Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok. I already know, from reading on the Redlines, Ecotec Motors, etc to know that everything says how the shifter was "taken" from SAAB and how the motor is shared, but this is funny:

....Click here: Powered by SAAB!!

Now I gotta get my sticker shop to print me up a Powered by SAAB sticker for my back window!! :D

I remember last year at the LA Auto Show, looking at a Pontiac Vibe and pointing out to people that printed on the Throttle body/MAF it said "TOYOTA". That was classic.

However, considering this in under the car, might be kinda hard.

Is SAAB something to brag about?? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
244 Posts
You think that's funny. Look inside the engine bay of the new Relay on top of the radiator. "Mitsubishi" :D

·
Registered
4,556 Posts
lol the toyota cavalier only comes in 2.4 and auto, nicer lights and it has a carpteed upper trunk lid, as well as electronic moveable mirrors

keith-

neat car, they fetch a pretty penny in the us

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
SilverRedLine04 said:
lol the toyota cavalier only comes in 2.4 and auto, nicer lights and it has a carpteed upper trunk lid, as well as electronic moveable mirrors

keith-

neat car, they fetch a pretty penny in the us

Apparently they attract retarded foreigners overseas, too.

I'd get one for the right hand drive, just to freak people out :D

·
Registered
8,188 Posts
Check out the Viggen..that was a heck of a Saab.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Yeah, it's funny what all is mixed up these days. Guy around here has a Lotus Elise with a Honda motor in it, and the other guy has one with a Toyota motor in it. The Honda powered car was bought when there was one guy bringing the Elise in and the only way was with the Honda motor. Now they come factory with the Toyota.

The Saab on the motor id funny, as guy I run with here has a Saab, but on his motor you will fing Subaru markings, as it is the WRX motor...

And another Saturn thing. I love it when driving a Vue and I get on it and here that Honda Power Vtec kick in...

·
Registered
610 Posts
Kirtsky said:
Yeah, it's funny what all is mixed up these days. Guy around here has a Lotus Elise with a Honda motor in it, and the other guy has one with a Toyota motor in it. ...
I read somewhere that Lotus designed the Ecotec. Didn't they get the right to put it in thier own car? Speaking of SAAB power, I had one with a Ford V-4. Their original in-line 4 was developed and built by the British (and shared with the TR7).

·
Registered
149 Posts
The Vauxhall VX220 is built by Lotus and is based on the Elise. It has a 2.2 Ecotec engine, and is very similar (if not identical) to the Opel Speedster, with the exception of features. The Vauxhall seems to be more of a "luxury speedster" than the Elise. Opel being a sub-brand of GM, it's not too much of a stretch to see the Ecotec being influenced by Lotus

BTW...design cues for the Sky seem to come from the VX220.

Unsure if the chassis is shared, but if it is, the Sky is going to turn heads in more ways than one.

·
Registered
68 Posts
GuidoTSi said:
The Vauxhall VX220 is built by Lotus and is based on the Elise. It has a 2.2 Ecotec engine, and is very similar (if not identical) to the Opel Speedster, with the exception of features. The Vauxhall seems to be more of a "luxury speedster" than the Elise. Opel being a sub-brand of GM, it's not too much of a stretch to see the Ecotec being influenced by Lotus

BTW...design cues for the Sky seem to come from the VX220.

Unsure if the chassis is shared, but if it is, the Sky is going to turn heads in more ways than one.
Mostly correct, a few points:

The opel speedster and vx220 are indentical bar the badges and left vs right hand drive. The vx220 chassis is the same as the lotus elise s2 chassis.

The picture you have there is of an aftermarket body kit for the vx220. I've attached pictures of the standard model sans bodykit.

The saturn sky is based on the vx lightning concept (by vauxhall), which itself was based on the potiac solstice and shares the same chassis as that. The vx lightning looked like this:

Ta, Paul.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,713 Posts
it's so depressing when you look at the overseas versions of GM's cars (vauxhall for example), they have SUCH nice looking and nice performing cars, then here, blah :(

·
Registered
68 Posts
Freakazoid said:
it's so depressing when you look at the overseas versions of GM's cars (vauxhall for example), they have SUCH nice looking and nice performing cars, then here, blah :(
Its all through light-weight - lotus' founding principal. The vx220 weighs 2050lbs and has 200bhp...

Ta, Paul.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I thought it was common knowlege that the Ecotec came to GM with Saab. Saab actually got a little upset with GM when they made the LSJ with supercharger because it has better power charateristics (especially low end torque) than the 2.0t Ecotec used in the Saab 9-3. That is how the LSJ Ecotec ended up with it's conservative 205hp paper spec.

Also, originally Lotus played a part in the development of the Ecotec.

·
Registered
68 Posts
myoshizawa819 said:
I thought it was common knowlege that the Ecotec came to GM with Saab. Saab actually got a little upset with GM when they made the LSJ with supercharger because it has better power charateristics (especially low end torque) than the 2.0t Ecotec used in the Saab 9-3. That is how the LSJ Ecotec ended up with it's conservative 205hp paper spec.

Also, originally Lotus played a part in the development of the Ecotec.
I heard that originally the LSJ was a GM US project (based on the SAAB engine), but for some reason the project got shipped over to lotus in the end where it was called the LM850 for the rest of the developement and mapping... :confused:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts