Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry for the OT post but I know this forum gets more traffic than all the others combined.

Anyhow, I am going to NY for testing for a position as an Aircraft Maintenance Technician with Jet Blue. If I get the job, I'd be stationed at JFK. I know NOTHING about NY and have never been there.

I need suggestions for sides of town to live on so my family and I won't be in the "ghetto". I have two kids who will be 6 and 4 years old in Feb. So school systems are also a concern of mine.

I'd like to rent a house but would settle for an apartment. Another factor is another one of my family members is an 80 pound German Shepard so it would HAVE to be somewhere who will allow pets.

I also don't mind a small commute back and forth to work (45 minutes or so) if it would be smart financially and reduce rent payments.

ANY insight, suggestions and the like are GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks,
Jason

·
Registered
416 Posts
JPK said:
Sorry for the OT post but I know this forum gets more traffic than all the others combined.

Anyhow, I am going to NY for testing for a position as an Aircraft Maintenance Technician with Jet Blue. If I get the job, I'd be stationed at JFK. I know NOTHING about NY and have never been there.

I need suggestions for sides of town to live on so my family and I won't be in the "ghetto". I have two kids who will be 6 and 4 years old in Feb. So school systems are also a concern of mine.

I'd like to rent a house but would settle for an apartment. Another factor is another one of my family members is an 80 pound German Shepard so it would HAVE to be somewhere who will allow pets.

I also don't mind a small commute back and forth to work (45 minutes or so) if it would be smart financially and reduce rent payments.

ANY insight, suggestions and the like are GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks,
Jason
You want to rent a house? In New York City? Have you ever been there?
I like Manhattan. More expensive than the burrows, but cool. I wouldn't want to love in NYC with kids. I have 3 and could have one there, but it is a huge pain. I do like public transportation though. Be prepared to pay more for parking your car than for the car itself. . .

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
shaneathan said:
You want to rent a house? In New York City? Have you ever been there?
I like Manhattan. More expensive than the burrows, but cool. I wouldn't want to love in NYC with kids. I have 3 and could have one there, but it is a huge pain. I do like public transportation though. Be prepared to pay more for parking your car than for the car itself. . .

Never been there.

I'm willing to commute. If I have to live outside the city to rent a house then I will. Actually, I'd probably prefer living outside the city.

Like I said though, I know nothing about NY, thus the post.

I kind of have to go where the money is, ya know? I currently work for Delta Airlines and they are closing the Hangar here in DFW so I'll be without a job. I've tried to find work in other fields but nothing pays as well as what I'm doing now. And even then, you have to be on with a contending airline to make any real bread.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I'm from NY. (Long Island). JFK is on the south shore of LI, between Manhatten and Nassau county. Anywhere is Nassau County(suburbia) is going to be a 45-60 min commute to JFK during am rush hour. You can find plenty of houses to rent in Nassau. Just stay away from Hempstead/Roosevelt area. Good Luck

·
I
7,839 Posts
If you are going to rent a house in Long Island, the public school system in Valley Stream and the surrounding area's aren't bad. If you go out into Nassau county, try and stay near the southern state parkway to make your commute a little easier. It will be a rough commute to and from JFK, but it beats living in the city and having to pay for those HIGH parking costs. Either that or you could maybe live in staten island and possibly NJ. I may be wrong but I think that JFK is located off the belt parkway, so keep that in mind.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Yea JFK is off the belt so you can possibly look in Staten Island....JFK is about 30 miles from the SI/NJ border (outerbridge crossing)....the areas of SI that are close the the ferry and the Verrazano are actually pretty nice, not exactly what you would call cheap though....In 2001 a 2BR apt on the waterfront was going for $1500....If you are up for a good drive you can check out parts of NJ, preferably places with access to the Outerbridge or the Goethals (only ways into SI from NJ)....good luck with whatever you decide.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts