Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does the n/a and the force fed ecotec have the same bolt pattern on the exhaust side of the head, and is the engine positioned basically the same?, Im very interested in designing a stepped primary longtube header for the cobalt/cobaltss/ion/redline, and I was wondering if the fitment was the same for all 4 applications? thanx

·
Premium Member
3,231 Posts
yes the patterns are 100% the same. In fact a good upgrade for all NA ecotec ions are the redline header and cat. The redline has over 1 inch in size over stock for the N/A eco.

Cmon ask a harder question.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
As Goofy says,
head to exhaust manifold bolt pattern - identical
exhaust port dimensions- identical
engine placement - identical within platform*
exhaust outlet placement - again platform dependant** but essentially identical (centered)

*There would be no difference between the naturally aspirated ION and the Supercharged ION (or Cobalt for that matter) but there are of course platform specific packaging differences in the other various GM products using the ECOTEC.

**Most notably I have observed some minor differences at the manifold to down-pipe flange (size, angle and interface) For instance, the Malibu (GMX380) with the ECOTEC uses significantly longer primaries to 2 1/2 collector "close coupled" to the TWC. However this shouldnt be an issue as what you are proposing would have these replaced by a full length header right down to the cat on most applications.
HTH
WopOnTour

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
The EcoTec was designed from teh outset to be a modular design in all respects - hypothetically speaking, any part from any Eco should fit on another model Eco with little to no modification. This goes for internals too....

Anyone else waiting with baited breath to build a blown 2.4 stroker LSJ? :D

·
Registered
710 Posts

i dont know the answer to this question ;) sorry i had to say it, plus you already got your answer.

·
Premium Member
3,231 Posts
BigBrother said:
Anyone else waiting with baited breath to build a blown 2.4 stroker LSJ? :D

sweet merciful god I didnt even think of that. Hmmm. *drools mmm displacment.

·
Premium Member
3,231 Posts
yup. that is what we are saying.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Haha, wait, wait one second, you're telling us you're going to take a rental car, start wrenching on it to make performance parts, then just put it together and give it back? BRILLIANT!

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
We drove a rental Trailblazer up the side of a mountain in Colorado. I laughed my ass off when I checked the 'no off-roading section of the contract. The guy that rented it to us was a friend of my buddy that was going, and he knew where their truck was headed. Should have seen him when we brought it back, covered in red mud. He told us they had to wash it like 3 times, and pressure wash the undercarriage for an hour! Rental cars rule!

·
Registered
141 Posts
urbanmonkeygod04 said:
Haha, wait, wait one second, you're telling us you're going to take a rental car, start wrenching on it to make performance parts, then just put it together and give it back? BRILLIANT!
Hey Spooner, there's your ECU! :D

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
Now, if I can just find a place that rents Redlines... then I'll stick the ECU from my Camaro in there, and send it back not working.

"I have no idea maam, the car just stopped running, might be the computer..." :rolleyes:

·
Registered
10,787 Posts
Hahaha. Its fun to 'test-drive' 4X4's. Just go offroad and return all muddy and some scratches. When they ask what happened, simply respond "it's a 4X4 right? I was merely testing its offroad capablities, not bad, I will shop around though, thanks for the test drive". I guess you could do that with a rental too, their expression is priceless when they first see it.

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
I miss my RL. It's in the shop until Fri. when they'll get a new shifter and install it.

However, having a Dakota as a rental is helping me get a lot of things done around here that require a truck. :D

·
Registered
10,787 Posts
A truck would be handy to move stuff, way to take advantage of the situation. And JPK, "Location: Behind you yelling, "Get the F**K out of my way!!!" while reving engine"...I normally yell "Slow POS, MOVVVEEEE!!!!" regardless of who is in my car...except my parents and grandma.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts