Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok here are some pics of my prototype CAI system. Note that the bracket for the MAF sensor is not made but we were able to strap it on and the car runs fine and the S/C whine is pretty loud, even though I can't go WOT yet because of the rain. We are still hoping to do a target price of $200 or $215 shipped. The bracket for the sensor and hose that connects in the back will be made on Monday.

But here are some pictures and for all you non-belivers we took out the stock air-box without hacking it up. Just had to break the one bracket that bolt to the tranny in the back, and remove the hose from the radiator.

Attachments

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
What is that fluid that's all over the place? Looks like coolant...

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
nice man but i aint getting a C.A intake scared to suck up water :( unless it is ram air different story ;)

clean install to show me some pics when u get the sensor on and get er dyno'ed!!!!!1

·
Registered
674 Posts
Kewl, nice job. I have the same thing planned. I have all the bends and filter I just have to get the other 1.5 trillion things on my honeydew list done before hand....... ;)

I'm whiped :D :eek:

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yea it's coolent had to take off the radiator hose and when we put it back on a little more came out and went on the pipe. The only way you will damage your engine from a CAI by sucking up water is if you drive though a puddle and the filter gets submerged.

Yea its a michelin jack...it's the guys that is helping me with this. I have a Sears jack that looks the same. Im going to run it on my MR.Dyno like before in about 15min but the roads are wet so ill see what the difference is.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok i did some runs first off let me note when stock dyno took place it was about 40 out and dry...i did the other run today about 55 out and raining very humid. If you look at the secon pic it shows the average HP and Trq those numbers went up a lot. Peak HP went up 8.1 and trq was about the same. My 0-62 time droped a lot though. How i make the runs are go in first gear to 3k then shift to 2 and floor it. This is no real dyno though but it does show I picked up some top end power.

The sensor isn't even in the right way and i never disconnected the battery to reset the ECU. But hey I got 8hp to the wheels in crappy weather and without the sensor really in. I can't wait till i get the sensor mounted the right way and go back to the track to see if my MPH increased at all in the 1/4.

Attachments

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
What is this dyno thing that you're using? From what I could see your pipes look real good, nice bends and such.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
Kind of like a G-Tech....

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
Looks good man!!!

The most amazing thing, to me, is that you got the airbox out without hacking it up LOL!!!! :D

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
JPK said:
Looks good man!!!

The most amazing thing, to me, is that you got the airbox out without hacking it up LOL!!!! :D

Yea it was more work; take radiator hose off, had to take bolts off the brake thing and move it like 2 inches, unplug the sensor up front a ground cable and the positive cable to the battery box in the front.

My filter is a little to big for the location actually so if I make a next one I have to order a slghtly shorter filter or skinnier.

We did have to break the mount on the back of the air box....the bottom hole that goes to the tranny it's impossible to get the box out without breaking that one off there isn't enough room between the radiator and the trans.

·
Registered
86 Posts
cvenom2122 said:
nice man but i aint getting a C.A intake scared to suck up water :( unless it is ram air different story ;)

clean install to show me some pics when u get the sensor on and get er dyno'ed!!!!!1
all you need is a bypass valve and you don't have to worry about water.if you run in water,and your filter gets summerged then the bypass valve collapses and you pull air in through the bypass valve.they run about 50 dollars.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Or you could do a short ram, since our car is one of the few I'd suggest running one on - no water worries...

·
Registered
24 Posts
I think you are gonna wind up hurting power production with that setup. Sure it's picking up cooler air but you also decreased the surface area of the filter...I'll let you guess which is more important on intercooled applications... ;)

·
Registered
681 Posts
I'll be using a long non-cone filter (round, 12", with an air inlet), so air supply will be great. Using a smaller filter, especially with an end cap, would hurt air flow.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Blown330 said:
I think you are gonna wind up hurting power production with that setup. Sure it's picking up cooler air but you also decreased the surface area of the filter...I'll let you guess which is more important on intercooled applications... ;)
Are you saying my intake is going to hurt power???? I made 9hp and the streets dried slightly for a lil bit tonite and my car sure did pull a lot harder.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'm sure it's an inprovement over the stock air box....those, like every other factory blown car, are designed to be somewhat restrictive. But that filter is small...and going smaller due to space constraints? No....find another way to route it and use a bigger filter. Check out www.bakerprecision.com and look at S&B filters...lots of useable surface area. Or look at True Flow filters and see if they have something.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The filter I have on there now is 8.3" in length and 5.78" for bottom diameter and 4.7" in top diameter. So it's a pretty decent size filter. But ill check out theres.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts