Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody have any clue what kind of Pistons these are? I believe that the Pistons are forged and so are the rods but I have no idea what brand either of them are. I pulled the Pistons out of the engine about 5 days ago just after I bought this car and it's my first redline. I ordered stock Pistons but the connecting rods don't fit the stock piston bearings. If anyone has any insight on what brand these are it would be helpful. Thanks!!! And his is my first redline so bear with me haha

Attachments

·
Registered
7,303 Posts
stock rods are forged! can't tell what the pistons are. def aftermarket.

·
Registered
958 Posts
those are not diamonds show a pic of the pin and measure it those could be a 2.2 piston and rod setup and by the way no ecotec comes with a forged rod

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I bought stock Pistons and rods for the car and the rods that were in there don't fit the piston bearing at all the bearing on the aftermarket rods was way smaller than the stocker. I'll measure and take more pictures for you. Here's a couple more pictures

Attachments

·
Registered
650 Posts
those are not diamonds show a pic of the pin and measure it those could be a 2.2 piston and rod setup and by the way no ecotec comes with a forged rod
LSJ rods are forged

·
Registered
958 Posts
if you look at the rod you can see how it tapers in at the top that could be a 2.2 lap rod and piston combination I do know the l61 2.2 rod is .075 longer then the lsj the le5 lap l61 all have a smaller wrist pin(20mm) then the lsj/lnf(23mm)

you may have bought rods and pistons for a 2.2

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I didn't buy those rods and Pistons myself but I bought the car and had to rebuild the engine and ended up buying stock Pistons and rods and putting those in. I'm just wondering what the rods are that I took out so that I can sell them since I no longer need them is all.

On another note I have the rebuild engine inside the car now and when I crank the engine I'm getting gas but no spark. The coils seem to be reading right as far as the ohm readings I think. When I use a power tester on the plugs that go to each coil I am getting power to one of the pins on each of the connectors but still no spark. Does anybody know what I should look into if I am not getting spark?

·
Registered
650 Posts

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,354 Posts
I didn't buy those rods and Pistons myself but I bought the car and had to rebuild the engine and ended up buying stock Pistons and rods and putting those in. I'm just wondering what the rods are that I took out so that I can sell them since I no longer need them is all.

On another note I have the rebuild engine inside the car now and when I crank the engine I'm getting gas but no spark. The coils seem to be reading right as far as the ohm readings I think. When I use a power tester on the plugs that go to each coil I am getting power to one of the pins on each of the connectors but still no spark. Does anybody know what I should look into if I am not getting spark?
Make sure the boots are all seated properly, and check the ICM as well.

·
Registered
958 Posts

did you make sure you time the exh camshaft position sensor correctly
if not here is how you do it

also make sure you don't have the coil harness is not plugged into I believe the throttle plate plug

gonna trust gm racing on this
go ahead but that book wrong with a lot of its information just like the build book is wrong with some information it contains

the lsj rod is a cast steel rod once casted they hit it in a press then break the cap off hence a broken rod or a cracked rod although it is not forged its still not weak but not as strong as a forging

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I just re timed the exhaust cam sensor so that's good to go but still no spark. I ordered a new ECU so I'll try that and see if that helps. The plugs that plug into the coils have power on the pin at the top but i couldn't tell how much power they were getting yet I need to test that. Also I still have one connector that I assume goes to a sensor but I can't see any sensors that I would hook up to.

Anyone have a diagram or the sensors that are on the engine or a list of sensors that I can check each ones location to see if it's not plugged in. I can't find a picture online for all the sensors anywhere to make sure I check them all.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Whats the connector look like

·
Registered
958 Posts
that Is either crank position sensor or maybe water temp but as toy the plugs not firing the coil pack plug and the throttle plate plug I believe can be swapped check those and see

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The extra plug was the crank sensor plug. I didn't realize the crank sensor was right next to another sensor!!!! Fixed but my timing is off now

1 - 20 of 20 Posts