Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was messing around with my fog lamp switch and I think I unintentionally zapped something in my BCM. My fog lamp switch still works, and when the auto headlights come on at night, my instrument lights are on and the dimmer switch works. But... when I turn the headlights on manually during the day, my interior lights do NOT come on.

The question is...

During DAYLIGHT while the car is running, if you manually turn your headlights on, do your instrument lights (gauge cluster, HVAC panel, fog lamp switch illumination, etc) turn on?

·
Registered
2,967 Posts
I'm guessing you don't have a redline since mine does not have automatic lights (unless that was a 2007 feature). My cluster lights do turn on during the day when I turn on my lights. I end up having to turn the dimmer all the way up to read the radio.

·
Registered
9,397 Posts
what happened when you tried it at night?!

if you tried manual headlights at night and the instrument panel lights come on and you try it during the day and they don't, then i would guess that's how it's supposed to work. you can then try it in the daytime with something to block the light over the sensor to really confirm.

if you tried manual headlights at night and the instrument panel lights DON'T come on, then you have some issue with the manual headlight circuit.

you can't just assume when doing electrical diagnostics. you have to systematically check every single part of the system until you come to the right answer. it becomes much harder for me to help because i'm not there to run the tests myself, so it helps if you can give as much info as you can whether you think it's relevant or not.

i wouldn't ask if i didn't feel like i needed that info to help you.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Night - Auto Lights Switched ON - Interior Lights ON (GOOD)

Night - Auto Lights Switched OFF, Headlights manually turned on - Interior Lights ON (GOOD)

Day - Auto Lights Switched ON, Headlights manually turned on - Interior Lights OFF (bad)

Day - Auto Lights Switched OFF, Headlights manually turned on - Exterior lights ON, Interior Lights OFF (bad)

Night time, flashlight shining at sensor to simulate daylight, Headlights manually turned on - exterior lights ON, interior lights OFF (bad)

It looks like the daylight sensor sensing light is kicking the interior lights off. The problem is, I'm pretty sure it's not supposed to do that, but I can't 100% remember what it did before I started screwing around. That's why I need someone with the automatic headlights to step outside during the day, start their car, turn on the headlights manually, and let me know if their gauge cluster is lit or not. I figured the Redline would come standard with the auto lights since it was like a top of the line type deal.

·
Registered
2,967 Posts
They dropped a lot those "nice" electronic things. We also don't have the compass temp mirror available as an option.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Update: Definitely zapped the BCM. Someone over in ionforums confirmed that with the headlights manually turned on during the day, the interior lights should be on.

Interestingly, if I disconnect the dimmer switch for the interior lights, they come on - and then the radio display starts flickering.

When I reconnect the dimmer, the interior lights quickly dim then go out. The dimmer is, however, functional at night.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
1 - 17 of 17 Posts