Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Found this on the Cobalt forums:
(note that it is not a Techncal Service Bulletin)

Document ID# 1864872
Subject: Transmission fluid Leak Slipping Clutch Or Broken Axle Shaft - keywords crack housing shift slip #PIP3932 - (09/29/2006)

Models: 2005-2007 Chevrolet Cobalt SS
2004-2007 Saturn Ion Redline

Equipped with a 5-Speed Manual Transmission (RPO MU3)

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:
Some customers have commented about transmission oil in the clutch housing, slipping clutches or broken axle shafts on this model. An analysis of several of these failures has revealed that the problem is due to excessive front wheel hop during WOT acceleration events.

Excessive wheel hop transmits a torsional shock load into the transmission case. This causes the case to crack and transmission fluid to leak into the clutch housing. See photos below.

Recommendation/Instructions:
Stiffer axle shafts and hardware will change the system harmonics and help prevent wheel hop. These planned changes will not be available until the 2008 model year.

Note:: Be advised that failures of this nature are abuse. They are NOT defects in materials or workmanship for which General Motors would be responsible and should not be covered under the terms of the new vehicle warranty. Vehicles with this complaint should be inspected by the dealer and Area Vehicle Manager. A product report should be submitted on each.

·
Registered
10,771 Posts
sh-t my tranny is totally leaking...by the looks of this they are trying to keep me out of the service bay before i get there...

·
Registered
575 Posts
great, they acknowledge the problem, and then say 'by the way, they're abusing their cars cause the wheel are hopping, so make sure you charge them for it'

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
nduchene said:
great, they acknowledge the problem, and then say 'by the way, they're abusing their cars cause the wheel are hopping, so make sure you charge them for it'
They're not acknowledging a problem, they're showing the techs how to diagnose abuse of the trany....

·
Registered
10,787 Posts
Exactly, it isn't really a "problem", more of a warning of what certain complaints are from so they don't lose money on warranty work that wasn't a warranty issue to begin with.

And while daily driving my car normally I have never experienced wheel hop, so they in my opinion are right. [Now that is not saying I have never experienced wheel hop..lol]

·
Registered
11,403 Posts
Although I do see this as a bit of a "heads-up" for the techs to look for signs of abuse, it does seem strange that it also includes details on future plans to fix the issue. That seems to be some acknowledgement, anyway. Many times the tech bulletins will be split, one with the parts about abuse, and one seemingly completely separate about the future fix.

·
Registered
8,327 Posts
man i love you ... thats what im going in for ... maybe i dont have to buy a new clutch then :p

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
Well, this could be the problem I am having. Clutch is slipping. If this is the problem:

""This causes the case to crack and transmission fluid to leak into the clutch housing.""

How much is a repair like this going to cost?

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Shabodah said:
Although I do see this as a bit of a "heads-up" for the techs to look for signs of abuse, it does seem strange that it also includes details on future plans to fix the issue. That seems to be some acknowledgement, anyway. Many times the tech bulletins will be split, one with the parts about abuse, and one seemingly completely separate about the future fix.
It is nothing more than a heads up and this why PIPs are only internal to GM and GM has laid out some dealers and people for posting this stuff. We have had this discussion on the axles breaking several times and it is a well known problem which there are already several aftermarket "fixes" for. BTW, this is not the only car that hops and breaks axles.. I have seen a shit load of Hondas with broken axles and several SRTs, so the news flash here would be exactly what? Put your torque brace or traction bars on it and be done with it. Oh yea... Like any halfway smart company, they know the cars are being beat on so to reduce their headache and preserve some goodwill, it appears that they will be stiffening things up a bit for 08... Not saying there is problem just saying that the car is being being beat on and they are going to beef it a bit. Again, this is why PIPs being released are strictly taboo for GM....

Mark

·
Registered
9,924 Posts
Shabodah said:
It's probably cheaper to replace the transmission as a unit that swap parts into a new case.
its going to cost you about 6 or 700 just in labor charges if you have to pay for it.

or about 4.6 hrs

·
Registered
11,403 Posts
mailmars said:
I don't see why you're quoting me here. Your info seems to be as general as mine and doesn't link back to mine specifically. If you're in the business, you've probably seen the split bulletins I mentioned.

·
Registered
764 Posts
XeroState said:
Exactly, it isn't really a "problem", more of a warning of what certain complaints are from so they don't lose money on warranty work that wasn't a warranty issue to begin with.

And while daily driving my car normally I have never experienced wheel hop, so they in my opinion are right. [Now that is not saying I have never experienced wheel hop..lol]

^^^^ What he said. Just because its a supercharged car with a track tuned suspension does not mean that daily driving should include launching from light to light and getting major wheel hop.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Shabodah said:
I don't see why you're quoting me here. Your info seems to be as general as mine and doesn't link back to mine specifically. If you're in the business, you've probably seen the split bulletins I mentioned.
I was more or less agreeing with you and then got a minor touch of the soapbox virus. It just gets me sometimes that a product will function as designed, then used outside of that design and when the manufacture goes " you know, it was never designed to take that but we are going to beef it up to reduce the chances under abusive conditions that it will break." and now there are some going "see, they are admitting that THEY have a problem."...sigh.....

Mark

·
Registered
11,403 Posts
mailmars said:
I was more or less agreeing with you
Oh, ok. It can be hard to decifer people's meaning on a purely text-based post. I'm not saying that the "soap-box" effect isn't occuring by any means. I'm just saying that usually these types of bulletins are better looked over by lawyers than this one appears to be. lol.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts