Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so its almost time for my 1st oil change...3000 miles right? Should I use the expensive synthetic stuff or is it ok to go with the regular oil that they put in?? Also, does anyone know if the oil change thing on our car is accurate cause it hasn't told me to change yet? Thanks
 

·
Superd00d
Joined
·
22,040 Posts
Use the synthetic, don't mess around with that. The time to change your oil is dependant on your personal feelings about it. Some will go alot more than 3k, the oil monitor will go MUCH more than 3k.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,887 Posts
I just follow the oil monitor, also MOBIL 1 now guarantees something like 10,000 miles on the oil. I think they even have some for 15,000 miles(not sure) I went about 8,000 on my last change anyways.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Also, i bought my car used with 4000 miles, the dealership said they had the only changed and serviced by saturn....how do i know if my oil monitor was reset??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,887 Posts
louballs said:
Also, i bought my car used with 4000 miles, the dealership said they had the only changed and serviced by saturn....how do i know if my oil monitor was reset??
When my monitor went off I reset it so it would quit beeping at me, didn't help apparently when its time to change the oil it knows, kept detecting it over and over.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,233 Posts
louballs said:
Ok so its almost time for my 1st oil change...3000 miles right? Should I use the expensive synthetic stuff or is it ok to go with the regular oil that they put in?? Also, does anyone know if the oil change thing on our car is accurate cause it hasn't told me to change yet? Thanks
As mentioned the factory fill for the Redline is synthetic Mobil 1 5W-30.
The LSJ engine requires a special oil meeting GM Standard GM4718M, such as Mobil 1 or equivalent. Oils meeting this standard may be identified as synthetic. However, not all synthetic oils will meet this GM standard.

To meet the terms of your warranty you need only replace the oil within 600 miles (1000 km) from when the Engine Oil Life Monitor (CHG OIL) first indicated it's neccessary. Changing it before that is optional and in many cases an unnessessary expense- although it's often argued that you cant really do "too much" preventative maintenance.

*Note if your EOLM was accidentally reset, you will need to have your next oilchange at the traditional 3000mi (5000km) from the last change.
HTH
WopOnTour

*Here's a pic of your engine oil fill cap
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
127 Posts
louballs said:
Ok so its almost time for my 1st oil change...3000 miles right? Should I use the expensive synthetic stuff or is it ok to go with the regular oil that they put in?? Also, does anyone know if the oil change thing on our car is accurate cause it hasn't told me to change yet? Thanks
Use synthetic and buy the oil yourself, my dealership charges $12 a quart for something you can get from WalMart for about $5
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks for the heads up guys, its appreciated
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,233 Posts
kazkillinger said:
get royal purple it adds power and is gm4718 compliant the best money can buy
Hmm
I was told that while Royal Purple carries the API "Starburst" it WAS NOT GM4718M approved. Something about not wanting to PAY to participate in the GM testing/certification program (Never seen anything to support either claim however)
Do you have any documentation from Royal Purplr that supports this??
Regards
WOT
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,556 Posts
i use mobil 1.

and change every 3k

my dad says its to soon, and im wasting money

what do you guys think?

keith-
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
95 Posts
Mobil 1 would be the Ideal Oil because it comes factory filled. Why are you guys waiting so long to change your oil for the first time? Initial break-in of the engine would contain high levels of metal, which is normal for a new engine. I would do my first oil change at 1000 miles to flush out all those metals, then do the long oil change intervals.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
76 Posts
You 3k guys are making the oil companies rich. Use Mobil 1 and wait for AT LEAST 5k or the or monitor light to com on. The ol' 3k change was something dictated long ago by the crude oils of the day and the oil companies themselves. GM has spent A LOT of money developing it oil life system. And the system is VERY conservative.

And forget the purple crap. Money down the drain aimed at people who don't know any better.

5k min. or wait for the light.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,070 Posts
Juicer69 said:
Mobil 1 would be the Ideal Oil because it comes factory filled. Why are you guys waiting so long to change your oil for the first time? Initial break-in of the engine would contain high levels of metal, which is normal for a new engine. I would do my first oil change at 1000 miles to flush out all those metals, then do the long oil change intervals.

I would think that break in for this car will be a bit longer for this car because it came with Mobil 1. I say this and still changed mine at 1800.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
4,617 Posts
I disagree, 3,000 miles to prevent an engine going out. If somethings wrong with the engine the closer the oil changes the more likely you are to catch it. Anyways, I bought a service plan for 5 years so they can enjoy doing $108 oil changes 4 times a year when it was only $568 to begin with.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,070 Posts
Aeain said:
I disagree, 3,000 miles to prevent an engine going out. If somethings wrong with the engine the closer the oil changes the more likely you are to catch it. Anyways, I bought a service plan for 5 years so they can enjoy doing $108 oil changes 4 times a year when it was only $568 to begin with.

I got the same thing, and I even got them to do the first one at 1800.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
95 Posts
Remember, that the piston rings take a long time to fully seal. So, there is potential for fuel dilution of the oil, thus making is thinner. If you do a used oil sample analysis, some UOA's show trace amounts of fuel in the oil. Again, this is all normal for engine break-in periods. IMHO, I wouldn't wait 5000 miles to do my first oil change.
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top