Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was just wondering if you guys could help me get an idea of what i could do to my car to change the motor a little but not have to do a tune........also wat would be a good exhaust system for the car and how hard is it to install

·
Registered
308 Posts
Best thing to do if you want to avoid tuning but still get some power increase would be to buy a stage kit from zzp or a retailer of your choice...The packages come with all the stuff you wanted for vrooms, PLUSSS a tune so your car will run.
If that's a but out of your price taste the simplest to do would be intake and exhaust as you mentioned.
Difficulty of install on an exhaust depends on a few things: what are you installing(catback, downpipe, etc.), where you live (i live in Michigan so my bolts are all rusty and PITA-es), and lastly how many friends you have as they come in handy to catch the exhaust when you get it unbolted.
lemme know if this helped at all.
and if i pointed you the wrong way one of the smart guys will help set ya right.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yea, it helped.....im looking at the intake which i can put in but idk how hard it is to get the stock one out....and for the exhaust im thinking magna flow cat bak

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
ive read through some of the threads here, and supposedly the intake on these cars nets you a loss in power unless you get a stage kit, but you do get the extra noise of the supercharger... i would go with some sort of exhaust first off then stage kit and intake, but its up to you, there are people on here with over 250whp that use stock exhuast, so its up to you,.

·
Registered
294 Posts
The stock intake sucks to take out but manageable even if you have very little knowledge of cars

you have to take off the radiator hose (so get some dex cool) and a 12v power(red) and Ground(black) cord, and would make it easier to remove throttle body and unbolt master cylinder and just move it over a bit

then just keep working with the airbox till you get it out ... then its a breeze to put the new one on

I have ZZP 3" CAI ... i love it the SC whine is addictive .... I also just filled silencer ports(even more whine)

EDIT: Also you will have to remove front bumper ... it is pretty easy too I think there is 8 lil pop rivet things ... and 6 9/32 screws

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
i wanna do the new intake for the the supercharger sound to increase....the K&N cai i believe....but than also im going to put a magna flow cat back exhaust system

·
Registered
308 Posts
Like Mbredline was saying, the stocker is a pain to get out. but to give my two cents, if you get the k&n you might not need to take the bumper off(sure it would make things easier though), just unbolt part of the fender wall.
i had the install in PDF form on my old compy but that was lost in a freak stairs accident.

·
Registered
677 Posts
If you get the k&n intake you are not supposed to remove the stock air box. All you have to do is remove the hose clamps on the stock intake, take the intake out (you do not need to remove the throttlebody or radiator hoses) and pull the air filter out of the air box just taking the top off of the air box, and remove the hose clamps on the bottom of the air box, then take that bottom half of the intake out. And install the k&n top first then bottom But youll have to take the drivers side wheel off and cut a little bit of plastic where the bend in the k&n will hit, thats about it. And you don't HAVE to remove the front bumper, I've done this countless times, and never have removed the front bumper. Its really not that bad at all.

·
Registered
294 Posts
You can do it without taking bumper off ... but i just found it easier to do that then to jack it up take the wheel and and fender wall off ... took like 10 min the first time i took the bumper off ... but to each his own

Also I have heard about people getting codes from too much oil on the K&N and it is only like 2.8"
The ZZP is a true 3" and requires no oil ... it also has a K&N filter and is $80 less

But again to each his own

http://www.redlineforums.com/forums/performance-modifications/43800-zzp-redline-cold-air-intake-2.html

EDIT: also I took my stock airbox out by only removing the radiator hose, power and ground cable and moving the master cylinder over but it was a pain would have much rather just took the 4 bolts out of TB and made it 10 times easier

·
Registered
677 Posts
You can do it without taking bumper off ... but i just found it easier to do that then to jack it up take the wheel and and fender wall off ... took like 10 min the first time i took the bumper off ... but to each his own

Also I have heard about people getting codes from too much oil on the K&N and it is only like 2.8"
The ZZP is a true 3" and requires no oil ... it also has a K&N filter and is $80 less

But again to each his own

http://www.redlineforums.com/forums/performance-modifications/43800-zzp-redline-cold-air-intake-2.html

EDIT: also I took my stock airbox out by only removing the radiator hose, power and ground cable and moving the master cylinder over but it was a pain would have much rather just took the 4 bolts out of TB and made it 10 times easier
Yes, you would have to remove the air box, or cut out the bottom with the zzp intake, but for the k&n you're not supposed to. I wasn't saying you did your install wrong or anything, I was just giving the op other options because the install on the k&n is different than the zzp.

Usually those codes are from people puting too much oil on the filter after they clean it. Also the k&n doesn't require oil like the zzp.

If the zzp intake was around when I bought my k&n I would go with zzp, Although I heard the k&n is louder.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Sorry I was posting at the same time as you didnt read your post till after i posted

I didnt think you were bashing me

I was just posting how I did mine ... I havent had a typhoon so not sure what you have to do with it ... just what ive read

·
Registered
294 Posts
No U dont have to tune with the ZZP

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
k, what all will i need probably tool wise to put a zzp intake on and do i need additional parts besides the kit

·
Registered
294 Posts
No additional parts just make sure you get 3 couplers, they recently changed it from two to three cause the filter dont fit without it ... they forgot mine but sent it to me when i called .. but i made due with electrical tape until then

tools ... various metric sockets, flat screwdriver, channel locks or pliers or vise grips, thats probably about it ... cant really remember what and all you would need

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i'm trying to avoid tuning the car....the closest hp tuner is about 5 hrs from me and im trying to wait to do any tuning till i have my own place and shop to do all the work myself while the car is broke down

1 - 17 of 17 Posts