Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure what section to put this in but anyways.

When my warrenty is up is it possible to put a "push button" to start my car. So when you turn the key it won't start it anymore but when I push the button it will like in an s2000(only car i can think of with it right now). My warrenty will be up in 2700 miles.

·
=[ÜBER MODERATOR]=
9,519 Posts
korax123 said:
Not sure what section to put this in but anyways.

When my warrenty is up is it possible to put a "push button" to start my car. So when you turn the key it won't start it anymore but when I push the button it will like in an s2000(only car i can think of with it right now). My warrenty will be up in 2700 miles.
pontless mod. Did it to one of my other cars for the hell of it. I regretted it.

·
Registered
6,945 Posts
i remember thinking about this and reading about a guy that did it, or was outlining how to do it, on saturnfans. IIRC it was pretty difficult despite the logic behind it - make the button close the circuit that the 'start' section closes on the ignition... i dont' remember it being that simple. i know there's somebody that's either done it or outlined how to do it on saturnfans, tho...

·
=[ÜBER MODERATOR]=
9,519 Posts
bc3tech said:
i remember thinking about this and reading about a guy that did it, or was outlining how to do it, on saturnfans. IIRC it was pretty difficult despite the logic behind it - make the button close the circuit that the 'start' section closes on the ignition... i dont' remember it being that simple. i know there's somebody that's either done it or outlined how to do it on saturnfans, tho...
are you serious? it is rediculously easy. Cut the ignition wire, and put a high current swith between that and a really good ground (the ground wire that is along side the wire you cut works great)

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know it's pointless but it makes the car feel more sporty to me. I guess I would just like it for the cool factor lol.

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
I think it'd be slick, given our car's ability to start itself after you've released the key.

Tap the dash and wait for it to crank.

In theory, you only need to put a high current momentary switch in place of the two wires that go to that part of the ignition switch. It might not even have to be high current, since it seems like our ignitions are just sending a pulse to the BCM.

·
The Flintstone
815 Posts
Hey guys, you can buy a kit that includes a pretty clear red button backlit, includes wires and instructions, chrome mounting bezel and everything from AutoZone or Advance Auto.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
FlintIonQC said:
Hey guys, you can buy a kit that includes a pretty clear red button backlit, includes wires and instructions, chrome mounting bezel and everything from AutoZone or Advance Auto.
Ricer

j/k

·
Registered
6,945 Posts
NoRemorse said:
are you serious? it is rediculously easy. Cut the ignition wire, and put a high current swith between that and a really good ground (the ground wire that is along side the wire you cut works great)
k so clearly my memory fails me then. :freak5: :shrug03:

·
Registered
967 Posts
thought about this also:thinkerg: :pimp:

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Icon said:
Have you considered implementing keyless entry and start while you're at it?
They make keyless entry??????

·
Registered
451 Posts
Remote Functionality

korax123 said:
They make keyless entry??????
To my limited knowledge, some vehicles (e.g. C5/6 Corvette) are able to detect the presence of the key fob. When the key fob is not in close proximity the doors automatically lock (and unlock when you approach the vehicle).

Although there are significant implementation challenges, having the vehicle's theft deterrent system recognize a valid driver could possibly prevent the need for you to remove, insert, and turn the key (i.e. you could just open the door push start).

Sorry if this is a wild tangent to your idea.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Icon said:
To my limited knowledge, some vehicles (e.g. C5/6 Corvette) are able to detect the presence of the key fob. When the key fob is not in close proximity the doors automatically lock (and unlock when you approach the vehicle).

Although there are significant implementation challenges, having the vehicle's theft deterrent system recognize a valid driver could possibly prevent the need for you to remove, insert, and turn the key (i.e. you could just open the door push start).

is that one of those keys in the pocket leads to nut cancer things? how does it get the signal?
the push button is a cool idea... pointless but cool:)

·
Registered
967 Posts
Icon said:
Have you considered implementing keyless entry and start while you're at it?
Just dont leave your car in gear thats a bad choice

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Icon said:

I was being sarcastic with my remark. The corvett keyfob is cool though. i work at a dealer for a little and messed with them.

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
I work at a Volvo dealership and the '07 S80's(biggest sedan) comes with a pushbutton start. I HATE it! Totally pointless and just another thing to break, but the snobby golf playing owners think it's the greatest thing ever. In reality it now takes about two more steps to get the damn car started than the regular turn key way. You have to insert what's pretty much a small rectangular key fob into a slot on the dash, step on the brake pedal, then push the start/stop button next to the slot where the key fob goes. I really dislike the whole setup. Give me simple and i'm happy.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts