Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Problem w/ Axles, Possibly

Got some bad news guys. I've owned my RL for about 11 Months now and every once in a while pulling down the driveway on reverse I would hear a small spring sound when pulling off the curb (right front tire area). I thought nothing of it until today. I was driving home from work and had to make a U-turn and heard a small grinding sound as if the tires are really low (tires are perfectly fine by the way). I am wondering if you all could do me the favor of driving in circles as if to test the CV's. I tried it and you have to slowly increase speed and you should hear it if you have the same problem. It doesn't to the noise all the time. I'm just wondering if the spring noise and the CV noise are linked. I'll be taking it to the dealer next week. Thanks all.

·
Registered
73 Posts
what it sounds like to me is it might be a hub and bearing. i would have to drive the car to know for sure. GM has had problems with their hubs. a way you can check it is to lift the front end. get a friend to help you. spin the tires up to about 40 mph or higher and place a stethescope on the knuckle and compare both sides.or take it to the dealer where you have a warranty

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Final Results after a while!

Saturn calls this one "Friendly Rubbing". My OEM rims and tires rub on the underbody sway bar. I've taken it in sofar about 4 times for it and the 4th time I had Saturn corporate on this one. They said it was the rack and pin or the power steering pulley. They changed the pully and I still have the same problem. The only upside to this whole thing is that they sent me a $50 dining card but this still doesn't fix my problem. :mad:

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
1 we don't have a power steering pully... it's electric assist steering.. 2 it is friendly rubbing.. nothing to worrie about just thir on really hard turns.. 3 a hub or bearing noise can be diagnoised from taking the car on a straight road and doing a swaying motiong back anf forth... the noise will sound louder when you sawy to the side the bearing is bad on and most of the cars weight is on that side... a bearing will not go bad or make a noise a slow speeds maxed out turning... plus a bearing is a pulsing noise that speeds up and slows down with the car.... duhhh.. so if he was getting it at slow speeds it wouldn't sound like a grind noise it would sound like a wobbling noise (i've actaully seend people use that to describe a noise before... wobble is an action not a noise... please make sure your service adviser knows this since it pisses me off when people tell them that)

ok rant over

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
SWCRedline said:
Power steering pulley? Dealership told you this?
Yep that is what they said. Also it was on the reciept that they give you when take the car in.

crazybrew609 said:
1 we don't have a power steering pully... it's electric assist steering.. 2 it is friendly rubbing.. nothing to worrie about just thir on really hard turns......
As far as a hub noise it does not exist. Really the noise can be heard when you are making about a gradual 60 degree turn onto the road (Finally making a 90 because no one actually makes a 90 degree turn) and also making the tire spin a bit. Reason why I spin tires is becuase it's all dirt there and I don't have a speed-up lane.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts