Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Anybody have trouble keeping the parking brake working properly?

I had noticed that the car does not hold on a hill so I had it adjusted last time at chevy. After being adjusted, I noticed the brake handle in the car felt tight and the car was holding on a grade of about 20%. After several weeks it seems that it went back to the way it was and it only holds the car in place at about 10% grade. So I try to park with a horizontal 0-5 % grade

Any suggestions I can make to chevy when I bring it in because it is hard to find places all the time that have perfect horizontal grade

-note - I had new brakes installed (2017)- the rear calipers new (GM) and I have power stop rotors and brake kit installed (about 10000 miles -11/2019).

How does the parking brake work - does the force apply to all wheels or are they to the rear, for example? Perhaps to one wheel?

Registered
Curious when you set the parking brake, can you take a look at the back of the rear calipers. You should see if both mechanisms are pulled the same.
I鈥檝e gotten a faulty new rear caliper where one wasn鈥檛 working.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Curious when you set the parking brake, can you take a look at the back of the rear calipers. You should see if both mechanisms are pulled the same.
Thanks for the excellent tip -

I will ask them this at chevy when I go

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks again for the information regarding the calipers. This helped me explain to the chevy service technician.

He gave me some bad news - the left cable rusted and broke. So I guess I have only one working.

The tech said that I should replace both of these. Do you or anyone on the forum know if the ebrake cables can be done at a regular retail auto service or an independent auto repair garage. Can we use any type of cables - universal or they have to be OEM Saturn ebrake cables

I think the repair rate is like $179 or something around there at chevy ,

I wonder what the cables cost
I have to park on even surface for some time until I can afford these,
Any help or suggestions, please let me know

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You could use any cable but they would have to be cut to fit if to long. And yes any shop can do it.
What do you think a total repair cost would be for two cables - purchase parts and installation ?

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
thanks everyone - it helps

rockauto 35.79 each so about $ 80 +one hour labor - add 100$ for shop or $175 at chevy

chevy is asking $480

Is this job more involved on our cars? At $480 - they must think it takes 2 hours

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I believe as of a few months ago rockauto sold each rear caliper cable, Individually.
It may also be the caliper like you said the reason I agree with you is that there is a noise - like the caliper is releasing when held on a 10% grade

I checked this with releasing the parking brake and just holding the brake pedal and it makes a similar noise but less intensity.

I had new GM calipers installed at chevy in 2017

Before that the calipers would stick and sometimes the sound was higher intensity - like it was breaking them free - I could feel the snap

I guess it could be both affecting the other.

Super Moderator
3 hours sounds right for shop time. The book probably says to remove the center console and partially peel back the carpet. It's honestly not that bad of a job. Be an easy 3 hours for a tech to grab if he half knows about the platform

Reactions: pooper409

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
3 hours sounds right for shop time. The book probably says to remove the center console and partially peel back the carpet. It's honestly not that bad of a job. Be an easy 3 hours for a tech to grab if he half knows about the platform
I am not sure if they are doing the "third" cable - just the two - - I don't know - is it independent from the two that attach to the calipers?

175 times 3 = 575 + cable if they are $50-100 each = $675-775

So I don't think they are doing the console

I think they are just doing the caliper attached sides as the water gets into the hole and feeds into the "pipe" along the cable

I hope that they can do it because as you know our cars are over with from their point of view,

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
THANKS every one - I appreciate the feedback and it helps a lot

I went to AAA and they ask me if it was the 1 , 2, or 3
I said no it's the redline - the unknown economy performance version

they give us that funny look :unsure:

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
any one interested -

it was not the e-cables that broke but the caliper was freezed up

apparently the part that was affected was the e-brake attachment to the caliper

good news perhaps - a little cheaper
\
it was a 2 day job because they found out the caliper was bad

Chevy is awesome!

Registered
I've had to replace my rear calipers 1-1/2 times over already. The mechanical pivot pin sticks. I've lightly tapped mine with a hammer to release them before. I've also gotten a grease gun with a needle fitting to go under the rubber seal, but I've always been back out to the junkyard hunting for G6's, HHR's, and Malibu's with 4-wheel discs.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I had the calipers replaced in 2016
When I got the car in 2014 I noticed that there was a sticking and noise - like the parking brake was weak

my quess is the exposed parts to water and the rust accumulates on the surfaces quickly

If the parking brake was tight before a lot of rain the condition is worse

like said, I think we need to keep them "greased"

I am thinking when it rains - to not apply a lot of pressure to the e-brake

and not to park on a hill

If you are DIY person then this easy but telling the shop to do maintenance on the brakes ?

I used to have a place that charged me $35 to lubricate and clean them but they don't have mobile 1 on hand

Registered
I know the oil cap says Mobil 1, but that was back when Mobil 1 was one of very few oils that met GM Standard GM4718M. Dexos1 supersedes GM4718M. As long as that place has Dexos, keep taking it back there and maintain the braking components.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts