Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone with Oil or Fuel pressure gauges installed and working in their Red Line? I'm trying to decide which one to get... I'm guessing the 0 - 100 psi would be the one (0-15psi seems a little low to me..... )

·
Premium Member
1,176 Posts
SilverBulletRL said:
Anyone with Oil or Fuel pressure gauges installed and working in their Red Line? I'm trying to decide which one to get... I'm guessing the 0 - 100 psi would be the one (0-15psi seems a little low to me..... )
I would strongly recommend going with electrical gauges. I would not be comfortable with having oil and gas come into the car for a mechanical gauge, just my .02. I dont know what kind of fuel pressure fuel injected cars run, but I know my Camaro, which is carburated(sp) runs about 8psi. So if it is that low, I wouldnt get the 0-100psi, the gauge would never move!

·
Premium Member
3,231 Posts
fuel injected will run between 40-80 psi sometime more on some cars.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Yeah, electrical ones all the way. And of the two, you want 0-100psi gauges. Fuel pressure is on the order of 30-60psi usually, oil pressure is similar. 0-80 gauges would probably be more ideal if you can find em...

·
Premium Member
1,176 Posts
goofyguy said:
fuel injected will run between 40-80 psi sometime more on some cars.
Wow! I guess there is a lot of difference between fuel injected and carbureted!

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Awesome, thanks for the responses guys. Now I guess the questions is (and this might be for WopOnTour) what wires do we tap into in order to read the signal for fuel or oil pressure?

·
Registered
366 Posts
since we're on the subject of gauges, does anyone make an A-Piller gauge pod yet?

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
NO company is going to make one due to the side airbags. I'd love to be wrong on this, but it seems to be federally mandated.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I have the Digital Autometer Nexus Gauge I run a Fuel Pressure and Boost Gauge. But if you want the Nexus Gauge get ready to fork over some cash. About $ 200 for tha gauge and another $200 for the control module.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
Yea man, those are soooo expensive. I just couldn't justify that much money for the gauges. I know they have some 'perks', but $400 for two gauges is sick. It's better than the Autometer Cobalt gauges that run $200 a peice for gauges that don't do anything other than show you what's going on.

Blubatmobile: The fuel pressure has to be much higher for fuel injection. There needs to be signifigant pressure to get the fuel to come out just right. On a carb, you're mainly using the air that rushes past it to 'yank' the gas out and mix it along the way. Here, you have much less time for the fuel to mix with the air, so it needs to be a much finer, more regulated, mist.

·
Registered
103 Posts
SilverBulletRL said:
Awesome, thanks for the responses guys. Now I guess the questions is (and this might be for WopOnTour) what wires do we tap into in order to read the signal for fuel or oil pressure?
You don't. The car has no fuel pressure sensor or oil pressure sensor.

It does have an oil pressure "switch" that toggles probably when the pressure hits 6psi or so. It's not a true analog sensor.

If you want to use either of those, you have to install your own sending units.

·
Registered
674 Posts
With out being to mechanicly adjust the fuel pressure on our cars (gota love that computer control) a fuel pressure gauge is kind of worthless. Id save the money and put it into a wide band for tuning and engine monitoring.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
yeah you guys are right. I haven't ordered the gauges yet cause I'm still trying to figure out what exactly to get. I still have my SCDyne Header sittin around... so maybe i'll get a bung welded onto that for a wideband

·
Registered
103 Posts
I fully agree that a wideband O2 would be better.... but there's still some value in a fuel pressure gauge. Since the car doesn't have one stock, the PCM has no way to directly observe a loss of fuel pressure. It has to diagnose it by observing the short term fuel trims going out of range, which can take a while ... maybe resulting in some damage before the diagnostic is failed. If you have a fuel pressure gauge you can see it right away.

Still.. i agree... I'd save for a wideband O2.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
Or that Aeroforce gauge... that's worth $200....

·
Registered
103 Posts
Sp00ner said:
Or that Aeroforce gauge... that's worth $200....
Werd. That'd be my first choice for sure. Beats installing 10 other gauges. That and a wideband O2 would probably give you almost everything you need.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
I'm not sure what else you would need at all for tuning, a dyno. A G-tech Pro RR could give you about 50-75% of the info that the dyno will, so ya. Between the Aeroforce, the Wideband A/F, and the G-tech, you could actually get some good info about everything that you add or change about the car... better than 'it feels faster'.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Sp00ner said:
I'm not sure what else you would need at all for tuning, a dyno. A G-tech Pro RR could give you about 50-75% of the info that the dyno will, so ya. Between the Aeroforce, the Wideband A/F, and the G-tech, you could actually get some good info about everything that you add or change about the car... better than 'it feels faster'.
Yeah I agree. Only thing they wouldn't give you is the odd parameter for which there isn't a sensor already. Like oil pressure or fuel pressure. Not critical to have those for tuning, but I guess some ppl might like to have them...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.