Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Possible new header for the redlines

Well, this is how is goes.

One of my buddies in the area ordered a header for a Redline. After many monthes of waiting, the fugga finally got to him....And he was not happy. Well, he brought it out to one of the local Tamp/St. Pete weekly meets (still in the box, never installed) to show use.

Well upon inspection intial inspection, I noticed it was stainless steel...and one of the ugliest stainless peices I have ever seen. It would have been nice if the fugga was at least galss beaded or something after it was welded...it looks like a old tarneshed silver piece.

Well,the nxt thing I noticed was the terrible design... I mean, who the heck in there right mind designs a header that has 2 primaries dump into the collector/ exhuast stream at almost a perpendicular angle ( closer to a 75, but its still obserd).

Then I noticed the craptastic roughness on the inside of the head by both flanges and in the primary tubes.... do from a die grinder (didn't finish with sanding drums) and what appears to be weld splatter in the primaries.

Lastly, I noticed flanges. Tomy standards, they are very thin.

So, it took me all of 20-30 seconds to be competely discussted with the header design... and I asked my friend if I could take it for a week or 2 so that I can make a template of the flange locations and then proceed to make a proper header...and he agreed. SO today, I will be making the template, and within the next month, enough funds should be acrued to buy flanges and mandrel bend exhuast tubing.

After its done, I would LIKE to get some dyno number compare... stock, the crapy looking one, and the one I spit out. So look forward to some news in 3-4 weeks on the progress or some finished pitures (if I can acquire a digi ).

-Sam Bretz

PS:
Oh, this is only like the second time I have been here to this forum, If you want to get a hold of me for any reason, I have the same SN at turbosaturns.net and my SN at sixthsphere.com is TURRRBOOO .

At this time I have no idea of pricing, so don't ask me that. The way it looks now, is that I have to get at leat 5 head and 5 trianlge flanges made form the laser cutting place. If everthing works, I might make a couple dozen at the most, if it works the same as the the current header availible, then I will sell the units at MY COST + shipping...it can't get any cheaper then that.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
we love you man, make them with a 3" collector

·
Premium Member
3,231 Posts
dont use the scdyne as a template. Get a hold of Colin to get his stock manifold. The scdyne units are all differnt so dont use it to make any type of template for yours. I enjoyed mine I felt the power I mostly felt it after I took it off I was dissapointed I removed it.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
goofyguy said:
dont use the scdyne as a template. Get a hold of Colin to get his stock manifold. The scdyne units are all differnt so dont use it to make any type of template for yours. I enjoyed mine I felt the power I mostly felt it after I took it off I was dissapointed I removed it.
get pics of your exhaust yet?

·
Registered
524 Posts
Hell yeah, glad you are going to make us a header Sam. Just to fill you in guys same runs a turbo s-series Saturn. He's been around for a long time and is a moderator over at TSN. Plus a lot of the local FL Redline guys know him from STC...

Any estimate on price?

Tom

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Only estimate I can give will be somewhere in the 300-400 range. If I get some flanges laser cut, the minmun purchace is either 5 flanges or $125. Something like that.

I'm getting ahold of a stock until too, so compare it to the Un-named one I have here. I was contemplating on moveing the flange bck further and sending out another flange that will fit on the the stock pipe further bakc by the cat...that way it will be a loner tube header... I was thinking 3inch myself... be I need to get my head back in an engine bay an really see whats gonin on... I might get a 3in-to 2.5 inch reducer and send it out to adapt the 3in to the stock pipe.

One major priority to so send out a new o2 sensor bung ( possible welded to the reducer), that is placed in the path of ALL 4 runners.

Nothing is final right now. Every design option I have is completelyup in the air right now...and options will come to mind the more I look at it. I don't plan on using stainless though guys. I was planning on using some normal exhaust tubeing and then thermal coating it. The thermal coat helps keep some of the heat in for fast velocity, plus it is very very durable... I will be getting the 2400 degree shiznit. If you don't wasnt it coated, the price should be on the 300 side, coated will probably be on the 400 side.... But don't quote those numbers, They are just off the top of myhead rightnow. I haven't priced anything (Iknowthe coating price, thats about it), so I don't know.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok guys. Sorry its taken so long to get back. I have finally deside on a design. It look like I willbe making a long tube 4-2-1 header. This header will replace the middle "cat" section of pipe....since I need that room. The owner wil run an o2 sim to keep the b!tch happy on the pcm side. Looks like I wil be 1.75 inche primaries dumping into 2- 2.25 secondaries and drop into a 3' single pipe to run out the rear. With flanged adtapter to mate the header to the stock exhaust till he can afford to finish it off to full 3inch. At that time, the adapter will unbolt and the rest of the exhaut will flnage up to the full 3'pipe.

Now, I just need to set up a day with riz so I cn make a template of the cat section.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
if they look real nice we all will be very interested im sure keep us updated . there are a few coming shortly but nothing that will be a "race header" these will all retain the cat and probably use smaller primaries i.e dc sports weapon r etc... thanks

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
S.Bretz said:
Ok guys. Sorry its taken so long to get back. I have finally deside on a design. It look like I willbe making a long tube 4-2-1 header. This header will replace the middle "cat" section of pipe....since I need that room. The owner wil run an o2 sim to keep the b!tch happy on the pcm side. Looks like I wil be 1.75 inche primaries dumping into 2- 2.25 secondaries and drop into a 3' single pipe to run out the rear. With flanged adtapter to mate the header to the stock exhaust till he can afford to finish it off to full 3inch. At that time, the adapter will unbolt and the rest of the exhaut will flnage up to the full 3'pipe. Now, I just need to set up a day with riz so I cn make a template of the cat section.
Great News Mr Bretz. Is someone on here providing the "mule"?
So you are eliminating the cat completely then? If so then I hope you know you will also be eliminating a large group of owners that absolutley MUST keep the cat for emission testing purposes. By an O2 sim you mean just for the post cat O2 correct?
I presume the pre cat O2 bung will be all the way down at the 3" section then? Will we also need some sort of wiring extention to deal with that? Don't get me wrong, personally i've been waiting for a full length header for the LSJ (no testing where I live) and I hate cats (dog person)

Regards
WopOnTour

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Good work, keep us up to date when you get it made and let us know a price when you get it. I am interested in your product.

·
Registered
710 Posts
this is pissin me off, i live in missouri and i've been googling for about 30-45 mins and i cant find the law about emissions. anyone have a clue as to where i can find out without leaving my computer chair?

·
Registered
754 Posts
Redline686 said:
this is pissin me off, i live in missouri and i've been googling for about 30-45 mins and i cant find the law about emissions. anyone have a clue as to where i can find out without leaving my computer chair?

You need all the emissions that you have on your car believe me it is not worth it to remove any especially the cat.Mo is pretty strict and you living in the county you have to have emissions testing.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have deside to only make a limited number of these things.Taking orders once every monthe or so won't pay the bills, so I will have a job along with 12-15 credit hours of school.

If you can get way without haveing to past emisson, then you don't have to worry. Basicly, by puttina cat in, i would have to change alot of things back around and you would be left with a peice that resemble the SC Crime header but with a better merge and an o2 the reads from all cylinders.

The current plain for the first o2 is still up in the air. I will have to see how much wire is available. If there is enough, I will try to in corpate it closer to the head (kinda like the placement of the 91-92 s-series factoryheader). If I have to extend it and put in in the 3 inche piece, then yes, a wire extension will be needed as well a heated o2 (not sure if the orginal is heated).

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
well we dont have inspections here so im down if i dont go turbo first though

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
if you make a longtube, i got dibs on one if it goes 3"

screw emissions, it's a brand new car and we dont' have to have it scanned for 2 years around here...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It is almost always better to stick to a 4-2-1 unless you are trying to make power at 8k plus. For a system that demands you shift no higher then 6500-7000, a proper 4-2-1 design is almost always better.

·
Premium Member
3,231 Posts
Im in and Im local. I live near the Smiths in Springhill so if you need some install time Im in.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well, its time for an update.Been busy with work, school, and the girlfriend, and the person that wanted this (linefire)had at one point decided to put a turbo on the car. that has changed and we are back to the 4-2-1 haeder. this will be the only one made... At least for the next 2 or so years. I don't remember the lengths I was going to make the primaries and secondaries so I'll have to find that blue print If you want specifics. If I recall correctly, it is to have 28 in primaries And 14-16 in Secondaries . Today I started (finally) this project. I thought some might like to see where its going. Here is a sneak peak.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts