Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, i'm looking to do some visual stuff for my car, more specifically paint different things. Has anyone done any painting to their vehicle and if so do you have any tips, ideas, types of paints that you used. I went to the duplicolor website (www.duplicolor.com) and they have a few paints that would look really cool if they came out right. I just don't want anything to get screwed up and look like crap! Thanks..........

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
I wouldnt do it unless u are a monster at painting plastic and 2 you tried it before! I can honestly say i messed my entire dash up in my old cavy with red paint :( I bondo'ed over that sanded & primed like 5 times then tried again and it looked fairly descent but the ion has alot of texture in plastic the only peices that you could paint would be heater vents console etc. might look good but im not going threw that again ;) I recomend model paint it gets expensive but it trully is the best doesnt fade ot crack or scrape off when properlly prepped and looks awesome! (gets pricey 3.00 a bottle "very small" :cool: )

good luck thoe and show pics if you decide to try anything!

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks, im afraid to try anything too, in my last car i painted some of the vents and stuff and it looked great at first, then faded after a while and chipped etc....

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
I've met many people that have painted interior components, they all said it looked great, and when I looked at it..... ummm... well, lets just say it had a nice personality...

·
Registered
115 Posts
When I paint anything plastic I fiberglass RESIN everything. Just the resin, Sand the part - Resin it - sand it again - prime it - paint it = nice and smooth

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have seen people use duplicolor metalcast on a composite (plastic) intake manifold and fuel rails. Looked great IMHO, he said it didnt take much work but it ended up looking like a metalic powdercoat.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
....i think i'll hold off on this stuff....i guess that stuff should be left to pros, id be very upset if i made me car look like crap

·
Registered
808 Posts
I painted over half my dash on my qc3 and it looked great. go to www.rankmyride.com and look up jaxxpo I should still have pictures or my old qc there.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
that looks really good man, nice job......are you experienced with painting?? what kind of paint did you use?? howd you do it?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Draxxus said:
When I paint anything plastic I fiberglass RESIN everything. Just the resin, Sand the part - Resin it - sand it again - prime it - paint it = nice and smooth
This process works every well. My boyfriend has also done this technique on another GIRL's saturn..haha..but yes I will testify that this process is the best.

·
Registered
808 Posts
John said:
I painted over half my dash on my qc3 and it looked great. go to www.rankmyride.com and look up jaxxpo I should still have pictures or my old qc there.
Believe it or not i used krylon fusion paint(made for plastic) and have model painting experience, lots of patience too. the key is lots of very light coats. and good prep I cleaned all the pieces with alcohol before i painted them.

·
Registered
808 Posts
SoCo Lime said:
to make things earier on you...... PLASTIC NEEDS ADHESION PROMOTER :rolleyes:
Thats why i used fusion its mixed in the paint:)

·
Registered
196 Posts
I painted the vents in my old SC2.....I bought automotive paint to match the exact color yellow as the car.....I had to sand down the vents, then I used an airbrush gun and sprayed coat after coat.....between coats I would wet sand the paint with the finest sandpaper I could find.....the finish came out almost flawless

·
Registered
173 Posts
Its called PITBULL, It works great and any plastic material, I painted all kinds of shit on my car at my bodyshop. But for the ext it was wetsand, primer, wetsand, paint, wetsand. The process sux but it makes you paint look like glass.:)
my pics are in the photo gallery. Little RED is me.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
after reading this stuff i've decided that due to laziness and lack of experience im leaving well enough alone....thanks though!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Small tip, you have to clear coat over the paint when it's dry.

At least that's what I'm told. . . I only deal in parts ;)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts