Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to decide on either polyurethane motor mounts, or Goofy Guy's braces... My friend recently put poly motor mounts in his Spec V. I like the instantaneous transfer of power from the motor to the wheels, but the vibration, I could do without. So my question is, without sacrificing performance and overall effectivness for ride quality, could I install the braces, rather than the motor mounts. And anyone who has had any experiences, positive or negative, please post them here. It will be a big help in building my Street ready Ion, thanks. ;)

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
Poly mounts will help, but the brace is GREAT. Also, try to redo motor mounts in 20 min... :D

I'd go with the mounts, to my knowledge, there's no one that makes poly mounts for the car. If you find some PLEASE let us know, others will be interested, I'm sure. I'd but the brace though! In fact, I did buy the brace. Zero noise, Zero change in ride, other than the smoothness... the shifts are alot better without the engine flopping all over the place!

·
Registered
8,327 Posts
since no one, to my knowledge either, makes the motor mounts i would highly recomend the GG Tq brace .................... the only 2 things i can say is holy shit and new tires (if you like to smoke 'em alot :) )

·
Registered
5,202 Posts
The brace does the same thing you would be trying to accomplish without sacrificing the ride quality.

·
Premium Member
3,231 Posts
thanks. I enjoy the brace because it does not affect overall quality of ride and there is no extra noise. As for the mounts they will make a differnce but I know people who have them on other cars that still get hop.

·
Registered
3,708 Posts
I have home made poly on mine, and my next project is replacing with oem mounts, and getting a GG brace.

If you are going for FULL race, which I know you aren't, then go with the poly, but, you're not, so go with the brace. Poly mounts cause a lot of vibration to transfer to your car, your steering wheel, etc., making the car feel sloppy, and harsh, whereas not having that vibration makes the car feel more classy, like the power is going to the road, and not to your arms and butt.

That's where BHP came from. Right now my car is making 20 BHP. Heheh... horses in my butt...

Anyways, go with the brace, as you will be more pleased with that than the mounts. I ga-ron-tee!

I'm serious about this, and I only have TWO poly mounts!!!

Goofyguy brace info.

© Copyright 2005, Goofyguy enterprises c/o yrethguad bros. and co. inc. LLC
No tax, tag, or title included, no money-back guarantee, all sales are final, void where prohibited, not available in all areas, see stores for details, not valid with any other offer, employees and affiliates of yrethguad bros. and co. inc. LLC, and any parent companies or subsidiaries are not eligible to participate in any and all contests, functions, or discounts covered herein, do ordain, etc. etc. Unless, for the 2004 tax year said employee or affiliate used form 1040a, in which case the total gross and net wages will be added together as one number, and rounded up to the nearest ten dollars. If it is an odd number, then said employee or affiliate is eligible for any and all contests, functions, or discounts as covered in this documentation. No warranties are expressed or implied. All goods and services are AS IS, and no consideration is made for safety concerns, as it is the policy of yrethguad bros. and co. inc. LLC that individuals are responsible for their own actions, and reactions, as stated under Newton's federal law. The term "brace" and "torque" will be defined as such, in that "bracing" will be known as "holding" and "torque" will be defined as a "turning force" which can be further defined to male homosapiens as "when you wake up in the morning and have to pee, you're standing over the toilet, and it won't go down, so you aim it down, and your feet slide out from under you... that's the definition of torque" as taken from the concepts, incerpts, and mishaps of yrethguad Sr. Any recourse will be handled by an attorney appointed by yrethguad bros. and co. inc. LLC. Likewise, any "bitching" about this page taking too long to load due to too many pictures will be taken care of in a manner coherant with the bi-laws of yrethguad bros. and co. inc. LLC including, but not limited to, removal of knee caps via blunt force, do ordain again, and etc. etc.

·
Registered
3,708 Posts
The GG brace does it smarter too. Think about it. In most cases your mounts are low, so making your mounts hold on harder isn't going to work as effective as putting a brace for the top of the motor. Think about leverage. Also, the brace doesn't influence 100%, 100% of the time ( <-- not a mis-type), thus, the noise and vibration (which is noise, I know) only transfers when you are "hopping", or between shifts, so you don't notice it anyway. The poly grabs 100%, 100% of the time. You get the idea.

Too bad GM didn't give EVERY car dogbones. Factory torque braces.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
Liljon said:
Well I'm pretty much sold. Do the TQ braces help alot with the slam from the engine tourquing?

Very much so....

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Liljon said:
I'm trying to decide on either polyurethane motor mounts, or Goofy Guy's braces... My friend recently put poly motor mounts in his Spec V. I like the instantaneous transfer of power from the motor to the wheels, but the vibration, I could do without. So my question is, without sacrificing performance and overall effectivness for ride quality, could I install the braces, rather than the motor mounts. And anyone who has had any experiences, positive or negative, please post them here. It will be a big help in building my Street ready Ion, thanks. ;)
Here's pics of my mounts. #1 is of the stock mount with a self made and machined polyurethane insert replacing the factory squishy rubber. #2 is of the rear trans mount that has the gaps of the factory squishy rubber filled in with fast-cure urethane (3M windshield sealer goop, $12.50 a tube). I have had them installed in the car for over 2 weeks now. There is vibration when starting the car and when iddling that is pretty heavy. Going down the road, however, I sense no difference than the factory mounts. I still get wheel hop, but no nearly as severe. (This is, of course, IF I went to the dragstrip, which I didn't :rolleyes: ) and IF I were to go autocrossing - which I don't :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: , I whould have experienced absolutely NO wheel hop on the start or coming out of turns and hammering it. In fact, rumor has it that a blue Ion RL was to get the smokey burnout award for torquey lil 4 banger lighting up the tires and putting down strips of 75 - 150' of rubber on last week's straights. No hop, just spin. (LSD needed muy mala). (pic#4)
#3 is a pic of Pro Thane's mounts for the newer Cavalier & Sunfires. The insert looks I dentical to ours. If it is 3.5" in DIA, it will fit the Red Line & Cobalt SS. I have decided to drill the 6 holes in mine to see if the vibration lessend any. I am also going to install the factory squishy rubber insert back into the lower front mount (I have filled it with fast-cure urethane also) to see if it makes less vibration than the red poly insert.

Mine is not a daily driver, so I can live with the little bit of vibration. I like the positive way the shifts feel and the better traction.(or lack of it - smokin') ANd I did order the GG brace also. And I'm looking into having trailing arms with heim joints installed from the front frame to the lower arms to limit the travel that causes wheel hop.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,231 Posts
If you have my brace then the trailing arm setup will be a waste of weight you will see. As for those who still havent signed up in the Torque Brace Blow Out thread you still can.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.