Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

61 - 77 of 77 Posts

·
Superd00d
Joined
·
22,040 Posts
Blubatmobile said:
Everything that you described something that you are doing to the car, ya, hitting the dash and putting a hole in it obviously will not be covered because it is self inflicted.
Wheel hop to the point of breaking the tranny case is also self-inflicted. I've put 6-7 races, several drag strip trips, and drive it like it's supposed to be driven daily. Never broken anything.

My examples are still legit. I'm simply taking them to the extreme. How about this...
You load a bunch of 2x4's into the trunk. Hit the brakes and one comes flying forward punching a hole into the dash. Why shouldn't GM cover that in your logic? If they were going to make the trunk large enough to contain wood, then why shouldn't they know you're going to have to hit the brakes that hard, and therefore reinforce the dash because of it?

What if you have a big 'dip' at the front of your driveway that you go over at 20mph over and over again. In a few weeks your entire front suspension is shot. Why shouldn't GM cover that? Shouldn't they know that the someone is going to have a big dip in front of the driveway, and why shouldn't the car be able to go over anyting that the front end can clear without damage?

Point being, it's abuse. Plain and simple. You can abuse a car in a number of ways that don't exceed design tolerances. Neutral dropping an automatic is a great example too...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,327 Posts
**** i thought that this was a tsb ... damnit .... now i have to pay for a clutch !!!!! :mad: :( :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
220 Posts
I had the pleasant experience last night of shredding both the left outer and right inner CV joints. Just one two many times of trying to push the car a little beyond its limits.. yes I said limits.. the Redline is an amazing car but it is not indestructable. Deep down inside it's still an econobox. Go watch a NASCAR race. How many parts on those million dollar cars fail each week? Or take NHRA... engine rebuilds every 1/4 mile. Anyone who argues that the manufactuer of a vehicle should have designed it to handle it's own power should think more along the lines of driver's handling their cars power. Breaking parts is a part of racing.. it's how you learn what the car can and cannot do. Anyone who thinks a dealership or manufactuer should be funding their racing hobby, needs to find another hobby because you'll never be any good at it, if you understand my meaning.

By the way, I work for a Saturn dealership as a technician and my car is still under factory warranty. I will be paying for my axles out of my own pocket because I am 100% responsible for their destruction. I'm not totally innocent though.. I did take advantage of the free tow from roadside.. no one's perfect :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
SWCRedline said:
I had the pleasant experience last night of shredding both the left outer and right inner CV joints. Just one two many times of trying to push the car a little beyond its limits.. yes I said limits.. the Redline is an amazing car but it is not indestructable. Deep down inside it's still an econobox. Go watch a NASCAR race. How many parts on those million dollar cars fail each week? Or take NHRA... engine rebuilds every 1/4 mile. Anyone who argues that the manufactuer of a vehicle should have designed it to handle it's own power should think more along the lines of driver's handling their cars power. Breaking parts is a part of racing.. it's how you learn what the car can and cannot do. Anyone who thinks a dealership or manufactuer should be funding their racing hobby, needs to find another hobby because you'll never be any good at it, if you understand my meaning.

By the way, I work for a Saturn dealership as a technician and my car is still under factory warranty. I will be paying for my axles out of my own pocket because I am 100% responsible for their destruction. I'm not totally innocent though.. I did take advantage of the free tow from roadside.. no one's perfect :)

you're pretty cool in my books
:bigthumb:
.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,179 Posts
+1 for that.. never broken anything... thank god....never had excessive wheel hop either.. i did my suspension first.... and now i have the smm and traction bars...so i aint worried...except about installing my interceptors...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
86 Posts
fullthrottle said:
its going to cost you about 6 or 700 just in labor charges if you have to pay for it.


or about 4.6 hrs
i had this exact thing happen to me. in my case there was a lot of broken parts inside and if the case is cracked they will put a ney tranny in and not just replace parts.....my warrenty covered this, but they said they wouldn't cover it again because they "knew" it was abuse. if i would have had to pay out of my pocket it would have been almost $5900.00.
they also have to put a new clutch in which was included in the above price.

btw...i wasn't out racing my car every weekeng and launching like an idiot.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
559 Posts
Happened to me even with a TFI dual upper brace and the Intense transaxle mounts:

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,537 Posts
GM going cheap on their parts. but Now that I think about it every one I know that has a new car(SRT4 STI, EVO Redline, SS/SC SI) are all having their problems so I don't feel so bad anymore
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
98 Posts
Current Tranny Problem

I'm going to post here because it seems relevant.
First let me give you a brief background. If I wheel hop 99% of the time I left off the gas quickly. I don't rev up from a stand still and gun it. 98% of the time I only peg it if the car is already rolling in second gear or higher.

Now to the details:
A few days ago I was pushing the car rather quickly. This was one of the few times that I was in first gear rolling at approximately 3k when I finished my left turn. When I straightened out I pegged it and started accelerating through the gears. I stopped when I was driving halfway through 4th gear and started slowing down and driving normally while shifting into 5th. Ahead when I slowly approached the light I stopped like any normal person. At this point the entire “RedLine” urge was out of me and I started to drive normally. When the light turned green I slowly started accelerating as if I was driving Ms. Daisy. Half way while I was releasing the clutch I heard a POP and the car hopped up. I quickly threw the clutch back in and tried it again so I can get out of the intersection. I pulled right over and looked underneath the car and it looked like the car was leaking black oil. I recently found out that it was not motor oil but tranny oil.

Sorry for the long story but my question is who should pay for this GM or me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,771 Posts
they will make you pay, or fight you tooth and nail to replace the tranny. I had to fight tooth and nail to get mine replaced. They WILL try and tell you "you drive the car too hard" or "you race the car." and, will bring up instances of you telling them about any "kill stories." So, good luck and get the number for Saturn Corporate (its the same # as the roadside assistance).

This is GM's way of backing out of making a tranny that is made to handle 200 ft/lb of tq, when our car is rated STOCK at 198...cutting it kinda close?
It prolly would have raised the price tag of the car tooo much to get the MU4 trans installed instead...
...i mean is this the way GM treats its Corvette owners? or the Sky Redline owners? i guess if you pay less than $30K for your car, the corporation could give 2 sh-ts about you and your crappy car.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,233 Posts
socalsilverRL said:
they will make you pay, or fight you tooth and nail to replace the tranny. I had to fight tooth and nail to get mine replaced. They WILL try and tell you "you drive the car too hard" or "you race the car." and, will bring up instances of you telling them about any "kill stories." So, good luck and get the number for Saturn Corporate (its the same # as the roadside assistance).

This is GM's way of backing out of making a tranny that is made to handle 200 ft/lb of tq, when our car is rated STOCK at 198...cutting it kinda close?
It prolly would have raised the price tag of the car tooo much to get the MU4 trans installed instead...
...i mean is this the way GM treats its Corvette owners? or the Sky Redline owners? i guess if you pay less than $30K for your car, the corporation could give 2 sh-ts about you and your crappy car.
Wow , feeling a little "jilted" lately?
FYI transaxle's TQ "rating" is not directly tied to the peak TQ of the engine in front of it. There's PLENTY of overhead on this trans for the stock/stage2 levels of TQ
JMO
WOT
 

·
Superd00d
Joined
·
22,040 Posts
WopOnTour said:
Wow , feeling a little "jilted" lately?
FYI transaxle's TQ "rating" is not directly tied to the peak TQ of the engine in front of it. There's PLENTY of overhead on this trans for the stock/stage2 levels of TQ
JMO
WOT

Well, he did end up having to unload the car after months of dealer/warranty hassle for an Evo. So he must have felt wronged in some way. Right or wrong they lost a customer here.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,233 Posts
LOL
Wow I didnt even catch that in his sig.
Too bad
All over this tranny??? Gotta be more to it, must have missed the thread...
WOT
 

·
SPARTA!!!
Joined
·
10,655 Posts
vandy0419 said:
Are you being serious? How much are you making dude? I bust my ass all the time for a mesely $11.33/hr! I'd work at Taco Bell if I could make that much!
I only make $8.80 an hour. but the local economy is shot, so everything is Uber-Cheap. $15000.00 houses FTW!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,550 Posts
So... Just curious... Been like 3 years since there was a post in this thread... Wondering how all the people that were defending GM and pointing out that they shouldn't cover abuse feel now..? That is, now that we know FOR SURE that it was a design flaw in the tranny/axle geometry that's 100% cured with a set of rotated mounts. I personally feel that GM should have covered these issues and reimbursed anyone who broke this stuff and paid out of pocket. It's a design flaw, plain and simple, abuse or not.

For the record, the 1st 8 months I owned the car = 3 broken axles. Driving somewhat aggressively but as an adult who knows how to drive, not a teenager doing burnouts everywhere. NEVER did a clutch dump, ever. Only been down the 1/4 mile 3 times, EVER (broke an axle 1st time), all launches from idle, roll into throttle. 2 more broken during normal driving - hit a patch of loose gravel, get a little hop - SNAP before I could even back out of it.

Now 1 year and counting on the unmentionable mounts - multiple long burnouts (literally for no other reason then to prove than the mounts work), 1.5 autocross seasons and a couple more drag passes + beating on the car a lot harder than I used to 'cuz I can actually USE 1st gear now - zero broken axles.

Hmmm...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,033 Posts
Good bump from the dead, wonder what happened to guy three posts back?
 
61 - 77 of 77 Posts
Top