Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

41 - 60 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
I had to use the cobalt nut to secure the spring into the strut, the ION one would not work with the parts I had. We tried like hell with an impact wrench and it would not bite enough, used the cobalt one and it was snug flush against the plastic lock crap in the nut.
the only way that will work with the Cobalt nut, is if the spacer that is supposed to be integral to the strut mount has dislodged and is missing upon reassamby. Eventually without that spacer the strut mount metal will collapse around the strut shaft.

email me i can send you pictures, I dont have time to photobucket this stuff thanks

·
Registered
980 Posts
the only way that will work with the Cobalt nut, is if the spacer that is supposed to be integral to the strut mount has dislodged and is missing upon reassamby. Eventually without that spacer the strut mount metal will collapse around the strut shaft.

email me i can send you pictures, I dont have time to photobucket this stuff thanks
Ill email you qwik, but unless they didn't ship the mounts with this integral spacer you're regarding, nothing was missing man. The only pieces I had left was the two ION nuts. Everything was bought brand new from GM part numbers and put together, (I even did it twice with the spring compressor just to make sure the strut hat was clocked to the end of the spring's coil) then the entire assemblies were swapped on the car.

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
Ill email you qwik, but unless they didn't ship the mounts with this integral spacer you're regarding, nothing was missing man. The only pieces I had left was the two ION nuts. Everything was bought brand new from GM part numbers and put together, (I even did it twice with the spring compressor just to make sure the strut hat was clocked to the end of the spring's coil) then the entire assemblies were swapped on the car.
got ur email so i will send u pictures. I dont think the spacer will fall out on anew part but I have parts to look at in stock and will check because normally on the Ions the cobalt nut, just like GC says, wont fit. so I will try to help and we can see if it all is as it seems ; I want to be sure, as I fool with these struts every day thanks

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
Onsite, I suppose I could see if CED could do better and cancel the Ott order since he obviously hasn't shipped em yet.
Pedders go crazy if any dealer advertises less than their msrp. so thats why ced dont do that. I am not sure why OTT sell stuff at or close to, or even below cost, they have done that with gauges for example. Makes no sense to me. Someone can figure it out.

so good luck. Pedders are very slow to get shipments in from Oz, and supply is an issue if you dont have the capability to buy large inventory. CED and Tom are capable. But they have an inventory, but they dont give the stuff away, and neither should they. But some folks buy 100% on price, and it seems to me, like buying on eBay the deals can go south.

CED and ZZP are two reputable vendors as far as I can see. I thought ZZP are a preferred vendor on here. OTT is not.

And I am here as a private individual thanks to Eric.

·
Likes "Cheese" and "Head"
16,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
ZZP is no longer a supporting vendor on this forum. Its very expensive to advertise on just one of the autoguide forums. The best deals are when you advertise across all or multiple autoguide forums.

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
ZZP is no longer a supporting vendor on this forum. Its very expensive to advertise on just one of the autoguide forums. The best deals are when you advertise across all or multiple autoguide forums.
wow good to know;btw Pedders from CED are well priced, and have inventory for delivery. How well priced? Less than quoted on here? Call 4 urself lol:king:

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
wow good to know;btw Pedders from CED are well priced, and have inventory for delivery. How well priced? Less than quoted on here? Call 4 urself lol:king:
Shipping is lightning-quick too (or you could move close enough to pick up parts like I do:badrazz:) Tom is great to deal with, no brainer, no headache.

·
Registered
980 Posts
got ur email so i will send u pictures. I dont think the spacer will fall out on anew part but I have parts to look at in stock and will check because normally on the Ions the cobalt nut, just like GC says, wont fit. so I will try to help and we can see if it all is as it seems ; I want to be sure, as I fool with these struts every day thanks
I want to be sure as well, don't want the damn suspension to shit out on me a few months after buying it all.

On another note CED gives you damn near employee discounts on GM products. If you're trying to buy cheaper OEM parts than that, you are probably getting used/not as dependable parts.

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
I want to be sure as well, don't want the damn suspension to shit out on me a few months after buying it all.

On another note CED gives you damn near employee discounts on GM products. If you're trying to buy cheaper OEM parts than that, you are probably getting used/not as dependable parts.
i agree but I found better cobalt spring hats with superior design for our use adapting to Ion redline. flatter bearing seat, taller center section to retain bearing with spacer, and less money lol
so you gotta check/.Also an OEM saturn lsj head gasket kit with tty bolts is waaay less money than identical set for a cobalt...

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
i agree but I found better cobalt spring hats with superior design for our use adapting to Ion redline. flatter bearing seat, taller center section to retain bearing with spacer, and less money lol
so you gotta check/.Also an OEM saturn lsj head gasket kit with tty bolts is waaay less money than identical set for a cobalt...
How much are you selling the conversion kit for? I may jump into pretty soon.

·
Registered
980 Posts
That's sounds worth looking into. When you get thing situated let everyone know and I'd start that swap out. I saw that the parts from other non-delta models like malibus (or one of those cars) use the same one bolt connection for the struts.

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
Okay got some new GM strut mounts from CED picked up today. So now I have the complete parts to review.
quick glance:
2004 original redline rubber in hat is smaller.
2012 OEM strut mount is made in china , comes with the original bearing style and a mechanical locking nut instead of nyloc.
2011 OEM replacement (Dorman) strut mount looks same as 2012, but made in Taiwan.
2004 and 2012 cobalt and Ion spring hats (different diameters) OEM made in Canada
2012 OEM replacement ( wont say lol) hat made in Taiwan

etc. I will email you pictures cant get to it before tomorrow afternoon.

ALSO. my Pedders, on car for a couple season never seen any winter or salt, corroded and paint chipped ( took photos) did not go for warranty as.... meh
but I did media blast and re powdercoat. Looks like they are going straight to pc without media blast based on what I could see.
AND my quest to review these springs show clearly that any aftermarket spring so far is inferior to OEM springs, but OEM springs can break. I got piktars of that.

Pedders are the best after OEM.

that may change lol

·
Registered
980 Posts
Interested in seeing what the strut mounts nut looks like in your shipment. Thanks Qwik.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Ok so after a month waiting on Ott I cancelled the order and got them commin from Tom. Thanks Quick fer the CED info they will hopefully be here Friday and maybe get on over the weekend.:blueblob::phone::stickpoke:redcap:

·
Registered
980 Posts
Ok so after a month waiting on Ott I cancelled the order and got them commin from Tom. Thanks Quick fer the CED info they will hopefully be here Friday and maybe get on over the weekend.:blueblob::phone::stickpoke:redcap:
not a big surprise here lol

41 - 60 of 101 Posts