Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have been thinking about painting all my callipers red...i have seen this idea on other cars like the srt-4 and other cars with brake pads...is this a good idea..are there any negatives to doing this..if not how would i go about painting them...what kind of paint should i use,etc...???

·
Registered
134 Posts
powder coating means having to take apart and rebuild new factory calipers, thus taking the warranty and throwing it in the trash. ON my cars i buy the brake calpier paint kit from most auto parts stores from dupli color. It has a brush, masking tape, brake clean, and paint. I was pissed to find out it was not in a spray can, but it looks much better than spray and you can get into the tiny spots, without all the over spray. I did mine in about 2 hours, thats about 3-4 coats which makes it look powder coated. It also has ceramic in the paint for the heat. Just my .02. Oh and also remember when you crash the car due to brake failure and the dealer is fixing it and find out the calipers are rebuilt on a new car, you prolly won't get shit out of them. Again this is just how i feel. Later Jay

·
Registered
810 Posts
i rattle canned mine on my last car. they never once chipped or dulled. its all in how much time you want to spend in prepartation for the actual paint. this time, im thinking of trying DUPLICOLOR's brake caliper paint, that is a rubber based paint that flexes with the change in temperater. and the good think is you dont have to take off anything but the wheel because you paint it on with a brush. ill let you know how it comes out.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
?

does painting the callipers decrease your brake performance or get rid of your warranty?...

·
Registered
681 Posts
Painting them does neither - if you just paint them. When you totally disassemble them, have them painted or powder coated, and rebuild them, your warranty on your brake calipers is gone. Doesn't affect performance, just looks good.

·
Registered
762 Posts
I wanna get mine done, this shop that I've been checking out does them for a decent price, I was thinkin of a few other things I might wanna get powdercoated such as the top peice in blue to accent the spark band cover :) The guy seems to do alot of stuff so I may let him just take the calipers off and put them back on not to sure maybe I'll go the duracolor do it yourself kit. How much does that kit cost I want mine in blue! LoL

·
Registered
681 Posts
Check out my valve cover - REALLY easy to do in wrinkle paint...cost me $8 in paint.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Jim Lewis said:
Check out my valve cover - REALLY easy to do in wrinkle paint...cost me $8 in paint.
Really? Was it easy to take apart. If you would like my Yahoo ID is dadadadexter for 8 bucks thats AWESOME and I have all weekend to do it to
!

·
Registered
681 Posts
D3XXFR said:
Really? Was it easy to take apart. If you would like my Yahoo ID is dadadadexter for 8 bucks thats AWESOME and I have all weekend to do it to
!
I can help you with it, but we'll have to use YOUR oven to bake the wrinkle paint - my wife is still pissed!

·
Registered
681 Posts
unknownsuperhero said:
That is awesome :D
SHE didn't think so! There's nothing quite like the aroma of paint and aluminum cooking at 275 degrees to overcome that unpleasant Glade air freshener smell!

·
Registered
762 Posts
LoL you have to bake it? Oh man powdercoating just sounded alot easier haha

·
Registered
681 Posts
Sure, you just heat it up in the oven so the paint wrinkles, only takes a couple of minutes. As soon as it cools (10 minutes), you put it back on the car - not like with powder coating where it costs you $75-100 and your car is down for the period it takes for the dude to do the job...no thanks, this is my daily driver.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts