Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a thread to answer many of your questions about my recent exploits into my recent mods.

1st off the 3.25" pulley will produce 14 psi but the car will bleed some of it off in the top rpm range so you will have less psi at the end of the gear. I have found a way around it and will post that at the end.

I hooked up my LM-1 Wideband to the car but unfortunately I have lost the serial cable somewhere. I have ordered a new one and will be happy to share the AF logs when I get it.

AF ratio: It is good news. At idle the car stays almost perfectly at lamda. I was reading 14.5 A/F. It soon richens up at WOT and I was seeing around 11.9 A/F in the upper range of the RPMS. I seen nothing on my wideband display that scared me.

Now how I bypass the solenoids control. I got the idea from a document I read on how the 1988 MR2 supercharged was using a similar mod. It turns out it is also a mod the 03/04 cobra guys use. This is a mod that only needs to be done if you swap out to a different pulley. I have seen no decrease in MPG (maybe a 20 miles per tank decrease that can be attributed to making more power.)

Disconect the top vacuum line going to the actuator. Next take the vacuum line going from the intake manifold to the solenoid and disconect it at the solenoid. Plug that line into the top port of the actuator. Remove the small vacuum line from the SC (the one whos end you already removed from the actuator) and get a longer piece of line. Run the longer vacuum line between the SC and the back of the solenoid.

Heres how mine looks


Now I did have my car shut down on me once apparently due to a misfire. I am going to swap out my stock spark plugs for a stage colder copper plugs and regap them to .035". I also think I am going to look into ALKY injection.

So there it is for ya. I am happy to answer any questions that you may have.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
609 Posts
Im thinkin about buyin that pulley for my car pretty soon, is there a nice gain from it?? And there isnt any other mods u have to do to it right?? I mean so it wont blow up when i put the pulley on??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Redlinekid_04 said:
Im thinkin about buyin that pulley for my car pretty soon, is there a nice gain from it?? And there isnt any other mods u have to do to it right?? I mean so it wont blow up when i put the pulley on??
Ive only had it done for 3 days, hasnt blow up yet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
103 Posts
Any plans to get er onto a dyno? I'm not at all saying that I don't believe you, but butt-dynos are pretty far from scientific. It'd be nice to see what the actual gains are so ppl can decide for themselves if this is worth it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
629 Posts
i 2nd that motion.dyno

went out last night to the races and a redline guy i know was there

and he just pluged up the return line to the boost selonoid and he had a sydne header

he pulled on me about 1 to 2 car lenths he beat and evo and some stangs only lost to

a mach 1 w/ a secret i beat a 94 vett off a 3rd down shift that waz tight.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
DanM said:
Any plans to get er onto a dyno? I'm not at all saying that I don't believe you, but butt-dynos are pretty far from scientific. It'd be nice to see what the actual gains are so ppl can decide for themselves if this is worth it.
Yep trying to get onto a dyno thursday, but I never talked about the power increases so I am unsure of the butt dyno comment?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,041 Posts
riz906 said:
he pulled on me about 1 to 2 car lenths he beat and evo and some stangs only lost to

a mach 1 w/ a secret i beat a 94 vett off a 3rd down shift that waz tight.
I think I lost you somewhere in this jumbled mess....?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
103 Posts
clownhair said:
Yep trying to get onto a dyno thursday, but I never talked about the power increases so I am unsure of the butt dyno comment?
No I know you didn't say anything specific. I'm just sayin I'd like to see a dyno, that's all. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
DanM said:
No I know you didn't say anything specific. I'm just sayin I'd like to see a dyno, that's all. :)
They told me to call them Wednesday to see if they can make room for me. They are apparently very busy right now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
681 Posts
What's the white line coming off the gold joiner piece? I didn't see that explained in your explanation...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
681 Posts
Ahhhh....so without a boost gauge, I just need to join those two lines?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
96 Posts
did the mod. Ran ok for awhile tell I romped on it and it showed about 13 psi (5000 rpm approx.) . Then it misfired or something and shut down with a cel. Car was Idling really rough. I switched the hoses back and it ran fine except for the cel was still on. I pulled the radio(battery) fuse and got the cel to go out but I think I'm gonna wait for the psi fi kit. I don't think this is the answer.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
290 Posts
Badanthony said:
did the mod. Ran ok for awhile tell I romped on it and it showed about 13 psi (5000 rpm approx.) . Then it misfired or something and shut down with a cel. Car was Idling really rough. I switched the hoses back and it ran fine except for the cel was still on. I pulled the radio(battery) fuse and got the cel to go out but I think I'm gonna wait for the psi fi kit. I don't think this is the answer.

this kickback is the factory ecu saying no way jose. the codes you will see can vary:

lean air fuel mixture
and/or
map sensor high input
and/or
incorrect fuel air metering

this car as we have said in the past has a very advanced engine management system. it has a map sensor/mass air meter and drive by wire throttle all of which have to be speaking on the same wavelength. this cars a testy bitch with PMS :eek:

once you buy her some roses she gets happy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
681 Posts
So, Mark, what are you guys doing to overcome the factory PCM settings and controls? I'll buy it, whatever it is....

By the way, I need to get you to our next open house at Universal Technical Institute...and to work with me in my Hot Rod U program - I run the school's "Bolt On Performance" program, and get free dyno time, with 15 domestic and import cars to choose from for playtoys...
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
290 Posts
Jim Lewis said:
So, Mark, what are you guys doing to overcome the factory PCM settings and controls? I'll buy it, whatever it is....

By the way, I need to get you to our next open house at Universal Technical Institute...and to work with me in my Hot Rod U program - I run the school's "Bolt On Performance" program, and get free dyno time, with 15 domestic and import cars to choose from for playtoys...
wow that sounds pretty cool. we are tuning the car with our piggyback controller to overcome these issues. the way things are looking we will possibly have the piggyback ready to activate our alcohol/water injection system as well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
681 Posts
Fantastic - I'm in a cool position to offer dyno time when tuning what we have - of course, there's my Redline...we also have a Mini Cooper S and a Grand Prix GTP. We just installed an STS turbo with intercooler on a 2004 GTO, but we're having boost problems - no production. Plenty of noise, but no boost....

I'd like to meet up with you and have you tour my shop and check out the roller and water dynos - could be fun, let me know.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Badanthony said:
did the mod. Ran ok for awhile tell I romped on it and it showed about 13 psi (5000 rpm approx.) . Then it misfired or something and shut down with a cel. Car was Idling really rough. I switched the hoses back and it ran fine except for the cel was still on. I pulled the radio(battery) fuse and got the cel to go out but I think I'm gonna wait for the psi fi kit. I don't think this is the answer.
Sure you have the hoses correct? I have had mine switched for about 5 days without this problem.

also, I have had the car go into limp mode before, it has usually required me to reset the ecu even after returning to the stock configuration. Yours didn't happen to do this?
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top