Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Went car shopping with the girlfriend this past weekend...she's the one buying. Hence the title of this post ;)

She narrowed it down to the Mazda3 and Saturn Ion level 3. The Mazda dealer gave her the runaround--even with me standing there--so we left and headed to the Saturn lot (Saturn of Wexford, right outside of Pittsburgh, PA).

Well, she'll be a proud owner of a loaded '05 Ion quad coupe come tomorrow...that's after they let her (and I ;)) test drive it for the weekend.

So...why am I pissed? They have THREE '04 Redlines--two silver, one a really sharp black--on the lot, just waiting to be sold @ about 17k. And here I am about 3 weeks from college graduation, yet without a job, and probably won't have one nor the money to pick up my RL until later this summer. *sigh* Might just have to wait until the '06s come out, so I can pick up an '05. Or, hell, maybe I'll still find an '04.

(Oh...btw, the dealer and myself tried to talk her into a Redline, seeing it was the same price as the '05 she's getting. :rolleyes: The insurance decided against the RL for her though...about $700 extra a year. For me that'd be no contest, but hey...well, she weighed it against clothes. C'mon, give her a break! At least she drives a stick!)

So...just ranting. My better half's in the Saturn family, and soon I'll be joining. I'll post pics when she takes them.

--Jon

·
Registered
764 Posts
I'm surprised the insurance was that much more. I went with progressive and it was only about $10 more a month for a redline over the level 3 QC.

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
brk_05 said:
I'm surprised the insurance was that much more. I went with progressive and it was only about $10 more a month for a redline over the level 3 QC.
I was surprised as well. She didn't have her heart set on the RL, so it wasn't a big deal to her...as she said...the RL's just my QC with testosterone.

I explained the other differences, but in the end the insurance (Allstate) got her. :rolleyes: I even had the dealer start up and rev a RL and was like...but LISTEN to it! THAT's worth $60 more a month!

Apparently not.

But, hey, that's okay. I'd just spend 5 months coveting.

--Jon

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Agreed on the insurance bit; I ran numbers for an '05 QC3 with a 5-speed and got $1345 for 6 months, and my Redline is only $1400. If that seems like a lot, it's because I'm a 19-year old with 2 tickets and an accident on my record, but it's not actually that bad - I know people who pay that much for liability on a junker.

Plus, I mean, you can buy the QC3 for about the same as the Redline, but it makes no sense. There is so much shit upgraded from the regular Ion that if you tried to make a quad coupe close to Redline status you'd need to spend like $10,000 - the seats, steering wheel, gauges, engine, trans, those forged wheels & gumball tires, steering gear, suspension components, et al. I would've gone w/ the RL if I were her but she may have had different aspirations (hahahaha, I'm so funny, get it? It's a FI joke!)

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
urbanmonkeygod04 said:
Agreed on the insurance bit; I ran numbers for an '05 QC3 with a 5-speed and got $1345 for 6 months, and my Redline is only $1400. If that seems like a lot, it's because I'm a 19-year old with 2 tickets and an accident on my record, but it's not actually that bad - I know people who pay that much for liability on a junker.

Plus, I mean, you can buy the QC3 for about the same as the Redline, but it makes no sense. There is so much shit upgraded from the regular Ion that if you tried to make a quad coupe close to Redline status you'd need to spend like $10,000 - the seats, steering wheel, gauges, engine, trans, those forged wheels & gumball tires, steering gear, suspension components, et al. I would've gone w/ the RL if I were her but she may have had different aspirations (hahahaha, I'm so funny, get it? It's a FI joke!)
Believe me...the dealer and I talked to her for some time @ the lot, then I spent yesterday talking about the RL and the advantages...sort've like...sure, you really DON'T need all that stuff, but it's the same price! Can't hurt in the end.

But I was there when she called Allstate. To insure the '05 QC it was going to be a $5 jump montly over her '98 Cavalier. To insure the Redline it was going to be a $60 jump. We also called Progressive and got a number of quotes--all were a good bit of a jump. She's 21, female...made no sense...but I heard the people on the phone.

Better believe I'll be shopping around for insurance companies when I get my RL!

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
There're several things you can do to lower your insurance rates when you get your car. First off, if you have multiple cars on your policy you get a discount. Then, if you can, find just a $100 piece of shit that doesn't even run, get it towed to your house, and say THAT is your daily driver, put PLPD on it, and then tell them that your Redline is "personal use only" and you DON'T use it to commute in, that'll take the rates down. There're defensive driver courses you can take, as well, that will knock about 15% off your rates. If you've got points on your license, tell your insurance company to list them under "accident" points rather than "ticket" points - speeding ticket points weigh more heavily on your rates over running into somebody. I got a 70 in a 55 ticket & an accident in my Vibe within 2 weeks of each other, and my insurance provider put the ticket's points under accident points & it knocked my insurance down about $50.

Best of luck getting your Redline either way though. I've had mine for 2 weeks now (1400 miles already :eek: ) but I love every second of it, best car I've ever owned, and I've had a few in my day.

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
urbanmonkeygod04 said:
There're several things you can do to lower your insurance rates when you get your car. First off, if you have multiple cars on your policy you get a discount. Then, if you can, find just a $100 piece of shit that doesn't even run, get it towed to your house, and say THAT is your daily driver, put PLPD on it, and then tell them that your Redline is "personal use only" and you DON'T use it to commute in, that'll take the rates down. There're defensive driver courses you can take, as well, that will knock about 15% off your rates. If you've got points on your license, tell your insurance company to list them under "accident" points rather than "ticket" points - speeding ticket points weigh more heavily on your rates over running into somebody. I got a 70 in a 55 ticket & an accident in my Vibe within 2 weeks of each other, and my insurance provider put the ticket's points under accident points & it knocked my insurance down about $50.

Best of luck getting your Redline either way though. I've had mine for 2 weeks now (1400 miles already :eek: ) but I love every second of it, best car I've ever owned, and I've had a few in my day.
I think that was the biggest thing working against her. There are two cars on the insurance--she's still on her parent's--and the other is a new Ford Ranger. Plus she's a full time nanny, and commutes with children in the car. Wasn't much she can do to get around that.

I will, however, call her @ this moment and mention the clunker bit. Her Cavalier, though well maintained, has about 120k miles on it. I think the Saturn dealership is giving her $1,000 for it just to be nice :rolleyes: . Might be worth it to keep the Cav @ home and in the drive, if only to make the QC OR RL the "pleasure" car.

Good points!

--Jon

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Smurf said:
my insurance on my Red Line is actually cheaper than it was on my 01 SC2
:confused: WTF is Progressive doing, then? I'm going to have to get her to call in the morning to confirm again.

Seems like something's screwy, but I heard the agent on the speaker phone!

Might have a RL convert yet...

·
Registered
190 Posts
Have any of you guys tried American Family? I've went through Progressive and other like that and they wanted to charge me nearly $100 more a month than what I'm paying now. Right now I pay $1900 a year with my RL and my 1992 Eclipse. Just to let you know my driving record is FAR from good. Another thing to consider is the fact that Iowa is in the top 5 most expensive states for car insurance. I guess what I'm sayin' is taht I highly suggest that everyone atleast try American Family because they are by far hands down the best, for me anyway. Just my 2 cents! :D

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
She picked up the new car today...couldn't talk her into the RL, as she did contact her insurance and it was a big jump to it.

But still looks nice!! (And I have to teach her how to use a camera correctly ;) )

Now I gotta get my RL to show her up :rolleyes:

Attachments

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
Looks tight!

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
I've seen a LOT of Ion Quad Coupes lately... anyone else?

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It's actually the opposite in Pittsburgh, I think. Have seen a LOT of sedans, but few Coupes, and I've only seen two RLs...and one of them is on my campus, owened by brk_05 on this board.

So the RLs are rare around here, unlike SRT-4s. I see them everywhere...hence, can't wait to get my paws on an RL.

Just need a job :(

·
Registered
764 Posts
SLSDuke, have you taken a RL for a test drive yet? If you are looking for a good place to go for a test drive, you should go out to Saturn of Pleasant Hills on 51. The roads they took me on out there gave you a good feel for the car. A couple of nice windy areas.

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
brk_05 said:
SLSDuke, have you taken a RL for a test drive yet? If you are looking for a good place to go for a test drive, you should go out to Saturn of Pleasant Hills on 51. The roads they took me on out there gave you a good feel for the car. A couple of nice windy areas.
I haven't driven one yet, though when I went up to Saturn of Wexford w/ the girlfriend last Saturday, the dealer--who really wanted to make the sale to my better half--gave me the keys to an '04 and let me putz and listen to the engine rev. Which I did. For twenty minutes. Rev--supercharger whine, exhaust blatttt--rev, rev. :D

I figure I'll take one for a spin after I secure a job and can actually think about buying one ;) I'm not going to get the dealer's hopes up just to say, well...yeah, I want one, but not for a few months. But thanks for the drive!

BTW, we were on campus on Sat--she was test driving a white Ion QC. We saw you coming down past the union, and I pointed and said, "There!! THAT'S the one you want!"

But, alas, Allstate was screwing her over.

I'll still get in contact w/ you about taking a peek at yours. Busy times, trying to get my ass out of here.

--Jon

·
Registered
764 Posts
They were pretty cool with me when I went to test drive one. I told them I wasnt looking to buy one till about a month or two in the future and still let me take out an '05. The salesman I went out with was really cool. I was taking it easy and he told me to wind it out.

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
brk_05 said:
They were pretty cool with me when I went to test drive one. I told them I wasnt looking to buy one till about a month or two in the future and still let me take out an '05. The salesman I went out with was really cool. I was taking it easy and he told me to wind it out.
I'll keep that in mind. My 'rents are in Pleasant Hills, and I'll be home in about 2.5 weeks for the stretch between graduating and finding a job. So I'll pop in and mention, "I just passed the Dodge dealer down there, and saw the SRT-4...what do YOU have to offer?"

Haha...kidding. I think it's going to be: 1) Get job 2) Drive to one of the dealers around Pittsburgh 3) Buy an RL.

--Jon

·
Registered
22 Posts
I was actually quite suprised when I traded in my ecotec VUE for my RL VUE, I expected my insurance to go up considerably, but it ended up only bieng $30.00 more for the entire 6 months. I am with Geico by the way.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts