for the sake of driving :)

·
Registered
8,327 Posts
shit b4 i got this car i was driveing about 1000-1100 miles a week.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
Sp00ner said:

you ever find that book?

i'm going on 8,000miles since my last change, still no oil light. i'm hoping it comes on soon. oil looks dirty, but seems like the level hasn't gone down, still a tad overfilled from the dealer...

i just want to test this damn oil when it does finally come on, then i'll be back to every 3k as usual.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Mine came on at 7800, and my wife's at 7000. I did more hwy driving than she did. If you do a whole lot of hwy driving, it will take it longer.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Sp00ner said:
Why should you have to add oil?? Ideally, you will never have to add oil, and should only change it when the light comes on. Mine came on for the first time at 6800 miles. I changed it at 3500 myself, and didn't hit the reset for it.
Cook off? Synthetic does not cook off near as fast as standard Dino but it still does....

Mark

·
Registered
683 Posts
I hit 15,236 Miles, then my light came on. All highway driving. (I changed the oil 4 times between that time frame though.) I think that is a slight stretch . . .

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
Vita said:
you ever find that book?

i'm going on 8,000miles since my last change, still no oil light. i'm hoping it comes on soon. oil looks dirty, but seems like the level hasn't gone down, still a tad overfilled from the dealer...

i just want to test this damn oil when it does finally come on, then i'll be back to every 3k as usual.
Forgot all about it. I'll check today when I get home.

·
Registered
124 Posts
ok the oil light doesnt know anything about the oil, it only knows the number of miles. U should change ur oil ever 3000 to 5000 miles synthentic supposivly goes 5000 but i change it ever 3000

1 - 20 of 66 Posts