Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was on another forum stating plans for my car's performance upgrades in the future.

I was saying that I'd like to get about 275hp and then put a 50 or 75 shot of Nitrous on there.

Another memeber, who said he works for Saturn said, "Have fun watcing your diff pin fly." :confused:

I figured if they made the engine capable of handling a lot more hp then surely the drivetrain should.

Any thoughts or insight on this? Are we going to have to start chaning out drivetrain parts as well when the hp rating gets higher?

·
Banned
177 Posts
Every FWD transmission on the planet has open diff, pin failures. It's a function of design and a key limiting factor to many builds. The problem however is not as much the torque limit as it is the ability to spin the wheels independant of each other.
If you do a lot of clutch drops and single tire burn outs then you'll cause diff failure, but if you stick with normal driving you may never see a problem.

The simple solution is to just install a Limited slip diff and not a phantom grip either. A real Quaife ATB LSD (Active Torque Biasing Limited Slip Differential)

One thing a LOT of people (even Techs) mistake/assume (before seeing it) the RedLine Trans is a GETRAG when in fact it's a SAAB/Opel/etc FGP F35 Trans and the same goes for the CobaltSS.

Saturn has been beating the heck out of the F35 for years in the OLOA races and it's been mounted to a number of high HP prodution and race vehicles in Europe for years.

·
Registered
244 Posts
*I could be wrong*

I had a customer the other day (he was a "goofyguy") wanting to know what tranny was in the RL. So I called my area Saturn Rep (not your average rep either, he knows about cars. he came from the parts end of the biz) He made a call for me and called me back and said it was a F25 which is the same manual tranny used in the 4cyl L-Series.

·
Banned
177 Posts
Until I have had a RL Trans apart and/or next to my F25 I have I can't say for sure if this is the case.

BUT Either way the F25 is just another FGP transmission that has been used in many high power Opel/Saab turbo vehicles for a long time.

I HOPE it actually is an F25 because not only does Quaife already make an ATB LSD for it, but also a 6 speed gear kit too.

All of the GM Tech Connect information says it's a F35, but all the people who I ask say it's a F25 too.

Here is something I found available to the public.
http://media.gm.com/division/saturn/
Scroll down and notice the RL trans is said to be a F35 MU3, but on the same note the ratios I'm told are in the car are F25 ratios not F35? I just don't know for sure.

In either case the FGP transmissions are well built and running in euro vehicle that produce much more HP and TQ than the RedLine or CobaltSS does.

·
Registered
16 Posts
that would be so hot...

all ive heard as well is that they are f35s...but an f25 would be icing on the cake.

and in actuallity...i also remember reading somewhere that the LSD they are going to be offering for the redline upgrade (and SS) is gonna be the quaife...

but we wont know anymore about that till the friggin things are actually announced...

·
Premium Member
3,231 Posts
yup spent a lot of time on the lot the other dy trying to find this one out. We found its the mu3 what ever the hell that is. I wanted to know for sure becuse if it is why in the hell dont I have a LSD yet? Also a 6-speed kit that would be bad ass those would have to go in at the same time. You guys find anything I will be the first to ship that to my house. I want as much as possible.

·
Registered
487 Posts
goofyguy said:
yup spent a lot of time on the lot the other dy trying to find this one out. We found its the mu3 what ever the hell that is. I wanted to know for sure becuse if it is why in the hell dont I have a LSD yet? Also a 6-speed kit that would be bad ass those would have to go in at the same time. You guys find anything I will be the first to ship that to my house. I want as much as possible.

I hope this 6-speed kit has all new gears, becuase you never even need 5th most of the time, and if you went decently bigger you wouldnt use 6th till 80 or so

and 1st is already pretty unusable without a freakin reat launch imho, its as bad as my dads camaro

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
in all honesty i don't think a 6spd would be needed in this car, unless the 6th gear was a total overdrive, 1st is already too short of a gear, and putting in a 6spd would likely only shorten it more. i'll keep my 5 speed

·
Premium Member
3,231 Posts
hell i just want a taller 6th. you can max the car out if 4th if Im not mistaken. shorten up 2nd 3rd a little and give 4th a little more 5th will stay the same and 6th have it be rediculously tall like a .5 prehaps. that way im not buzzing along on the highway Im just there say 70mph 2000rmps?

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
goofyguy said:
hell i just want a taller 6th. you can max the car out if 4th if Im not mistaken. shorten up 2nd 3rd a little and give 4th a little more 5th will stay the same and 6th have it be rediculously tall like a .5 prehaps. that way im not buzzing along on the highway Im just there say 70mph 2000rmps?
that's what i'm talking about, just like you said is how they should be. i hate going 75-80 @ 3000, seems like if they just threw a 6th in there it would be just perfect

·
Premium Member
3,231 Posts
I emailed a few companys on that paticular swap. And quaife about the the differential so we will see what comes back.

·
Banned
177 Posts
Quaife F25 Gear Ratio 6 speed kit details:

1st 2.538
2nd 1.875
3rd 1.421
4th 1.190
5th 1.042
6th 0.960
FDR 3.867

$4795
That's with no LSD and has to be imported from Quaife UK.

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
SCdyne said:
$4795
That's with no LSD and has to be imported from Quaife UK.

OUCH!!!! :eek:

Man, I'll just keep my 5 speed and get the LSD and hope for an ECU reflash in the near future.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
correct me if im wrong, but doesn't the quaife site say that there is an lsd available for both the f25 and f35? or is that turbo f35 different.....

please enlighten me if im wrong.

·
Premium Member
3,231 Posts
I emailed and they said they have a unit for both the f25 and f35 but they are still looking into the car for the fitment issues it may have.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts