Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.gm.com/company/gmtunersource/html/home.htm

there are talks of some comming out for the Cobalt SS S/C...so its just a matter of time before they are applied to the redline.

rumored stage 2 upgrade giving you 270bhp? pretty dang nice...and i assume that is w/o the higher octane gas. next summer, things will be pretty damn hot with all these domestic 4 bangers blowing the hell out of all the honda kiddies...i cant wait :D :D :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,327 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,012 Posts
Where are you getting this information from becuase I don't see it on the GM tuner site? There was a concept Cobalt built with a supposed 270 hp. If gm wants to compete they need to come out with staged kits.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,327 Posts
who you talking to matt??
 

·
Superd00d
Joined
·
22,040 Posts
There has been parts existing to upgrade the cars right now. From GM. They're just not releasing it. I found the part numbers months ago in the SCCA rulebook. You can look it up even, it's the detailed classification of the cars. In all honesty, it's rumors.

Either way, GM has all the parts developed for you to bolt on and turn either the Redline or Cobalt into a monster... they just aren't buying them in mass quantities to sell... Otherwise I'd go right down the list for the Cobalt Grand Am Cup car and buy the items one by one.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,327 Posts
o k
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,327 Posts
so that link to gm tuner page for the stock to 250 and 250 to 2+ all that can be done to the RL too? Spooner?
 

·
Superd00d
Joined
·
22,040 Posts
Yup... as far as I can tell... the build that you're looking at there though, is NOT using the 2.0 that's in the Redline. It's for the larger one... so you have to keep that in mind. For instance, it says to use the rods and pistons from the LSJ motor... which IS our motor...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,327 Posts
okk .... well damn man uve just been right on it today i barely get shit out and ur like bam right there. u bored? lol i know i am i havent got one call at this help desk and ive been here 7 almost 8 months. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
84 Posts
Keebler said:
http://www.gm.com/company/gmtunersource/html/home.htm

there are talks of some comming out for the Cobalt SS S/C...so its just a matter of time before they are applied to the redline.

rumored stage 2 upgrade giving you 270bhp? pretty dang nice...and i assume that is w/o the higher octane gas. next summer, things will be pretty damn hot with all these domestic 4 bangers blowing the hell out of all the honda kiddies...i cant wait :D :D :D
I hope they do it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i just copied it from the cobaltss.net forums..my bad..i never really looked at the site. just figured they had something they werent sharing with you fellow delta platformers :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,041 Posts
Sp00ner said:
Yup... as far as I can tell... the build that you're looking at there though, is NOT using the 2.0 that's in the Redline. It's for the larger one... so you have to keep that in mind. For instance, it says to use the rods and pistons from the LSJ motor... which IS our motor...
Isn't our engine made a 2.0 by using the different pistons? The engine size is measured by how much volume all of the pistons consume by traveling from Top Dead Center to Bottom Dead Center, correct?

If this thinking is correct, then people with the 2.2L's can buy our pistons and rods to make the pistons travel the shorter distance in each cycle, making their engine a 2.0L. Then the rest of the parts that the performance build book uses is technically for a 2.0L, which we can safely use.

I am hoping that I'm correct in what I just said...otherwise I probably looked like an idiot just now...correct me if I'm wrong up there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,233 Posts
jpapa said:
Isn't our engine made a 2.0 by using the different pistons? The engine size is measured by how much volume all of the pistons consume by traveling from Top Dead Center to Bottom Dead Center, correct?

If this thinking is correct, then people with the 2.2L's can buy our pistons and rods to make the pistons travel the shorter distance in each cycle, making their engine a 2.0L. Then the rest of the parts that the performance build book uses is technically for a 2.0L, which we can safely use.

I am hoping that I'm correct in what I just said...otherwise I probably looked like an idiot just now...correct me if I'm wrong up there.
Not an idiot, just a little misguided is all
While it's true that a smaller piston will result in a lower displacement, the bore size is identical between the 2.2 L61 ECOTEC and the 2.0 LSJ. It's the stroke that's different. The crankshaft used on the LSJ is a shorter "throw" on the crankpins, resulting in decreased swept volume, hence less displacement Use the formula for the volume of a cylinder x # of cylinders

Below is a comparison of Bore/Stroke in Ecotec Engines and some potential "Stroker" combinations

LSJ -1998.22cc
Bore-=86mm
Stroke = 86mm
R/S ratio = 1.73901:1

L61 – 2198.05cc
ccBore-=86mm
Stroke = 94.6mm
R/S ratio = 1.58092:1

LE5- 2384.19cc
Bore-=88mm
Stroke = 98mm
R/S ratio = 1.52607:1

Stroker 1 (LE5 Block with LSJ Crank) -2092.25cc
Bore-=88mm
Stroke = 86mm
R/S ratio = 1.73901:1

Stroker 2 (L61/LSJ Block with LE5 Crank) -2277.05cc
Bore-=86mm
Stroke = 98mm
R/S ratio = 1.52607:1

Stroker 3 (LE5 Block with L61 Crank) -2301.47cc
Bore-=88mm
Stroke = 94.6mm
R/S ratio = 1.58092:1
HTH
WopOnTour
 

·
Superd00d
Joined
·
22,040 Posts
The opposite procedure of building a 'Stroked' V8... the take a 400 crank for example, and drop it into a 350 block, with some new rods and pistons, and it makes it a 383... NICE upgrade right there...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
541 Posts
Sp00ner said:
The opposite procedure of building a 'Stroked' V8... the take a 400 crank for example, and drop it into a 350 block, with some new rods and pistons, and it makes it a 383... NICE upgrade right there...

Yeah, but what you're not mentioning is the hassel it is for someone to grind the lower edges of the cylinders on the 350 so the rod doesn't smack them. And how anytime you stroke, you have to get a machine shop to balance to whole rotating assembly. Not hard by any means, but you have to make damn sure that the guy knows what the hell he's doing, or it will tear itself apart!!
 

·
Superd00d
Joined
·
22,040 Posts
rip_vw32 said:
Yeah, but what you're not mentioning is the hassel it is for someone to grind the lower edges of the cylinders on the 350 so the rod doesn't smack them. And how anytime you stroke, you have to get a machine shop to balance to whole rotating assembly. Not hard by any means, but you have to make damn sure that the guy knows what the hell he's doing, or it will tear itself apart!!
I figured copy and pasting the whole teardown and assembly would be a bit much! ;)

Loose a few hundred RPMs while you're at it as well, no?
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top