Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The manual states that the driver information center will alert you when its time to change your oil. I don't know if this is just for the regualr ION or the Redline as well. When I press my tripometer it just changes to [OIL LIFE] there is no percentage like I see on other vehicles... Anyone know if this feature actually works on the redlines?

Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,202 Posts
It's suposed to work just as well. You will not be able to see a percentage like on a Cadillac, though. It'll just pop up and yell at you to get an oil change when it's ready.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
rlinbatonrouge said:
It's suposed to work just as well. You will not be able to see a percentage like on a Cadillac, though. It'll just pop up and yell at you to get an oil change when it's ready.
Has anyone actually have this happen to them? I hate the fact that I may be wasting money changing my oil every 3,000 w/synthetic oil even though my car might not need it. :/
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,202 Posts
Mine came on the first time around 8000 miles. Personally, I change my oil much more frequently than that. There was a thread a while back about this. I change my oil about every 4000. Changing oil sooner than you are supposed to will not hurt anything.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
rlinbatonrouge said:
Mine came on the first time around 8000 miles. Personally, I change my oil much more frequently than that. There was a thread a while back about this. I change my oil about every 4000. Changing oil sooner than you are supposed to will not hurt anything.
except your wallet, lol!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
73 Posts
if your using a full synthetic like your supposed to be doing you can let it go a lot longer then 3000 miles. mobil 1 claims that their oil will protect up to 15,000 of course your not goin to do that. my point is you don't need to change it every 3000. if you read your owners manual further (might be for cars using regular oil) the 3000 mile expected oil change is for city driving there's exceptions wile driving on the highway and such other things.

i personally change my oil every 4500-5000
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,202 Posts
The back of that Mobil one says there are conditions as well. In places where people are driving in extreme heat, extreme cold, dirty envoriments, high humidity, low humidity, and basically anywhere else other than a closed room with climate control, you should change the oil more frequently. The owners manual says the same thing. Mobil's new "15,000" mile oil cracks me up.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,231 Posts
mine didnt come on till 9000 miles. Of course I changed it before that a few times but still.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,965 Posts
I changed mine after the first 1000 just to get whatever initial crap out of the motor, then at 3000 roughly before I went away to school. I then let it go until about 9000, so 6000 miles inbetween, and that's when my light came on to tell me to change it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
My oil change light just came on at 7,000 miles. My husband's redline came on at 7,000 miles too. He's an ASE Master Certified Technician and he said the oil looked great when he changed it. I would not leave my oil in a car for 15,000 miles. The oil may survive but what about all the crap that gets in it? The light seems to work just fine.

By the way, the dealer tried to sell me an oil change at 4,000 miles (the first time I had it in for another problem.) The service guy tried to tell me that the owner's manual is written for "northern cars" and nothing in them applies to things in the south. He seemed surprised that I knew the car had synthetic oil in it. I'm not convinced that he knew. He just wanted to sell an oil change. I think I know more about cars than he does. How sad.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
lauramjg said:
My oil change light just came on at 7,000 miles. My husband's redline came on at 7,000 miles too. He's an ASE Master Certified Technician and he said the oil looked great when he changed it. I would not leave my oil in a car for 15,000 miles. The oil may survive but what about all the crap that gets in it? The light seems to work just fine.

By the way, the dealer tried to sell me an oil change at 4,000 miles (the first time I had it in for another problem.) The service guy tried to tell me that the owner's manual is written for "northern cars" and nothing in them applies to things in the south. He seemed surprised that I knew the car had synthetic oil in it. I'm not convinced that he knew. He just wanted to sell an oil change. I think I know more about cars than he does. How sad.
Yeah, considering that the oil changes at my dealership are $88 a pop!
 

·
Superd00d
Joined
·
22,040 Posts
I'm not sure how they can charge $35 for almost 7 qts of Mobil 1, a filter, the labor, and the lube job. That's less than I can do it for myself. Hell, the filter was $5 and the oil is about $5/qt. Not even including grease for the grease gun and the time it takes to do it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,041 Posts
That's the price for us. When they buy big drums and filters in bulk, it'll come out cheaper than what we would pay. I bought all my supplies for $43, so not that big of a difference. That 35 doesn't include their labor charge either, wonder how much that was...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
425 Posts
Mine came on at 4500. I bought a VIP package at the dealer for $249.00 for lifetime (of the car) oil changes. They sold it to me before they realized that the redline took synthetic......good for me sucks for them as they have to honor it now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,244 Posts
My dealer said the oil changes would run around $75. I had it in for some other warranty work and had them change it. Lucky for me they forgot to charge me for it. I guess they felt bad for having my car in there so many times since I bought it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,143 Posts
jeepin79 said:
My dealer said the oil changes would run around $75. I had it in for some other warranty work and had them change it. Lucky for me they forgot to charge me for it. I guess they felt bad for having my car in there so many times since I bought it.
they may have forgotten to change the oil also
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
258 Posts
jpapa said:
That's the price for us. When they buy big drums and filters in bulk, it'll come out cheaper than what we would pay. I bought all my supplies for $43, so not that big of a difference. That 35 doesn't include their labor charge either, wonder how much that was...
Don't know what labor or any other charges were; just paid my $35 for Mobil 1 oil lube and filter . :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
125 Posts
rlinbatonrouge said:
Mine came on the first time around 8000 miles. Personally, I change my oil much more frequently than that. There was a thread a while back about this. I change my oil about every 4000. Changing oil sooner than you are supposed to will not hurt anything.
You guys should be reseting the oil meter each time you change your oil, like the manual suggests. I changed mine at 2000 right after the break-in period, and now I have 9000 without the change oil alert coming on. I suspect that is because I reset the meter when I change my oil.
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top