Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got this off the Cobalt site:

Turn up the boost on your Cobalt SS!

We have been in contact with a manufacturer of supercharger pullies. What can you expect? Expect an easy to install kit allowing you to quickly swap out your supercharger pullies giving you the flexability of quick tuning.

Pulley sizes to expect:

- 3.40"
- 3.25"
- 3.10"
- 3.00"
- 2.90"
- 2.80"

Pretty Cool!

Things are all coming together, the headers are shipping next week, PSI-F/I are working on things for us, and now this!

YEE-HA!

·
Premium Member
3,231 Posts

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
but have they actually put them on a redline? i'm pretty sure some more mods would need to be done to make cooling more efficient before we can just swap out pullies...

·
Premium Member
3,231 Posts
its an intercooler supercharged system. The intercooler will keep what astronomical numbers you see from heat. The biggest problem is that eatons numbers for heat dont have an intercooled system numbers. the pulleys will raise heat but it wont be as hot once it runs through the intercooler.

·
Registered
416 Posts
goofyguy said:
its an intercooler supercharged system. The intercooler will keep what astronomical numbers you see from heat. The biggest problem is that eatons numbers for heat dont have an intercooled system numbers. the pulleys will raise heat but it wont be as hot once it runs through the intercooler.
Fair enough. You try it first and tell us how it works.

·
Premium Member
3,231 Posts
one mod at a time. Exhaust first. then the intake at the end of this month then the pulleys before spring break. There are a ton of them on the gtp's with no problems at all.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
goofyguy said:
one mod at a time. Exhaust first. then the intake at the end of this month then the pulleys before spring break. There are a ton of them on the gtp's with no problems at all.
although a stock pulley on a gtp is nowhere near putting the blower at it's peak rpms as the redline's blower is

·
Registered
767 Posts
The peak RPM's of the Eaton M62 is 14,000, so I think we are safe. I say we let a chevy guy try this first and see if his car blows up.

·
Registered
399 Posts
LoungeLizard said:
I say we let a chevy guy try this first and see if his car blows up.
Agreed. I'll wait to see.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
i'd also like to point out that after 3 pulls on the dyno, the coolant for the intercooler was so hot that it started to come out the overflow, so intercooler or not, increasing heat from the blower is not a good thing until cooling issues are taken care of

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Agreed, let the Chevy guys try first. The post did say that it was Eaton, the supercharger manufacturer, that was coming out with the upgrade - not an aftermarket company.

Perhaps Eaton is already addressing the heat problem.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
can someone post a link for the thread stating cobalt/rl pulley upgrades, i looked closer on cobaltss.net, and it is for the m90/m112, nothing for us over there

·
Premium Member
290 Posts
we are working diligently on bringing you guys a pulley, tuned ecu, fuel upgrade package. I hope to have some information very very soon, as Redline parts development is on our front burner :D

As for the heated intercooler, I think what was happening was inadequate airflow on the dyno. the redline has a huge heat exhanger and under road going situations in our datalogging the laminova IC does an incredible job without much of a heatsoak issue even on mutiple back to back runs.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
that's probobly the reason for the lower dyno numbers we got, i.e., 186.7hp, i bet it would have been MUCH higher if they had a bigger fan...

·
Registered
416 Posts
Vita said:
that's probobly the reason for the lower dyno numbers we got, i.e., 186.7hp, i bet it would have been MUCH higher if they had a bigger fan...
I agree. Especially since I have seen other people dyno their redline at 210.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
exactly my point, i'd say 186 is quite good for having the coolant spilling over, so you know even in the most extreme conditions, she still performs!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts