Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally had the oil change warning come up. At just around 6500 miles. Might be 6800, I forgot already. But it's on!

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I reset it accidentally at about 100 miles or so, it was 6834 that it came on at. So just about 6700 miles. Dosen't seem to crazy, I've seen more than one car site that states their factory maintenance schedule says 5000-7500 miles... I'll change it, reset it, and see how long again... I changed it once at 3,000. So I'll do it now and get back on schedule.... it's pretty annoying when it's on.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Ah so you did change it at 3000 and just kept the monitor on. At least we are getting more and more reports that make this thing sound like it's semi accurate. I'm thinking about changing my oil now at 3k just to get all the initial crap out because it sounds like a good idea to do so. I don't know if I'm going to reset the monitor when I do that, or if I'll just let it keep going to see where it goes off....I'll probably reset it and then wait to see how long it tells me to go before changing again. Just good to know that it's actually working decently and knows we're using synthetic.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
But even the Mobil One just looks extremely dark after 3000 or so miles... It seems like it is just as dark as just some el cheapo walmart special. Why is this so? Is the color of the oil not a factor in it's life?

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No, the color of the oil has NOTHING to do with it's life. Oil will change a darker color over it's lifetime, and does not indicate 'useable life' of the oil. It's one thing if it's dark 'cause it's dirty. If you have that much dirt in your oil though, you got bigger problems. During the giant 'Oil Change War' in March or so, a couple of the artices posted and researched by people specifically stated that the oil color was irrelevant. At least one said it would change colors as it 'broke in'.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Yeah, ours is at 6500 miles and the light still hasn't come on. Ours sees mostly Hwy miles and not very many starts, so I expected around 6-7K miles. With 8+ quarts of Synthetic, a 3,000 mile oil change is definatly excessive unless your beating the crap out of it.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
slt said:
With 8+ quarts of Synthetic, a 3,000 mile oil change is definatly excessive unless your beating the crap out of it.
6.75 qts of synthetic...unless you're talking about a different car.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.