Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just read that there are aftermarket pulley upgrades for the Mini Cooper s. The pulley allows the sc to boost an extra 4 psi which helps the Mini make 20 more hp. There is also a chip that comes with the upgrade to optimize the a/f ratio for the increased boost. My question is this, if the Mini and RedLine have the same eaton supercharger, then could these aftermarket pulleys be used on a RedLine?

·
Registered
786 Posts
Great research. Let see what the board posts.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
the pulley could be used, but it's likely the same size as the stock pulley, plus don't go and swap out pulley's quite yet, you'd prefer to wait until somebody has developed a solution, as there has been a pulley swap done (supposedly), and it fried the blower.

i don't think a pulley swap should be done until the exhaust is opened up more than it is

·
Registered
3 Posts
You cant go swapping pulleys until you open up your exhaust more, take more air in, run the engine cooler, and run colder plugs. So get a header, catback exhaust, colder plugs, and a 180* tstat.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wasnt planning on swapping my pulley, just looking for potential upgrades. I'd heard about the fried sc due to a swapped pulley and was just wondering why it didn't fry the Mini's sc. Besides someone recently told me the Mini has an m45 while the RedLine has an m62. Also, the mini might not have been pushing full boost. And lets not forget that they have different sized pulleys and belts all together.

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
Jo3Modd3r said:
Eh go ahead and get a pully, your car will still be very slow and rubber made.
Suprising that someone of your intelligence level was able to navigate to another section of the forum besides "General Discussion".

·
Registered
609 Posts
This kid is nothing but a loser... Im sorry but u are a sad sad little man....

·
Registered
37 Posts
20 hp from 4 psi, thats kinda not good imo theoretically a car should gain around 10hp per psi, 5 like the mini is kinda weak.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
I'd also like more info on this. I've heard that some of the S/C Pontiac guys are just installing just an overdrive pulley w/o problems. I know little about the computer aspect of cars but part of me thinks that it would either sense the additional air & add addtl fuel to compensate or release it though the bypass. That or detonate badly. :D

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Eddie said:
20 hp from 4 psi, thats kinda not good imo theoretically a car should gain around 10hp per psi, 5 like the mini is kinda weak.
So then you mean to say that the RedLine gets 125hp from the supercharger? That would mean that the engine alone only has 80 hp :rolleyes: .

·
Registered
487 Posts
RedLined said:
So then you mean to say that the RedLine gets 125hp from the supercharger? That would mean that the engine alone only has 80 hp :rolleyes: .

yeah no kidding, sounds like a dumb turbo myth

PSI to HP depends on way too many things, including PSI on WHAT

·
Registered
69 Posts
RedLined said:
The supercharger uses up some engine hp to run. If our's eats up 40 - 50 hp at max boost then the engine is producing 120-130 hp ... ION Quad Coupe advertises 140 hp.

There is definately more involved than a straight psi to hp conversion, but those numbers make a little more sense.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts