Votes: 1 33.3%
  • This is blank 'cuz I have to have 2 options, lol

Votes: 2 66.7%
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My contact at Motegi (American Racing) threw down the numbers, we need a certain amount of interest to get the wheel built. Stock size, available in black or gunmetal, would weigh about 14.5 lbs. I have a Motegi dealer (maybe AR themselves if we get enough) willing to consider a group buy. Full MSRP would be something like $335 each, if I get enough orders together we'll be around $300 a piece, the more orders the lower the price. If you've been looking for a good looking performance wheel that doesn't weigh a ton, post up!!

·
Registered
943 Posts
Interest, hell yes!

Money, no... :(

They are good wheels, and I think the black would look great on my Blue car, but there is just no way I could justify the price.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
One piece forged aluminum alloy. Other wheels in this class cost over $400 each, the Trak Lite is the value wheel in it's catagory to be sure. There are a few that are lighter and just as strong, but they cost from $419 each up to over $700 EACH, and the Trak Lite gives up only 3 lbs to the LIGHTEST of them - which costs over twice as much.

We have a couple months maybe before the money would need to be there, so anyone lookin' for something like this by the wend of summer or sooner, post up!

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
nah I dont think so man. I just dont want to spend that much on wheels. Id rather get other go fast goodies

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There is no other single mod that increases overall vehicle performance as much as lighter wheels. Period. To each his own - it's your car - but nobody can argue that NO other mod can do ALL THIS...

*increase power at wheels and measured acceleration
*increase turn in response and overall grip, improve every handling dynamic *decrease stopping distance and increase brake pad and tire life
*improve gas mileage

...and get points for looks as well. ;)

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
yrethguad said:
Style points are the main thing, 'cuz they unlock more mods.
Style vs Quick!
What BB is trying to say is that dropping 20-25 lbs of "wheel weight" will generally have more impact making you "quicker" (0-60, 60ft times, 1/4 mile ET) than a cat-back and CAI combined. You'll get a lot of arguments until you've done it a few times yourself. I have expreieced it numerous times.
In fact ,I call going from 18" to 15" AN UPGRADE
If they look good too, well that's a bonus.But to each his own- looks are more important than quickness to some.
*Wish I could use the Track-Lites you're working on BB but my QC3 uses the 4x100 bolt pattern.
WOT

·
Registered
943 Posts
yep, Lighter wheels make a great difference. They made a huge difference on my motorcycles. I know people that take off there "pretty" wheels when they go to the track, and put on some small 14" even some 13" wheels for the strip. Lighter and spin up faster. It makes a big diff.

Interest still there, money still not there...

·
Registered
135 Posts
BigBrother said:
There is no other single mod that increases overall vehicle performance as much as lighter wheels. Period. To each his own - it's your car - but nobody can argue that NO other mod can do ALL THIS...

*increase power at wheels and measured acceleration
*increase turn in response and overall grip, improve every handling dynamic *decrease stopping distance and increase brake pad and tire life
*improve gas mileage

...and get points for looks as well. ;)
Actually, there is no single mod that increases overall vehicle performance as much as better TIRES. Lighter wheels are good, I'll admit. But if your actual contact with the surface isn't improved, you get no better performance.

I'm not forking over 1200 for stock sized wheels. Get some 17 by 8's made and I'll be very interested.

·
Registered
710 Posts
I would...

I would definetly get in on this but i dont have a big enough pay check :-\

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
i have made a few phone calls, i should have my new wheels here soon they were made for me. ill post pics when i get them. i can prob get these sourced cheaper than 335 a wheel if i get enough ordered. these are made in the us by a custom builder. i was asked not to post names but aksed if i could hint he sais yes. (overhaulin). they should come in pretty light cant say exactlt how light yet but ill weigh them before and after tires. they are 18x7.5's. hope to get them on real soon.

·
Registered
155 Posts
zfactor said:
i was asked not to post names but aksed if i could hint he sais yes. (overhaulin). .
That's not a hint! That's a dead give away! haha

Josh

·
Registered
3,708 Posts
WopOnTour said:
Style vs Quick!
What BB is trying to say is...
I know x-actly what he's sayin' I was just messin' around. If anyone has played NFS:underground they know what I mean. I noticed a difference with just a lighter flywheel. I can't imagine losing 20+lbs of rotating mass. That's why I'm considering going with a 16" next, if they'll fit over the brakes.

edit: Also, not just how much weight, but where it is. You can have lighter wheels, but if they're bigger, you're putting the mass farther from center, giving it more leverage (centrifugal force). Lighter is good for handling too, allows the suspension to better react and stay in contact with the road. (unsprung weight).

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm looking into that stock weight thing. I've gotten contradictory info from several sources - including a couple inside Saturn. I've heard everything from 16 lbs to 21 lbs for the stock wheel weight. Seems to be an issue regarding width as well - they're listed as 7" wide, but seem to be a 7.5 or 8 as far as measured width and tire fitment are concerned. If the stock wheels are only 16 lbs, then it may very well not be worth the effort.

As for making them bigger or wider - we may very well see a 16" and 18" version, and we MIGHT see wider ones as well. But for now, since we're trying to get a racing wheel made for people who race or would like to race, we're going for the stock size (to keep it within SCCA stock class rules).

Better tires make a huge difference. Lighter wheels affect more than tires do, and the same tires (good, better, or best) will perform better with lighter rims. Tires will help braking, maybe get you a better launch off the line, and certainly affect cornering grip and charactoristics. But lighter wheels do all that PLUS reduce dynamic weight, thus improve mileage, improve brake pad and tire wear, and see a measurable difference in WHP and acceleration (not just off the line). Still the single best mod possible.

I'd love to see what (overhaulin') would come up with. I doubt they'd be less $$ or any lighter, though.

·
Registered
103 Posts
ahh that gunmetal is sweet and the black is awesome too. if i made 1200 bucks i would definatly buy thems

1 - 20 of 32 Posts