Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
You ever look at the TB on our cars they look freaking sweet....i wouldn't touch it. Just wait until someone come out with a bigger one. The only thing i am going to port when i get time is the factory crap header.

·
Banned
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
yeah that header sux. a friend of mine helped me we used a dremel. and ill tellu what there is a difference (mine u i have a cai too) i smoothed out that hump on the
bottom and damn i was going 30 in fif and i pushed on the gas instant throttle response, throws u back and all unlike before.........

·
Premium Member
3,231 Posts
does nobody understand forced induction of a supercharger. The m62 or any roots style will take in x amount of cfm per rpm regarless of restricions on the intake side. The throttle body can out flow the super charger 1.5x in simple cfm comparisions. Porting will not help sorry just like an intake. Sorry I will stand my ground on this one. As many arguments come over this I wont budge. Only on a NA motor will things like this help becuase the motor has no help on pulling in air where the supercharger will pull in exaclty what it wants and not a cfm extra because of a filter or a bigger throttle body.

·
Premium Member
3,231 Posts
Low rpms will gain you becuase its the bypass is open. I repeat though you are not making any extra HP on top though. And from a drag you still have no extra power. You will lose anything you gained as soon as you hit 50% throttle. Its fluid dynamics. The only true way to gain power is in the cams, head, and exhaust side. Sorry hate to bring bad news but its the truth. Where in the hell is Sp00ner on this one.

·
Banned
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yet again i never said i was going for gains and i have a modified bypass valve that lets me get the 12 psi earlier !

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
goofyguy said:
does nobody understand forced induction of a supercharger. The m62 or any roots style will take in x amount of cfm per rpm regarless of restricions on the intake side. The throttle body can out flow the super charger 1.5x in simple cfm comparisions. Porting will not help sorry just like an intake. Sorry I will stand my ground on this one. As many arguments come over this I wont budge. Only on a NA motor will things like this help becuase the motor has no help on pulling in air where the supercharger will pull in exaclty what it wants and not a cfm extra because of a filter or a bigger throttle body.
please explain this better to me. For instance if I turned my intake tube into 1 inch piping it would still not matter? I am confused here please elaborate more.

·
Registered
291 Posts
kazkillinger said:
thank you i thought all hope was lost on this thread
could you compare this to blowing through a straw and a bigger straw isn't it easier to blow through a bigger straw. would the supercharger not have to work as hard to push air into the engine which should show some performance gains. am i wrong for thinking like this

·
Registered
70 Posts
The flow rate of the air into and out of the supercharger will be the same (actually it will be very slightly different, but we'll just pretend here) regardless of how easy it is to suck the air in, because of the nature of a super charger. The difference will be how much force has to be exerted to make that air flow. What this translates to is not so much making more horse power, but freeing up horsepower that was previously used to turn the supercharge, which would be made easier with a free-er flowing intake. I'm sorry, but physics will tell you that the easier it is to pull the air into the supercharger, the less power it takes to turn the supercharger, the more power you're going to see to the ground.

·
Registered
367 Posts
i'd have to side with 05, the motor itself is just a large glofied air pump, just like a supercharger, most vehicles can get as much air as they "need" or "want" in terms of displacement, an exception i can think of is a 5.0 mustang with extremley restrictive heads, and large displacement, so it generates lots of low down torque potential but it limited on the top end due to limited airflow, however freeing up more "flow" allows it to be easier for it to suck air in, a larger intake pipe/freer filter alow the supercharger to "suck" air in easier, a larger outlet pipe and intake manifold allow the air to "flow" easier to the cylinder, in much the same way a larger exhause makes it "easier" for air to flow to the rear of the car, with a restrictive exhaust the cylinders will still expell 95% of their volume regardless, with larger exhaust it just gets easier (and a bonus of scavenging depending on cam and exhaust size and diameter. Anyways, easier (AND EFFICIENT) flow generally means more power.

On a side note... yea supercharged apps give different kinds of gains on different parts then N/A apps, but all parts should give a power increase.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
I'm here goofy!

Here's what he's saying...

On a normal engine, you have to rely on the suction that the engine creates inside of it, combined with the physics of the the tubing in front of the cyl's, the get the best possible air charge into the cyl's. VERY simple explanation, and I'm part doped up on Dayquil here...

Add the supercharger. Now, everything between the supercharger and the cyl's can be designed by a blind woodsman, and still have a ton more air than the engine can use waiting on it. In front of the supercharger, you have a similar situation. It's creating a ton of negative pressure inside of it. Now it's one thing if you have a HORRIBLE throttle body. It would have to be REAL bad, to be able to port it and see any effect at full throttle. Seeing as how its part of the supercharger, my guess is they've flow tested it and found that a blind woodsman did not build it.

There are limited gains on the intake side of a super/turbo charged engine. The best way to increase power on a forced induction engine, from the intake side of things, is to apply positive pressure on the intake stream. Which is why I bought a CAI, and have been very interested in some way to open up to front of the car, and pipe air right to the intake.

In conclusion, mods in front of the supercharger are limited. Unless there is a terrible constriction, there's not alot to be gained at full throttle. Now part throttle, where the supercharger is not working hard, you can get some gains and a nice increase in response, etc.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
Sp00ner said:
I'm here goofy!

Which is why I bought a CAI, and have been very interested in some way to open up to front of the car, and pipe air right to the intake.
you can take off the whole front grill as one piece and route some tubing up to the fender from the drivers side air intake (blocked stock). if you were to make some sort of box to surround the filter and route the air into it from there, you'd have a "ram air" effect

·
Banned
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
its not about fucken power its about response at 1300 rpms while cruisn so i dont have to shift as much cause when ur getting head or what have u need to shift as little as possible :)
oh and fyi u can run a cai through the right of the bumper near the radiator (not touching of course) on the drivers side i have always had mine like thay

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
kazkillinger said:
its not about fucken power its about response at 1300 rpms while cruisn so i dont have to shift as much cause when ur getting head or what have u need to shift as little as possible :)
oh and fyi u can run a cai through the front near the radiator (not touching of course) on the drivers side i have always had mine like that
*blink* *blink*

·
Registered
493 Posts
kazkillinger said:
oh and fyi u can run a cai through the right of the bumper near the radiator (not touching of course) on the drivers side i have always had mine like thay
Now thats priceless. Btw, not if i get to her first! :p :D

1 - 20 of 37 Posts