Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whoot just ordered Pedders and all the parts I need to put em in......So who is gonna come up to MN and help put em in hah! :banana_hi

·
Registered
21 Posts
sweet put a set in this winter myself, not to hard, sure hope they ride as good as everyone says they do, i'm sure they will

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I went off GCs list

ok, from helping mantiskungfu with his pedders/ss/tc swap, you want/need/should get (from top to bottom) :

new saturn ion redline strut mounts
0ttp spacer (glue it to the bottom of the strut mount to aid assembly)
strut mount bearing (comes with mounts)
0ttp spacer
cobalt tc top spring perch
pedders spring
cobalt tc strut
new end links of your choice

you don't neccessarily NEED the end links or new strut mount, but if the little screws holding the strut mount together snap, you're stuck. if you can't undo the nut on the sway link(common), you're stuck. so, you might as well be prepared.

we also discovered that the spring coils hit each other near the top, causing a clunk in the front. a little bit of rubber hose helped.

you'll also want to lube the rubber spring isolator on the cobalt perch to allow the pedders spring to settle evenly.

that lube will also help with getting the rear springs onto the bump stops.

Q: What's the difference between a bolt and a screw?
A: First, you screw. Then, you bolt.

I didn't order the shocks and struts cause they only have 35k on them but I got:

From CED
Ion redline strut mounts and bearings-last they had
Cobalt perches

From ****
Cobalt Pedder springs
I found a discount code and got em for 322$

From PowellMS
Powell ring sets. :redblob:

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
excellent choice re: Pedders...not so much on staying with FE3 struts. IIRC, FE5 valving is 30% stiffer than FE3...much closer matched to Pedders spring rate.

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
I went off GCs list

ok, from helping mantiskungfu with his pedders/ss/tc swap, you want/need/should get (from top to bottom) :

new saturn ion redline strut mounts
0ttp spacer (glue it to the bottom of the strut mount to aid assembly)
strut mount bearing (comes with mounts)
0ttp spacer
cobalt tc top spring perch
pedders spring
cobalt tc strut
new end links of your choice

you don't neccessarily NEED the end links or new strut mount, but if the little screws holding the strut mount together snap, you're stuck. if you can't undo the nut on the sway link(common), you're stuck. so, you might as well be prepared.

we also discovered that the spring coils hit each other near the top, causing a clunk in the front. a little bit of rubber hose helped.

you'll also want to lube the rubber spring isolator on the cobalt perch to allow the pedders spring to settle evenly.

that lube will also help with getting the rear springs onto the bump stops.

Q: What's the difference between a bolt and a screw?
A: First, you screw. Then, you bolt.

I didn't order the shocks and struts cause they only have 35k on them but I got:

From CED
Ion redline strut mounts and bearings-last they had
Cobalt perches

From ****
Cobalt Pedder springs
I found a discount code and got em for 322$

From PowellMS
Powell ring sets. :redblob:
When you say spring perch, you mean the top spring seat or the insulator?

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
you can buy them from me or from CED. The magic spacers came from me not the Ott guy. Still do, but [email protected] has them.

There are cheaper ways of doing it I imagine. If you try to use washers as spacers u will fail. thats life. If you try to use Ion spring hats with Cobalt springs u will fail.

I was the first guy to do this outside the GMPG and the proving ground guys just jammed them in and did not care about steering strut bind (which is mind boggling when you think about it) which causes some pretty dangerous steering response....
so my way is the only good way to successfully use Cobalt springs on a Redline. And no one pays me for my R&D so dont even go on about the "good of the community" /
end rant

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
I want a complete list of everything you ordered, where you got it from and detailed installation instructions.

You are pretty demanding Eric doncha think? Like you are fond of saying, "try the search button".... ROFLMAO!

You dont need a list, you just need CED's fone number.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
CED was out of the rings and I got their last 2 ion hats. **** has the rings for 19$ apiece. I am getting mine from Powell for 18$ a set.

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
CED was out of the rings and I got their last 2 ion hats. **** has the rings for 19$ apiece. I am getting mine from Powell for 18$ a set.
thanks for that. Put the thick spacer under the bearing the thin one on top and use a little grease or silicone to keep the top one in place. Care when assembling is important. Line the spring hat tab up with the spring end at the top, and make sure the spring end at the bottom is in the socket on the strut. IMHO the torque value for the top nut on the spring mount is too high so be careful , it is possible to pull the stud out of the cap. Lots of never seize on the bolts, and I would use rust check on the top hat assembly its a real dirt catcher up there.

·
That guy is awesome ^^^
4,432 Posts

:lol:

·
Registered
21 Posts
that way seems way better, i used a couple big washers and tack welded them into the mount and used some weather strip adhesive to keep the bearing where i wanted it, works well tho

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
if the washers are regular thickness you have lost some drop and have more clearance than you need. If you welded them to the spring hat, the narrower Cobalt hat has a problem already with collapsing in the bearing area with impact loads, without the heat stress that welding on them would cause. Good luck.

I use very hard steel machined shims used in machinery applications.

I increased the clearance by .020 (thats twenty thousands) after my testing showed the hat collapses that much pretty well right off the bat. I pull the struts out every winter and measure and review...

·
Registered
21 Posts
yeah i figured that would happen i welded to the ion mount, do you think having to much clearance could lead to problems down the road, i've had it this way for almost a year with the fe5 springs this winter i put the pedders in seems to be holding up fine so far

1 - 20 of 24 Posts