·
Registered
296 Posts
thx for the link Sp00ner!

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Rear sway bars + Hypervoltage

The rear sway bars available on that site, how are they installed on the car? Do they go inside the car in the trunk connecting both wheel wells? Or under?

With the hypervoltage system, does anyone know how effective it is?

A few of these products would seem pretty nice to have

·
Registered
70 Posts
jpap - they go underneath the car. I believe those are stock upgraded replacements (i think we have both front and rear stock). Sway bars are the best first suspension mod for sure. I had a cavalier before my redline (which i'm ordering monday, with the competition package, yay LSD), and added a rear sway bar, it did amazing things for my handling.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
I thought that they went under the car, was just making sure. My old z24 (1994) had the swar bar under the hood and made a big difference in handling. I know our RL's have them stock in front and rear (out of sight under everything) which is a good reason why our cars handle so well. But I wasn't sure if you could sometimes put the rear sways across the trunk space, because someone I know put one in his car in this fashion. I was surprised to see it in the trunk, it just didn't seem normal to me. I'm thinking that he put it in the wrong place...unless some of them are designed for that.

·
Registered
86 Posts
jpapa said:
But I wasn't sure if you could sometimes put the rear sways across the trunk space, because someone I know put one in his car in this fashion. I was surprised to see it in the trunk, it just didn't seem normal to me. I'm thinking that he put it in the wrong place...unless some of them are designed for that.
What your friend installed is called a panhard bar. It firms up the structural rigidity of the frame and ultimately improves handling. It attaches to the top of the strut mounts, which in a hatchback would be right behind the back seat, or in a coupe, it would be in the trunk. It acts like a sway bar just attaches in a different way.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
VueRedline said:
What your friend installed is called a panhard bar. It firms up the structural rigidity of the frame and ultimately improves handling. It attaches to the top of the strut mounts, which in a hatchback would be right behind the back seat, or in a coupe, it would be in the trunk. It acts like a sway bar just attaches in a different way.
Isn't he really talking about strut tower braces? That's what it sounds like. Panhard bars are on Camaros and Mustangs and such, they tie the rear axle into the frame...

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sp00ner said:
http://www.gravanatuning.com/

Check these guys out, they have some stuff coming for the Cobalt and Redline!
I've been in contact with this company for a couple of days now, and this guy is good man. He is VERY quick to respond, I told him about the wheel sizes that Blu mentioned this morning, he already contacted Saturn and is changing the wheels listed to fit the 5x110 and +42 offset(?). He too has been working with HP tuning on the PCM/ECU and said that it was too difficult for HP to continue working on, they had other cars waiting. I told him about Psi-Fi there and he's going to contact them as well. Here's his email response for our 'list of wanted goodies'.

Thank you for the feedback. Due to it's design, the PCM for all Ions is locked, making it virtually impossible to custom tune the factory computer. There are a few products that can "trick" the computer, but none that are reliable or factory warranty friendly. I had been working with HP Tuners to develop a system for all Ecotec. However, HP has decided to move onto other vehicles, and back-burnered the Ecotec. For us, a stainless air intake is a no-brainer. Header and Exhaust are also fairly straightforward, but I will most-likely partner with an exhaust company. Most spring companies will not publish spring rates. Especially progressive rate springs. We are working with H&R on both Sport and Race Springs, as well as a coil-over system. Regarding handling, struts and shocks will provide more performance than springs. For the track, if I had to choose between a spring set and a strut/shock set, I would rather have the struts & shocks. I'm surprised that Koni does not have anything for the Ion yet. Like the Cobalt, I will probably end up being the one to cut open the front struts and try Koni Inserts. One other killer is the lack of fasteners to simply bolt on a front strut tower bar. The only way to install a strut bar in the engine bay requires drilling.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts