Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

41 - 60 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Thank you for the quote for the part! I've been finding 175+ for that motor

What is a core charge anyway?
It ended up costing over $100 to get the part shipped to your house, then once you have your old part out (the "core"), you email them for a return request, they email you a label to put on the box for shipping, and you ship the old part back to them. Then they refund you the "core charge" once they get the old part. It's a way for parts manufacturers to get parts so they can remanufacture them. Not sure if GM sends them back to Denso or not. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I got my letter in the mail today for the RECALL to fix my Ion power steering at NO CHARGE! This after petitioning the NHTSA and writting to my congressmen.

The letter says you may get reimbursement if you alreaddy fixed it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Got a letter today same as you, BUT!*@&%@&!*% problem is it has to have already failed.

So we have to wait till we crash? No I think we need to find a Federal Agency to force GM to fix these BEFORE they Fail. Anyone interested in starting a FB page to get this done? And we are talking now!!!!

·
I'm Awesome
3,899 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Got a letter today same as you, BUT!*@&%@&!*% problem is it has to have already failed.

So we have to wait till we crash? No I think we need to find a Federal Agency to force GM to fix these BEFORE they Fail. Anyone interested in starting a FB page to get this done? And we are talking now!!!!
Well, mine already failed, and failed, and failed again! I love that the letter says its safe to drive. Safe for me, yeah, at 6'2" and in decent shape. My 80 year old mother would be in a tree through.

I'll have to start doing arm excersises now that my Ion isn't going to be giving them a work out driving when the power sterring goes out.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I want to start by saying Thank you for everyones help in this forum. It sure has saved me a lot of headaches and frustration so far.

That said, I called GM and they could not find a recall for my vehicle yet. :( So, should I contact NHTSA and my congressmen as well? The power steering just failed yesterday and unfortunately, it is not the fuse.

Joe

·
Registered
1 Posts
fixxed

great post..thanks for the info. My steering was off and on for the past year especially during the hot months-worked ok in the cold. It started going out when it warmed up again. Found this thread - did what it said. works great. thanks alot......FYI - did find just the motors on eBAY for $85...if any one needs one...and your willing to take that chance.

·
I'm Awesome
3,899 Posts
great post..thanks for the info. My steering was off and on for the past year especially during the hot months-worked ok in the cold. It started going out when it warmed up again. Found this thread - did what it said. works great. thanks alot......FYI - did find just the motors on eBAY for $85...if any one needs one...and your willing to take that chance.
Take it to your local Chevy dealership that fixes Saturns...our cars have an extended warranty on the power steering motors. They replace it for free.

·
Registered
948 Posts
I'm overseas, I can't bring my car into a dealership...

Is the problem solely based in the power steering motor or is there faulty "module" somewhere?

This is the correct motor of what? Based on the PN you had on your replacement...

GM Parts Direct: Your direct source for Genuine GM Parts

·
Registered
948 Posts
Changed motor....got better but still not 100%. Still have the steering issue.

Is the actual motor the issue or is there something else playing a factor in this failure. I have no Chevy dealers that will touch this car in Europe. I just need the part, I can fix it if its something else.

Called the GM reps of America...they're all about refunding me the cost of the repair but I just need to know the repair, no one will even do it out here for them to refund it. Just give me the part and let me go....don't really have many options.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I know this in an old thread but I just did as afaltersack instructed and my steering has been good for about three weeks now. Many thanks for the advise!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Bump

Thanks for the write up on how to do this.

I had this done at the dealer two years and 7K miles ago. It's acting up again and the dealer indicates it's not covered. Don't know of anyone else has had this problem. Not much of a fix if it only lasts 2 years.

The power steering assist module is $50 delivered from Rock Auto. Looks like I'll be changing that out myself this weekend. At least that part has a 3yr-36,000 mile warranty as opposed to the GM-1yr-12,000 mile warranty.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Bump

Thanks for the write up on how to do this.

I had this done at the dealer two years and 7K miles ago. It's acting up again and the dealer indicates it's not covered. Don't know of anyone else has had this problem. Not much of a fix if it only lasts 2 years.

The power steering assist module is $50 delivered from Rock Auto. Looks like I'll be changing that out myself this weekend. At least that part has a 3yr-36,000 mile warranty as opposed to the GM-1yr-12,000 mile warranty.
MB91,
Is this the part you got at Rock Auto? Did it solve your issue? I am starting to have this issue on my 2005 Ion 1 with 152k miles.
A-1 CARDONE 1C18010M {#19257136, 19257875, 19257876, 20763801, 20930092, 20995579} Reman. Power Steering Assist Motor Module

41 - 60 of 61 Posts