Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having an issue with my jack shaft, half shaft or whatever yall call it.... was driving my car pretty hard the other day, and while shifting into second, i heard a clunk then nothing. Speedo went up like the car was gaining speed but it wasnt moving.. at first I thought I messed my trans up upon investigation I looked at my passenger side axle while the car was running in gear and it just spins the half shaft nut not my passenger side axle.. now where the axle meets the half shaft there is a little play, and when spun by hand the axle spins but the half shaft stays until I pull out or push in on the axle then it catches the half shaft and spins it.. anybody know what this is? Is my half shaft gone or is it my axle was thinking maybe I wore the splines out like I said it's almost like its stripped out unless I push or pull then rotate.. almost like it's not in all the way maybe but idk what would cause that I'm at a loss trying to rack my mind around it

·
Super Moderator
1,358 Posts
Probably be best to raise the front of the car and have someone slowly spin the tire while looking from underneath

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Probably be best to raise the front of the car and have someone slowly spin the tire while looking from underneath
I've done that that's how I seen the jack shaft spinning but the axle wouldnt spin unless there was pressure on it

·
Super Moderator
1,358 Posts
Gotcha. Sorry I read it again and see what you're saying now.
If the spline wore out then you would need an axle and half shaft. There is a bearing in the half shaft also in the bracket. That could also be shot

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Gotcha. Sorry I read it again and see what you're saying now.
If the spline wore out then you would need an axle and half shaft. There is a bearing in the half shaft also in the bracket. That could also be shot
Found a half shaft finally. gonna pick it up this weekend along with an axle do you know of a place that sells the bearing I called O'rilies they said they could get them but he really couldn't even tell me what the bearing was for or what it even looked like

·
Super Moderator
1,358 Posts
Found a half shaft finally. gonna pick it up this weekend along with an axle do you know of a place that sells the bearing I called O'rilies they said they could get them but he really couldn't even tell me what the bearing was for or what it even looked like
I'll do some digging when i get off work. Theyre discontinued for the lsj but can still be had for an 04-07 saab 9-3 2.0

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll do some digging when i get off work. Theyre discontinued for the lsj but can still be had for an 04-07 saab 9-3 2.0
Hmm really? someone told me that they wouldnt work off a saab. does it matter if it's an auto or manual? my brother has 2 auto 04 9-3 2.0s ones a parts car..

·
Super Moderator
1,358 Posts
I know for a fact theyre the same because I put one on my buddy's cobalt.
And I'm not sure if the auto saab uses the same half shaft

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I know for a fact theyre the same because I put one on my buddy's cobalt.
And I'm not sure if the auto saab uses the same half shaft
Either way I found one from a guy up in Harrison ohio picked it up last night hell got 2 axles and the half shaft for 70$ hell of a deal dude actually has a crap ton of parts I was blown away. Looks like i found my parts guy for sure

·
Super Moderator
1,358 Posts
Either way I found one from a guy up in Harrison ohio picked it up last night hell got 2 axles and the half shaft for 70$ hell of a deal dude actually has a crap ton of parts I was blown away. Looks like i found my parts guy for sure
His name max by chance?

·
Super Moderator
1,358 Posts
He's a friend of mine. Super cool dude 🤙

1 - 13 of 13 Posts